Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DDL8OF.jpg

Same setup as yesterday with bowl lather. The YAQI synthetic has made all the difference to the B&M Reserve experience.
I noticed in the WC video the guy with the big dense brush was the one having problem lathering and similar IME.
Photo and lather shot after 2 passes and DFS with no blade tabs.
Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: YAQI - Sagrada Familia 24mm Synthetic Tuxedo Knot
Soap: B&M Reserve Spice
Bowl: Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery
Razor/Blade: Merkur – Progress #1 / Polsilver #1
Post-shave: B&M Reserve Spice
How’s the Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush @Holiday ???

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: SV 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (6)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Aqua di Sydney shaving soap splash
Fragrance: Aqua di Gio

Final use of this combination today. Will have something different for tomorrow and early Monday before I head off on another trip. Must say that it has been a joy to use this stuff and I've appreciated the full week of it.

Happy Saturday guys!

9oJiO98l.jpg

How’s the Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush @Holiday ???
Early days yet @SpeedyPC but first impressions are good. I like the shape, size and style of the brush. The knot may still be a little big and dense for my preference, but no complaints.
Do synthetics soften or splay with use or retain shape?

Ever Ready + Gem
Simfix
Haslinger, Honig

wonderful shave with this combo and a massive thank you to @StueyB who was kind enough to send me some GEMs to try out with this vintage razor. Took a while to find the angle a couple of times and as a consequence I nicked my lower jawline. However, after just two passes I was nearly BBS. After 3, I was smooth as. I will definitely be jumping onto to Connaught shaving to get some GEMs. I could also be tempted to purchase The Blackland Sabre.​

Brush: RR boar
Face: Parker Variant (1.5)
Blade: Astra Blue (1)
Pre: Shower + PAA CaD preshave soap
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: Alum // Squadron Soap Warden splash // Vaseline Replenishing Mouisteriser

A fanstastic prework SOTD with the often neglected adjustable. I've forgotten how simple this razor is to use (very set and forget) with a heavier head and pronounced feedback. Matched with a new Astra blade I managed to achieve a near BBS in 2 simple passes (with odd touch up) and it shaves really efficiently even on the lower settings. The soap is your typical vegan offering with nice performance and a somewhat pleasant barbershop scent. Finished off with some Warden and alum as I accidently nicked myself on tthe chin :dead: Happy shave/s! :)

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Barristers Reserve Classic
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)

My first ever shave with a vintage razor thanks to @Holiday . Jeff what year is this from?

I’ll reserve final judgment until I’ve had a few more attempts, but first impressions are that it’s smooth - deceptively so. Started off at setting 4 and finished my 2 pass (WTG, ATG) shave at 7. Might have to dial it back a bit for that second ATG pass as there were a couple of weepers and irritation.

My first ever shave with a vintage razor thanks to @Holiday . Jeff what year is this from?

Hi Francis, I agree they are deceptive. I am going to try and keep low from now on. The shave is just as good with no irritation.
You have to try a vintage blade in the vintage razor, put one of @eggbert spoilers in there. BTW @revhed PIF some Astra SP if you want to try in the R41

The razor is 1969 1st quarter (O1)

Date:- 12 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Tertius
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Game Changer .68P / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #2
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Hi Francis, I agree they are deceptive. I am going to try and keep low from now on. The shave is just as good with no irritation.
You have to try a vintage blade in the vintage razor, put one of @eggbert spoilers in there. BTW @revhed PIF some Astra SP if you want to try in the R41

The razor is 1969 1st quarter (O1)

1969?? Wow that’s surreal, shaving with something that’s much older than I am but is still functional.

Yep will definitely get a Spoiler into it eventually. Just wanted to start with a Polsilver as that’s now my ‘baseline’ blade

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson LE Jubilee Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Aqua di Palma Colonia shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 (1966) Lady Gillette "Champagne"
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: Aqua di Palma Colonia splash
Fragrance: Aqua di Palma Colonia EDC

Great stuff. Haven't used a 'Lady' for a while - simply a SuperSpeed head on a longer handle. Nice chance, the software is pretty good too!

NTulp5Yl.jpg

Pre: no shower, just Razorock Mister Joe preshave soap, left on and not rinsed off
Brush: Wild West Brushworks “Amethyst Water”
Soap: Murphy and McNeil Claddagh
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Astra green (1)

I awoke this morning with a strong desire to shave after having a break yesterday. I wanted a mild shave with total comfort, and boy did the Mühle with Astra give me that!!

The first pass was effortless in every way. After a quick rinse, I had an epiphany thought, ‘why don’t I do full 3 passes in WTG/XTG/ATG?’

So I did just that.

It’s extremely rare I’ll ever do across the grain, I typically just feel it isn’t required for me, but after this shave today, I’m not sure now, it just seemed to make the ATG pass even more effortless. I didn’t need to chase any pick ups and am left with a great shave result!

Went for some post shave product with little to no scent, so a splash of the Nivea 2 Phase balash (balm splash). It’s really quite good and even though it feels a little greasy initially, it dries great and leaves the face feeling well nourished. Contains a small amount of menthol but doesn’t make your face freeze by any means. It’s cheap too, pretty sure I paid $6 from Woolworths.

Status
Not open for further replies.