Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 08 July 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wickham 1912 ~ Ninfeo di Egeria
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3ONE6 Knurled / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #2
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

XNnFLDH.jpg

Heljestrand MK 32
Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
Semogue TSN LE Boar
SV Tundra Artica
SV Tundra Artica balm
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver Edp

XNnFLDH.jpg

Heljestrand MK 32
Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
Semogue TSN LE Boar
SV Tundra Artica
SV Tundra Artica balm
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver Edp
Aaah! Excused me @Jamie you’re picture says you’ve been using a Muhle Synthetic brush not the Semogue TSN LE Boar

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B&M Cologne Russe shaving soap
Razor: Vintage L 1 Gillette 'Slim" adjustable (5)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: B&M Cologne Russe splash
Fragrance: N/A

Imgur has changed something when accessing images via the web on a PC which is a pain :(

Funny talking about B&M as "an old school favourite" it was the new kid on the block once ...

Last edited:
SERt1Sel.jpg

Soap: Pb No: 34 aka Green Dwarf
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Muhle R41 Twist
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
AS: Pb Black Spruce
The GSB made more promises than the combination could deliver. Good shave but I don't think the GSB is the best match for the R41.

Brush: moka express
Razor: 6s
Soap: proraso green
Balm: nivea sensitive
Edp: fresca
Same setup as yesterday but with the current glorious weather I had to dig out the old favourite fresca and give it a run.my opinion on day 2 using the badger brush and it's really confirming my old feelings.it does provide a nicer lather say 10% better than synth but it also takes 40% longer and God only knows how much extra soap to do it that unlike synthetic it doesnt give back but just holds onto it.i will stick out the week but I think it will go back to being an occasional weekend luxury when I've got time to enjoy the process. @nav1 I think had it right synthetics are like a lotus all performance with no frills while badger is more like a Bentley luxurious and comfortable at the trade off of higher running costs(time+soap).

No pic today.

Yaqi synthetic brush
Merkur 34hd
Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum
B&M Cologne Russe splash.

Great shave today, unfortunately I found the lid of the B&M is cracked and volume depleted. (My bag smells lovely.) Will investigate repair/replacement options for sending on.

Pre: Warm water, Proraso Green
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley, D plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blades
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green

IMG-4646.jpg

ok0G2ce.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: XPEC Original
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Derby Extra (3)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EdT

Three passes for a DFS result. Lovely suds from the XPEC. I continue to be surprised by how polarising the scent of this croap is for punters, as I find it to be delightful and seemingly uncontroversial.

My Derby trial is over. I can understand why some shavers recommend this blade as a starter blade for new wet shavers, as it gives a lot of feedback and is forgiving, and hence less of a transition from a disposable or cart. For my needs, it is lacking in sharpness and to some extent smoothness.

First use of the Guerlain L'Homme Ideal fragrance. A bold modern scent from the typically traditional and conservative house of Guerlain, but I say "Well played!"
It opens with intense sweet citrus, which slowly transforms to subtle notes of almond and cherry, resting on a base of warm woods. And for me at least, very good longevity.

The tallow Haslinger is an excellent soap, not particularly strong on fragrance but the performance is so good it does not need much else.
Nothing to add to that statement - spot on!

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Razor: RR Mamba
Soap: Tilleys Musk soap
Pre: Shower
Post: APR Festivus sample // Vaseline Intensive Care Moisturiser

A quick shower shave and man was it smooth but how I wish the Mamba was more efficient :( Such a shame... Happy shaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.