Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
DA02tjPm.jpg

Soap: Foroafeitado LE
Brush: Vulfix Travel
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (3)
Very reliable shave for what should be my last trip west for the year.

gQwSuCrm.jpg
SPMEk3fm.jpg

No arguing with the drought and heat out here.

That looks brutally dry and barren, not the kind of place I would want to break down!

That's interesting. I've consistently heard they are rubbish but have also seen others put an edge on them and say they are alright. I'm guessing they'd probably take an edge but the question is for the money you wouldn't think the quality of steel would be high and so how long is the edge going to last. I'm surprised at the fragility (relatively speaking) of the edges on my good blades so how good could a gold dollar be. I don't think I've heard others complain about the geometry of the Gold Dollars but again that makes sense as geometry is often not perfect (thinking more of warping than spine to edge ratio) on better blades....... So what were you seeing in this respect? Thick spines compared to blade width?
I'm curious to hone one and see for myself but not sure I want to waste the time.
The spines were very thick relative to the width of the blade.Also the heel on them needed some grinding to be able to get the edge to actually sit on the stone,after managing to get the edge to sit I started to mod.I bought three as I wanted to modify two of the profiles to have a Spanish point style but when working,very gently,on the diamond wheel they chipped/shattered easily.Attempted to mod the third for a Kamisori style and went very slowly but the blade just kept chipping.

Been away for a while and not keeping track of shaves....but here's one from this week.

JCKmBJyl.jpg

Proraso Green Pre
Vulfix 404 Grosvenor
Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary SE
Merkur 34C
Feather
Thayers
GF Trumper Skin Food​
Were you trying to hunt down the Great White Shark @Monsta_AU ? Mr Assassin’s Creed :smug::smuggrin: if so give him a big :kiss: for me :happy:, because cause I’m trying to cheer him up.

Last edited:
Pre: Warm water, Proraso Green
Razor: Gillette Slim H 1 1962 (5)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green

pic host

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Yaqi DOC + RR bamboo handle
Blade: Astra Green (5)
Bowl: Face lather
Soap: RR xXx
Pre: Shower / Washpool Face Cleanser Bar + PAA Cube
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon + Australian Lemon & Tea Tree Cream

Last two shaves with this setup were super smooth and efficient. Surprising what a budget DE combo can achieve. Consistent DFS in two easy passes... Happy shaves!

wTKaM6u.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Karve ‘D’ Plate....
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Green....
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Debonair....
Soap: AP Reserve Passione....

All round Sexy....

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Karve ‘D’ Plate....
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Green....
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Debonair....
Soap: AP Reserve Passione....

All round Sexy....

Just like you - right?

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Thater boar shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Saponifico Varesino 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (6)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve Aqua di Sydney aftershave splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Aqua di Gio EDP

Sometimes I forget just how good a combination can be when I don't use it for a while - this is a great combination!

Have a great Friday guys (y)

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Thater boar shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Saponifico Varesino 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (6)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve Aqua di Sydney aftershave splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Aqua di Gio EDP

Sometimes I forget just how good a combination can be when I don't use it for a while - this is a great combination!

Have a great Friday guys (y)

That Boar looks like it’s coming along nicely - developing a splay....🤓🤓🤓

9eUgoRTl.jpg

It’s been too long since I’ve used the Proraso pre/post cream. Today the weather has warranted it so I used it for both pre and a smidgen post. All 3 passes were delightfully cooling, and to finish with some Passione was the icing on the cake!

It’s also been sometime since I’ve broken out the 37c slant. Paired with a new Gillette platinum, it works brilliantly for me yet the weight seems light after using the Rex or Rockwell 6s so much. It almost lured me into using more pressure particularly on the face cheeks.

Now I’m on the train and either there is a baby close by or someone shat their daks! :sick:

9eUgoRTl.jpg

It’s been too long since I’ve used the Proraso pre/post cream. Today the weather has warranted it so I used it for both pre and a smidgen post. All 3 passes were delightfully cooling, and to finish with some Passione was the icing on the cake!

It’s also been sometime since I’ve broken out the 37c slant. Paired with a new Gillette platinum, it works brilliantly for me yet the weight seems light after using the Rex or Rockwell 6s so much. It almost lured me into using more pressure particularly on the face cheeks.

Now I’m on the train and either there is a baby close by or someone shat their daks! :sick:

Or both....🤓🤓

Razor: E3 1959 Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Lather: Regular Shaving Cream

This time I didn't do a full shave, but instead it was a quick touch up job. The Red Tip is my all time favorite Super Speed as it seems to shave closer and cleaner than the other 1950's Super Speeds; the Flare and Blue Tip.

2qLpQB6l.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Calendula/Chamomile VII
Brush: Vie-Long Black Horse 4312
Razor: Lindberg Munchen
Enjoyed this sunny goodness this morning. Soap lathers initially into a stringy emulsion similar to Barrister Reserve Soap then develops into a thick cream. There was some really nice sweetness coming off the soap this morning along with some other classic notes. VIII is definitely worth pursuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.