Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
... oh, and eating of course ...

tc9WtQnm.jpg
i4ZMXNpm.jpg

Sunday:
B&M reserve, cool; Charcoal Goods, OC, LVL 3; Brand new Astra

Whenever I use the lvl 3 open comb, I almost always nick myself. So yesterday I decided to take things very slow. The reserve base whipped up an amazingly slick lather, and then, with great precaution and only using the weight of the razor itself, I had an awesome 2 pass shave. One of the best I've had in a while, so very happy. I think that I am starting to master the reserve base.

V7TdniZl.jpg

Soap: Pb Drachenblut
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Game Changer .84
Blade: Ladas (3)
Thought I'd put a plug in for @Mark1966 . How are those hotel plugs going? Does the US have leaky basins as well.
I inherited this tin of plugs when cleaning out my Dad's old plumbing workshop. All sorts and sizes of old and NOS plugs. The plug at the brush tips is actually constructed of wood and leather, I had not seen it before today. I think one still has a price tag of 35 cents attached to it though I suspect most are older than that one.
The Drachenblut performed well. Much like B&M Reserve to lather up, stringy emulsion prior going to creamy lather phase.

V7TdniZl.jpg

Thought I'd put a plug in for @Mark1966 . How are those hotel plugs going? Does the US have leaky basins as well.
I inherited this tin of plugs when cleaning out my Dad's old plumbing workshop. All sorts and sizes of old and NOS plugs. The plug at the brush tips is actually constructed of wood and leather, I had not seen it before today. I think one still has a price tag of 35 cents attached to it though I suspect most are older than that one.
The Drachenblut performed well. Much like B&M Reserve to lather up, stringy emulsion prior going to creamy lather phase.
Thanks for the plug!

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RazoRock Game Changer with .84 head & Barber pole handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard for a DFS+

Date:- 12 August 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- The Club ~ The Novelist Goats Milk & Lanolin
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB SS 'D' / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

2XjlFMs.jpg

SOTD 12/08/2019

Pre: Hot shower, Proraso Green
Brush: Muhle Silver Tip
Shave Cream: JACK THE BARBER
Razor: Dovo 5/8" Round Point

Show Day in some parts of Brisbane, time off, so decided to stay with the straights. This was the first straight I ever owned and it has been a year at least since I last put her to the face. Despite the Patinated appearance a quick spin around the Shaptons (8K & 16K) and 50 laps on the leather got her back to her nimble best.

Saw this cream in my local woolies for 10 Bucks and thought what the heck! Decided to face lather with the Muhle, this brush usually works up enough for a 3 passer plus plenty left for pick ups but somewhere between the second and third pass the cream died in the brush. Working on the assumption that "it must be me" (that's usually the case!) and determined to get the most for my 10 Bucks I will persevere maybe with some other brushes on the face and also check out how it performs in the bowl.

Have a Great Week!

2XjlFMs.jpg

SOTD 12/08/2019

Show Day in some parts of Brisbane, time off, so decided to stay with the straights. This was the first straight I ever owned and it has been a year at least since I last put her to the face. Despite the Patinated appearance a quick spin around the Shaptons (8K & 16K) and 50 laps on the leather got her back to her nimble best.

Saw this cream in my local woolies for 10 Bucks and thought what the heck! Decided to face lather with the Muhle, this brush usually works up enough for a 3 passer plus plenty left for pick ups but somewhere between the second and third pass the cream died in the brush. Working on the assumption that "it must be me" (that's usually the case!) and determined to get the most for my 10 Bucks I will persevere maybe with some other brushes on the face and also check out how it performs in the bowl.

Have a Great Week!

How would you describe the scent profile of the cream?

2XjlFMs.jpg

SOTD 12/08/2019

Have a Great Week!
Nicely done, have to say I'm envious of straight guys. As you can pickup any brutally sharp knife and shave with it.
Tempted myself but the hones and stones just put me off. Too much maintenance and skill required.

Scent of the soap and performance?

2XjlFMs.jpg

SOTD 12/08/2019

Have a Great Week!
And to add to the questions from others, was it a PITA to get the lid off for you too? I struggled while at the supermarket! But perhaps it was the foil cover thingy

Nicely done, have to say I'm envious of straight guys. As you can pickup any brutally sharp knife and shave with it.
Tempted myself but the hones and stones just put me off. Too much maintenance and skill required.

Scent of the soap and performance?

I chucked the box when I got home but I think the scent was described as subtle sandalwood. My last sandalwood was Truefitt and Hill and it was unmistakable, maybe JACKS is just a little too subtle for my bugle! As for performance, at first good enough, lathers well and does not dissipate on the face but as the lather went AWOL in the brush so did the cushion and glide. To be fair it is the first time out for this soap and probably too soon to call it, will persevere and see what happens. Good amount for 10 Bucks though.

I was of the same opinion when I got into straights and the maintenance required. I did plenty of research around techniques and equipment and slowly developed a method that works for me. It doesn't happen overnight but like most things it's certainly doable.

V7TdniZl.jpg

Thanks for the concern mate - actually the hotel in Chicago DID have issues with the plug! Better here in Colorado Springs. 😃

IMG-20190812-093544.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Karve SB Brass (D plate)
Blade: Astra Blue (3)
Bowl: Perreira Unbreakable bowl
Pre: Shower + Washpool Face Cleansing bar
Soap: APR Skye Fall
Post: APR Skye Fall splash // Vaseline Intensive Care moisturiser

:love: Those times when you wish it could be winter ALL THE TIME!!! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.