Not open for further replies.
XVrwtyB.jpg

Valobra Pre Shave
M&F
ATT R1 + TRiAD
Feather
Saponifico Varesino Colonia
Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa

Loving the Arlington. Scent, latherability, slickness and cushion are all on the money for me. Now keen to try out the other scents. How would you describe the Windsor? Arlington is very much a citrus scent, so is a good match for my favourite aftershave (lucky Tiger)
If you like leathery and smoky then you'll love Marlborough.

1. Preshave: Mama Bear's Eucalyptus glycerin shave soap
  2. Razors: Gold Dollar & ZY Extra Sharp
  3. Soap: Castle & Forbes - Lime
  4. Brush: Dovo silvertip
  5. Postshave: Blades Grim - Smolder
I ran both of these razors over the stones last night and thought that I had some good edges. They both took the hairs off my arm and felt good on the thumbnail test. However, on the whiskers they fell very short. Annoying really, both edges looked good under a loupe, I guess I have not yet set that bevel correctly. Not annoyed yet, as I'm very much still learning honing, and from all accounts this is a skill that requires a lot of practise.

1. Preshave: Mama Bear's Eucalyptus glycerin shave soap
  2. Razors: Gold Dollar & ZY Extra Sharp
  3. Soap: Castle & Forbes - Lime
  4. Brush: Dovo silvertip
  5. Postshave: Blades Grim - Smolder
I ran both of these razors over the stones last night and thought that I had some good edges. They both took the hairs off my arm and felt good on the thumbnail test. However, on the whiskers they fell very short. Annoying really, both edges looked good under a loupe, I guess I have not yet set that bevel correctly. Not annoyed yet, as I'm very much still learning honing, and from all accounts this is a skill that requires a lot of practise.
I don't care what anyone says,they are very poorly made razors.Yes plenty of Yanks have had them honed and rave about them,I bought a couple to try and they were just plain rubbish.Spine to edge ratios are wrong by a long way,lots of work to get anywhere near a decent edge,crap steel and a waste of ,(very little),money.Scales are a joke as well.
My opinion.

Last edited:
I don't care what anyone says,they are very poorly made razors.Yes plenty of Yanks have had them honed and rave about them,I bought a couple to try and they were just plain rubbish.Spine to edge ratios are wrong by a long way,lots of work to get anywhere near a decent edge,crap steel and a waste of ,(very little),money.Scales are a joke as well.
My opinion.
Good to know, In a way I am just using them to learn technique before switching over to some of my more $$ razors. However, by the sounds of it I may be wasting my time.

Pre: Warm water, Crew oil
Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Red Lead

My opinion.
That's interesting. I've consistently heard they are rubbish but have also seen others put an edge on them and say they are alright. I'm guessing they'd probably take an edge but the question is for the money you wouldn't think the quality of steel would be high and so how long is the edge going to last. I'm surprised at the fragility (relatively speaking) of the edges on my good blades so how good could a gold dollar be. I don't think I've heard others complain about the geometry of the Gold Dollars but again that makes sense as geometry is often not perfect (thinking more of warping than spine to edge ratio) on better blades....... So what were you seeing in this respect? Thick spines compared to blade width?
I'm curious to hone one and see for myself but not sure I want to waste the time.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 'Platypus' shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Tim Keech Memorial Auction P&C LE shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (5)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Tim Keech Memorial Auction P&C LE aftershave splash
Fragrance: None

The release of Coronet Fourgere by @SchoolForAnts made me reach for one of his soaps this morning. None better than the Memorial Auction LE.

Ahhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.