Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-20191013-160458-1-01.jpg

My first try of Boellis Panama soap (sample thanks to @TomG ) and my new 1936 Aristocrat razor with a red and white Gillette Stainless blade and then Feather blade.

The soap is DIVINE. Wow. Amazing performance and cushion with slickness for days. It's pricey but clearly an outstanding product I hope to acquire one day. Thanks so much, Tom. Still have enough in the bowl for another shave so very happy.

The razor is amazing. I had 4 days growth (school holidays!) And it removed it with absolutely no blade feel on the red and white blade. Eerie. So I put in a Feather for the final pass and pickups. Slightly felt the blade with BBS. This will take some more shaves with more blades to get a real handle on things. Great fun, of course
Glad you liked it, Mate. Even happier that Mrs Greenpike liked the Boellis aftershave scent ;).

Please report back!
Sadly I got my times/days mixed up and the restaurant was closed leaving us both disappointed :ROFLMAO: Ended up going to a Chinese style noddle place and left struggling to finish both dishes as they were overly spicy/salty and to top things off they brought out our deserts first so we had to eat the ice cream first or it would naturally melt :( Excellent shave though! (y)

Wasn’t overly impressed with the first pass as it was a bit tuggy but the next three passes were quite smooth resulting in a very comfortable BBS
Hi @StratMan your review mimics my experience with Voshkods. It feels as if you have to remove a layer of protective coating to get to the sharp blade, and then they are not that sharp on subsequent days. Interested to hear after a few shaves if they are a blade you would purchase for the den?

Hi @StratMan your review mimics my experience with Voshkods. It feels as if you have to remove a layer of protective coating to get to the sharp blade, and then they are not that sharp on subsequent days. Interested to hear after a few shaves if they are a blade you would purchase for the den?

No worries will let you know, tomorrow shaving with jaws and the voskhod

Relaxing on the Fleurieu Peninsula with an assortment of shaving soap samples, because I couldn't pick a single soap to take with me for the week exploring SA's alcohol options.

So today was rockwell 6S R4 (R2 & R4 are my only options for the week. See I showed some restraint when packing).
Blade - Feather (3)
Soap - Squadron Scramble
Brush - Ministry of Shave Silvertip
Post - T.N Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Both my soap and brush are from SA, which seems appropriate. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find some local products on my travels.

Also, strangely the witch hazel reminds me of primary school art class with the scent of clag...

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Barrister and Mann Terror
Razor: 1969 Gillette Black Beauty (7,4)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)

The ‘Black Mamba’ strikes again. I thought I was being extra careful with my strokes and with less aggressive settings, but still managed to get a nick under my bottom lip. Less overall irritation compared to yesterday, but at the expense of a shave that wasn’t as close.

I really want to like this razor, but haven’t managed to find the sweet spot with it yet. I suspect @Holiday is right - a vintage razor needs a vintage blade. Will get a Spoiler into it tomorrow...

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: JAWS
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Tabac Original

Didn’t have much to shave off today from yesterdays timeless shave so decided to try ATG first pass.. that didn’t last long as it was to tuggy. Proceeded with the usual XTG and 2xATG. Not a comfortable journey, quite tuggy but job was certainly done.. smooth BBS. This blade is being replaced after two uses.

48899429158_93188888f5_b.jpg

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Soap: M&M Claddagh
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Astra Green (3)

Same gear as yesterday with the exception of the splash flavour.
One thing i learned today was that the corner tips of the R89 head are themselves pointy and sharp! A slight bit of carelessness had a bit of blood show right next to my adams apple. It was a different feeling to when the blade bites, this was a dull prick and quite obviously from the sharp corner of the razor head. Live and learn i guess.

ilaq04wl.jpg

Soap: Pb 40 Thieves
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: GEM (4)
40 Thieves is reminding me of P&Bs Iceni in that I expected 40 Thieves to be bolder whereas it is subtle and holds some facets reminiscent of the past. I think this is contributed to by the Hinoki. I was going to increase menthol strength in a future iteration but it is consistent with the current picture and enters by stealth.

Above The Tie: Colossus + S2 & Bamboo + CR1 Windsor
E. J. Menthol cream
Vintage Perma Sharp
Simpsons, M7 Manchurian

I've been looking at the Karve razors and I really like the way that both of these ATT razors shave, so I decided to do a side by side comparison. ATT also publish their blade gaps, hence I thought that these would give me a good idea for Karve plate selection. The Windsor is stated as a 0.58 mm blade gap. Whilst the S2 is stated as a 0.61 mm blade gap. Now I know that 0.03 mm is bugger all in terms of difference, but the S2, most certainly has some blade feel, which I like. Sometimes, with the Windsor baseplate, I am not sure if I am actually shaving, as I don't notice the blade. Both sides of the face felt the same though. Not surprising, due to the similar blade gaps.

Based on these blade gaps, then the B plate (0.60 mm) seems like the best bet. However, in one of his reviews @Errol mentioned that the #D plate is most similar to a Charcoal Goods level 2. I have a couple of level 2 Charcoal Goods plates and absolutely love them. Therefore, might the best bet be to go for a #C plate? I have preference for open comb razors though, so maybe a #B OC???

Any thoughts and experience welcome.

Based on these blade gaps, then the B plate (0.60 mm) seems like the best bet. However, in one of his reviews @Errol mentioned that the #D plate is most similar to a Charcoal Goods level 2. I have a couple of level 2 Charcoal Goods plates and absolutely love them. Therefore, might the best bet be to go for a #C plate? I have preference for open comb razors though, so maybe a #B OC???
Sent you a PM mate :)

ZfoAJLk.jpg

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Doug Korn Epsilon 2-band
Lather: APR Fenchurch
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

If there are any negatives to to be found in this soap base, it would be the fact, that it is just too easy to lather - which means less face time with my wonderful brush - what a brilliant shave!

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blades
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: RazoRock Blue Barbershop
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard

IMG-4993.jpg

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Barrister and Mann Terror
Razor: 1969 Gillette Black Beauty (7,6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (1)

Finally a close, blood and irritation free shave with the Black Beauty - just needed a Spoiler to unlock the magic

Last edited:
k30U55v.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, ABC Almond Oil Pre-shave Cream
Brush: M&F Brad Sears L7 Tigris Finest Badger;
Soap: Vintage Creed Epicea
Razor: Gillette Slim Aristocrat (4)
Blade: NOS Personna P74 Med Prep (7)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, ABC Sweet Almond Oil Balm
Scent: Azzaro EdT

First shave with the newly acquired Aristocrat. I thought I'd pair it with a soap from the same decade of manufacture - vintage Creed Epicea.
I had forgotten what a wonderful razor the Gillette Slim is. Very nimble, reliable and comfortable.
Three effortless passes on setting 4, resulting in a DFS+. A truly wonderful shave experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.