Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Mister Joe Glycerine soap
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf Synthetic
Soap: Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
Razor: Rockwell 6S (2)
Blade: Derby Extra (2) and out

Very easy 2.5 pass shave. The blade was beginning to show its reputation on only shave #2 so the remaining blades can be 1 and done. There's only 3 more.
If i had to pick between the Stirling balm or Soap Commander balm, i'd say SC purely as it absorbs faster. But the variety of scents that Stirling do is more wide-ranging. The middle of winter might say otherwise though.

Date: 21 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Omega 011842 Boar 27/52mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum #5
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water

10 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

KarveD w/Polsilver
Yaqi two band
Mike's Pine/Cedar
Gaia ASB

Apologies for the blurry pic!

Mike's is awesome soap! One of the artisan classics and still one of the best.

The two band is amazing. What a luxurious face lather today!

20190321-094832-01.jpg

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch

So I had a few new toys arrive recently including a Wholly Kaw Cuero Oscuro that I wanted to try.
Accordingly:
Proraso/Omega Boar
Wholly Kaw - Cuero Oscuro
Rockwell 6s (plate 6)
Rockwell blade (7)
Knize "Ten" EDT

Super excited to try this Wholly Kaw soap. Smell off the puck is not what I expected from the description. It smelt pungent and slightly and was borderline offensive. Reviews had said it mellowed out during the lather and that was the case.

It's a "dark leather" which to me smells like the outside of a pair of well worn hiking boots, not sure how I feel about it the scent at this stage, however once lathered the scent strength is very mild so no major issue...

Lathered well and soaked up water even more than Proraso. Face feel was initially great and the shave was off to a great start. Good glide and face feel to begin.

On the second pass I noticed the shave was causing a bit of irritation, but attributed it to the blade getting a bit old. Third pass told a very different story. I have a found another soap my face does not agree with. Slight burning sensation around the lips and upper cheeks.

Wasn't convinced that I hadn't just chopped my face raw with a dull blade on the 6th plate of the Rockwell so I re-lathered in the evening however my fears were confirmed. Looks like this is not a soap for me.

Terrible way to end a shave. Looks like it'll be up for a trade at some point soon.

In other news the Knize EDT is delightfull.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (4)
Post: The Stray Whisker Alum block, Captains Choice Bay Rum

Exceptionally close two pass shave (WTG, ATG) using Rockwell plate 6 with Spoiler blade. It was the smoothness which surprised me. No irritation at all today; usually the Alum stings quite a bit when I go ATG on the neck. Plate 6 is doing the business so far; enjoying it more then plate 5.

Thursday 21st

vczVCsql.jpg

My Soap / APR Santals
Antica Barbieria Colla Boar
King Pelican 32
Xerjoff Richwood

Today saw the end of the first jar of my soap scented with APR Santals, on to jar number two. It’s International Fragrance Day today and to continue the Sandalwood theme this evening it’s a rather special version of Xerjoff Richwood​

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (4)
Post: The Stray Whisker Alum block, Captains Choice Bay Rum

Exceptionally close two pass shave (WTG, ATG) using Rockwell plate 6 with Spoiler blade. It was the smoothness which surprised me. No irritation at all today; usually the Alum stings quite a bit when I go ATG on the neck. Plate 6 is doing the business so far; enjoying it more then plate 5.

nice!! i have also loaded a spoiler in my 6C (R6) ready to go for Monday's shave, looking forward to it

Last 3 Days
sCOvnsQ.jpg

Polsilver Super Iridium
Feather AS-D2
Yaqi Cola Synth
Pereira Shave Bowl
Australian Private Reserve Fougere Trois Soap/Splash

Bn6WLd2.jpg

Polsilver Super Iridium
Feather AS-D2
Yaqi Cola Synth
Squadron Soap Coronet Fougere Soap/Splash
Brut Special Special Reserve Cologne

edjSq8p.jpg

Polsilver Super Iridium
Karve CB B Plate
Yaqi Cola Synth
Declaration Grooming Sellout
Fine Platinum Splash
Armaf club de nuit intense man EDT

Pre: Shower
Razor: Karve CB (F)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6)
Brush: Omega 48
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

My first shave with the boar today. It has taken a while de-stinkify! A few shampoo washes, hand lathers and dish-washing liquid. The smell is still there but not as pungent as when I received it. Quite happy with it's performance in terms of lathering the soap. Did my usual 30 second load and had more than enough for two passes and clean up. Going to keep at it with this brush for a while to continue breaking it in and see what the famous boar hair brush soft split ends are like.

Date: 22 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Omega 10005 Boar 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra #4
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

9 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

OMG!!! My bare face, it's ALIVE!!! very soft and smooth as a baby bare bum using the FAT!!, after a shitty whole month of February shave using the Arko urinal cake has dried my skin pretty rough.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Fine Marvel w/nacet
FS Manchurian Finest
Calani - Oriental Plum
Gaia ASB

Pure luxury with the Manchurian Finest coupled with the scent of oriental plum.

The finishing on the Marvel SUCKS!! but it's become my second favorite shaver ever, after the Karve.

20190322-114301-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.