Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Hot shower, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-5118.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson H2 boar shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Lixiviant shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)
Post-shave: APR Lixiviant splash
Fragrance: APR Lixiviant EDP

Christmas is coming ...

jrMuz3fl.jpg

Experiment Day!!​

NR0eulyl.jpg

Wolfman WR2 1.05 vs Karve D

First shave off with what I had assumed to be very comparable razors. On the left, the WR2 and on the right, Karve with the D plate.

The blade in both razors was a once used vintage spoiler.

Being a lefty, I always begin on the left side of my face. The Karve had this side, which was a WTG north to south pass until the bottom ‘2 fingers width’ of my neck, where I go south to north. I could feel the blade against my skin, but not in a harsh way. Just enough to keep reminding me to be mindful or I’ll draw blood.

Left side done, rinse the razor and grab the WR2 for the right hand side. I won’t say I had more blade feel here, but it did feel rougher than the D plate. However I never felt threatened that I’d cut myself.

A quick rinse off and both sides were equal to my feel.

Round 1 result: Karve D is ahead by a bees dick.

Moving to the second pass, the bottom of my neck goes north to south, then I do very small criss cross strokes upwards on the remainder of my neck, before a full south to north pass on the cheek areas.

I began with the WR2 this time. Wow! The smoothness on subsequent passes with this thing is incredible! Like there is no blade loaded, literally. After a very clean second pass, which included some ATG on the upper lip, I switched back to the Karve.

This to me felt just like the first pass did. Blade was evident throughout, and the bastard had a nibble at my Adam’s Apple but I caught it just in time to save any real damage. Further up my face, a small dot a blood showed up as I attempted ATG near my mouth. I could definitely feel the blade but the shave was relatively smooth throughout.

Round 2 result:
The WR2 is ahead by a good margin due to its absolute smoothness. Let’s say a full length (of a horse).

A good rinse to see if anywhere needed any touch up passes, and the typical trouble areas needed some help. Notably under the chin.

Lather up again with the sublime M&M and went with the Karve first here. It had no trouble clearing the stubble which is stubborn under the chin, and while at it, I did a very quick light pass over the remainder of my neck, WTG and the face, ATG.

Swap to the Wolfman for a replica on the right and again, buttery smooth but in droves. Doing a third pass WTG on my neck feels so good to do.

Round 3 result:
Dead heat.

overall result:
WR2 wins by 3/4 of a length. In car racing terms, imagine Lewis Hamilton beating Max Verstappen by a slim margin. Sure, Hamilton costs more to have drive for you, but the results win out. But never discount Max since he can absolutely win on his day!

What I am curious to see happen, is how my stubble grows back over the day. I think I’ll report back later on with my final final thoughts of the shave battle...

TBC.

Nice comparison @tim33z , you have me worried now because I went for Karve with the E plate and may be more aggressive than assumed.
Would Karve C Plate be a closer comparison to WR2

My two cents. I would say the Karve C plate is comparable to the Wolfman WR2 0.95 gap.

Last edited:
I was feeling rather game after using the Merkur 39c last couple of shaves so was thinking of giving this a go today maybe. I'm gonna be a He-man today, forget the blade I'm using a cheap nasty boar scrubbing brush and a pink soap !:wtf:

lol, well it counts doesn't it ? it's a razor blade it says so on the sheath and blade :unsure: I'm going to need a lot more alum hahahaha

qoyT8hP.jpg
8Jj7KOC.jpg

Nice comparison @tim33z , you have me worried now because I went for Karve with the E plate and may be more aggressive than assumed.
Would Karve C Plate be a closer comparison to WR2
My WR2 gap is the 1.05mm so 1 gap above the standard 0.95 which several fellas in here have. I was a daily C plate user and would get great results, then i moved to the D plate for a good period and also had excellent shaves. This led me to converse with many WR2 users around the world to determine what gap would suit me, and if my WR2 could only be used every few days because it was too aggressive for daily use for me, i was happy with that risk.

I wouldn't be too concerned that you are getting an E plate, as from memory, talk was that there wasn't a huge step from the D to the E in SB form.

The C plate as @Nico suggests would be more standard WR2 gap and this aligns to what the global community impressions are.

