Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulip 3, Manchurian
Hart Steel, 5/8
Tallow + Steel, Morocco - P&C Meetup sample

Okay, I chose this soap from the meetup because on opening the sample pot, I liked the rather spicy scent. However, on lathering it turned into a nasty cornucopia of old wet leather, mud and spices that have been left on the shelf for too long. I then went and took a look at the T+S website and they describe this as a rose scent. I did not detect any rose whatsoever. I would certainly not purchase this soap based on the scent. But, the lather was okay. For me it had good cushion and lathered well, but was not as slick as I would like. I know that water ratio plays a huge role and I will have another go, but initial impression was a 6 out of 10. Here's a lather shot for those who like such things. Thanks P&C for the opportunity to take some samples away with me. I'll be trying the Mystic Water Sandalwood tomorrow.

Shaved with a spoiler this morning.. solid 3 days growth, first pass wtg felt like it was pulling, resulted in 4 passes.. 1 WTG, 1 XTG, 2 ATG and didnt get as close as i usually do.. dont think this is the blade for me, back to my new fav polsilver SI

Pre: Hot Shower + proraso green preshave
Razor: Rpckwell 6C, R6
Blade: Gillette Spoiler (1)
Brush: Mysterious Space Yaqi
Soap: Tabac Original

Shaved with a spoiler this morning.. solid 3 days growth, first pass wtg felt like it was pulling, resulted in 4 passes.. 1 WTG, 1 XTG, 2 ATG and didnt get as close as i usually do.. dont think this is the blade for me, back to my new fav polsilver SI

@SpeedyPC tell Stratman what he needs to hear...
I believe these smooth out beautifully after the 1st use.

Had a great shave with some no longer in production Stroppe Shop soap courtesy of the P&C Meetup box. This soap was a real treat, excellent lather with great slickness and excellent residual face feel. Scent was good too with a subtle clean barbershop style.

Big shout out to all those who contributed and made the box possible

Yaqi snow leopard
Strip Shoppe Black Tie
Rockwell (R5)
Shark stainless (3)
Nivea sensitive balm.

KarveD w/GSB
Semogue 1800 boar
Soap Commander - Courage
Gaia ASB

Very smooth shave with the GSB. Not quite as close as Polsilver but damn smooth!!

20190325-095817-01.jpg

@SpeedyPC tell Stratman what he needs to hear...
I believe these smooth out beautifully after the 1st use.

@StratMan sounds like you’ve got a very thick stubble for 3 days growth, when shaving on your first pass with the Spoiler is not a good option as YMMV.

IMHO I rate the Spoilers somewhere around 3rd for 3 days growth for example

1. Feather
2. Polsilver
3. Vintage Spoilers
4. Nacet
5. Gillette Stainless
6. Gillette Silver Blue

Spoilers are best for 2 days growth maximum shaving, unless, if you have a Muhle R41 in your den the Spoilers will shave smoothly without any issues as YMMV because everybody is different.

Last edited:
Pre: Hot towel
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Skye Fall

Earworm, Free - Fire and Water.

Date: 25 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Omega 10104 Boar 26/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell R4 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #11
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

6 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Doppelgänger Black
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (8)
Post: The Stray Whisker Alum block, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Doppelgänger Black

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream:
Squadron Soap Coronet Fougere shaving soap
Razor:
Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: NOS Wilkinson Sword 'French Browns' (2)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap Coronet Fougere aftershave splash
Fragrance:
N/A

Another great shave - thank you @SchoolForAnts !

1LgMB0Sl.jpg

bhrBSIPl.jpg

First use of the Karve with a B plate today.

First impression is that this resembles a Rockwell 2-3 shave. Importantly, after yesterday’s shave with the R5, I could very easily gone with no shave today but had I still been karveless, I’d have used the R2 today so this is a good comparison.

I’m happy with the shave today. Zero neck irritation. It was a little difficult to find the correct angle, which was more cap than guard, but once sorted it was effortless going. No fear of cuts at all.

Not sure if the way forward is to keep to the B for a few shaves or jump on the C. Depending on how this goes is key to buying more aggressive plates such as D or E.

Quality craftsmanship of the razor, as many of you guys know. No imperfections can be seen and it just oozes class to me. (TTTT for those following).

bhrBSIPl.jpg

First use of the Karve with a B plate today.

First impression is that this resembles a Rockwell 2-3 shave. Importantly, after yesterday’s shave with the R5, I could very easily gone with no shave today but had I still been karveless, I’d have used the R2 today so this is a good comparison.

I’m happy with the shave today. Zero neck irritation. It was a little difficult to find the correct angle, which was more cap than guard, but once sorted it was effortless going. No fear of cuts at all.

Not sure if the way forward is to keep to the B for a few shaves or jump on the C. Depending on how this goes is key to buying more aggressive plates such as D or E.

Quality craftsmanship of the razor, as many of you guys know. No imperfections can be seen and it just oozes class to me. (TTTT for those following).

Congratulations Tim, glad you enjoyed it. This is a fantastic razor that i really enjoyed using in the pass-around.. The build quality and feel were awesome...

for me i found the D plate to be borderline ok in aggressiveness and would of ordered the D and E if i were to get the karve, but then again i didnt spend that much time with it to find the correct angle..

@StratMan sounds like you’ve got a very thick stubble for 3 days growth, when shaving on your first pass with the Spoiler is not a good option as YMMV.

1. Feather
2. Polsilver
3. Vintage Spoilers
4. Nacet
5. Gillette Stainless
6. Gillette Silver Blue

Spoilers are best for 2 days growth maximum shaving, unless, if you have a Muhle R41 in your den the Spoilers will shave smoothly without any issues as YMMV because everybody is different.

yeah mate my stubble is quite thick and plenty of it :) I believe in razors your YMMV and mine done vary very much.. i have used the top 4 blades you listed and feel the same way. Have shaved with the feather and polsilver on a 3 day growth and these are the best for me, i reckon i tried a nacet on a big growth also cant remember how that went though.

will try the spoiler again on a smoother 1 day growth and see how that goes.

1. Feather
2. Polsilver
3. Vintage Spoilers
4. Nacet
5. Gillette Stainless
6. Gillette Silver Blue

yeah mate my stubble is quite thick and plenty of it :) I believe in razors your YMMV and mine done vary very much.. i have used the top 4 blades you listed and feel the same way. Have shaved with the feather and polsilver on a 3 day growth and these are the best for me, i reckon i tried a nacet on a big growth also cant remember how that went though.

will try the spoiler again on a smoother 1 day growth and see how that goes.

For you Gents that have a thick and heavy growth may I suggest....

IWTxA7s.jpg

Available at any Bunnings Warehouse....

Status
Not open for further replies.