Experiment Day!!​

NR0eulyl.jpg

Wolfman WR2 1.05 vs Karve D

First shave off with what I had assumed to be very comparable razors. On the left, the WR2 and on the right, Karve with the D plate.

The blade in both razors was a once used vintage spoiler.

Being a lefty, I always begin on the left side of my face. The Karve had this side, which was a WTG north to south pass until the bottom ‘2 fingers width’ of my neck, where I go south to north. I could feel the blade against my skin, but not in a harsh way. Just enough to keep reminding me to be mindful or I’ll draw blood.

Left side done, rinse the razor and grab the WR2 for the right hand side. I won’t say I had more blade feel here, but it did feel rougher than the D plate. However I never felt threatened that I’d cut myself.

A quick rinse off and both sides were equal to my feel.

Round 1 result: Karve D is ahead by a bees dick.

Moving to the second pass, the bottom of my neck goes north to south, then I do very small criss cross strokes upwards on the remainder of my neck, before a full south to north pass on the cheek areas.

I began with the WR2 this time. Wow! The smoothness on subsequent passes with this thing is incredible! Like there is no blade loaded, literally. After a very clean second pass, which included some ATG on the upper lip, I switched back to the Karve.

This to me felt just like the first pass did. Blade was evident throughout, and the bastard had a nibble at my Adam’s Apple but I caught it just in time to save any real damage. Further up my face, a small dot a blood showed up as I attempted ATG near my mouth. I could definitely feel the blade but the shave was relatively smooth throughout.

Round 2 result:
The WR2 is ahead by a good margin due to its absolute smoothness. Let’s say a full length (of a horse).

A good rinse to see if anywhere needed any touch up passes, and the typical trouble areas needed some help. Notably under the chin.

Lather up again with the sublime M&M and went with the Karve first here. It had no trouble clearing the stubble which is stubborn under the chin, and while at it, I did a very quick light pass over the remainder of my neck, WTG and the face, ATG.

Swap to the Wolfman for a replica on the right and again, buttery smooth but in droves. Doing a third pass WTG on my neck feels so good to do.

Round 3 result:
Dead heat.

overall result:
WR2 wins by 3/4 of a length. In car racing terms, imagine Lewis Hamilton beating Max Verstappen by a slim margin. Sure, Hamilton costs more to have drive for you, but the results win out. But never discount Max since he can absolutely win on his day!

What I am curious to see happen, is how my stubble grows back over the day. I think I’ll report back later on with my final final thoughts of the shave battle...

TBC.
What is the length of the Wolfman handle?

I was feeling rather game after using the Merkur 39c last couple of shaves so was thinking of giving this a go today maybe. I'm gonna be a He-man today, forget the blade I'm using a cheap nasty boar scrubbing brush and a pink soap !:wtf:

lol, well it counts doesn't it ? it's a razor blade it says so on the sheath and blade :unsure: I'm going to need a lot more alum hahahaha

qoyT8hP.jpg
8Jj7KOC.jpg
Cool paw print!

qoyT8hP.jpg
8Jj7KOC.jpg

I chickened out, stropped the knife for a bit and shaved my arm kinda purdy. That's going to look strange for a bit lol, So I instead got tuffer and tried the Yaqi SS Eden in beast mode with a Perma-sharp. Yikes... It may have been safer to use the knife after all.

Yaqi beast is too much for me, bit more blade feel and aggression than I'm used to. Blade certainly cut my skin easy enough too...smooth shave though after I cleaned up the bloodbath. Was only a single days growth as I'm always a daily.

XXSat5C.jpg

IMG-20191204-133912.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Head: Headblade Moto
Face: Rockwell 6S (R4 plate)
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platnium (5)
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira's Destructible Shaving Bowl
Soap: Wickham Soap Co 1912 Citrus Musk sample
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel // Nivea Men Creme

A super smooth and enjoyable DFS for today!!! Happy shaves:)

Date:- 04 December 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Fougere Angelique (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock MJ-90A / Gillette Silver Blue #5
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

Pre: Hot shower, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RAW RS-10 Mild Plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Post: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man balm, Australian Private Reserve (APR) Festivus
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-5121.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.