Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

xgTBPWF.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Karve 'D' Plate....
Blade: Personna Red....
Brush: Tony Forsyth Custom Imperial Red....
Soap: AP Reserve Florian....

Not sure where or how I got these blades. Gillette but Wilkinson Sword - weird! Made in China which must be a good sign, right?
I've used these before. The first one felt amazing and gave a smooth shave for about 7 or 8 shaves. Every blade since then has been passable, yet lasted maybe 3 shaves at best. I've used them all up now thankfully.

Well since you used them ;) what are your thoughts please?

Not after one shave! But ...

I've used these before. The first one felt amazing and gave a smooth shave for about 7 or 8 shaves. Every blade since then has been passable, yet lasted maybe 3 shaves at best. I've used them all up now thankfully.

Here is an opinion for you!

Brush: maggard synth
Razor:general ss
Blade: p30
Soap:west coast ipa
Splash: west coast ipa
Kicking back in loch sport on holidays and the citronella quality of this set really helps as a fly and mozzie repellant! About to set of in the yak for a days fishing in the lake hopefully get some salmon or mullet so I can have a crack at a gummy on the surf beach tonight or tomorrow night.

Shower
Rockwell 6S (2)
Personna Lab Blue (1) (I think - the blade has "Super" written on it but it comes from the blue 100 pack - I give up on trying to identify Personna blades / packs)
Dove Beauty Cream Bar
Omega 48
Re-lather and cold rinse

My first go with these blades. They are sharp! At least when new - I've never got a weeper before with such a mild plate but I got one today. I'm used to being able to shave mindlessly with this plate but I will have to think about technique more here. I really didn't need more than two passes but as usual couldn't help myself. They seem to be very efficient blades though - might have to give them a try in the R1 plate which would be the first time for me to go that mild in this razor. No doubt I will be able to go to higher plates once the blade has a couple of shaves on it.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Thater boar brush @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Coronet Fougère shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Gillette "Wilkinson Sword" blade (1)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap Coronet Fougère splash
Fragrance: N/A

Not sure where or how I got these blades. Gillette but Wilkinson Sword - weird! Made in China which must be a good sign, right?

3e1Jy8rl.jpg
They're supposedly the Indian version as opposed to the white and black packs which are German...? They were my first DE blade as they were cheap but also why I quit the hobby years back - consistently gave me terrible shaves and I had too many left so gave them to my dad :) Strange that it says made in China :unsure:

January SOTD with Squadron's Soap
IMAG0343.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Head: Omnishaver
Face: Blackland Dart
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Squadron's Warden
Pre: Shower & Washpool face cleanser bar

First shave ever with the Feather and man does it live up to its reputation :nurse: Nursing a few weepers but it was worth it as I achieved a near BBS in 2 passes :) The blade compliments the Dart very well and I look forward to experimenting with my regular DEs. Nothing to add on the soap/splash except to say it's a winner on all levels... Happy shaves!

Date: 10 January 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Omega 20102 Boar 28/60mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Island Man
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #7
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water

January SOTD with Squadron's Soap
IMAG0343.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Head: Omnishaver
Face: Blackland Dart
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Squadron's Warden
Pre: Shower & Washpool face cleanser bar

First shave ever with the Feather and man does it live up to its reputation :nurse: Nursing a few weepers but it was worth it as I achieved a near BBS in 2 passes :) The blade compliments the Dart very well and I look forward to experimenting with my regular DEs. Nothing to add on the soap/splash except to say it's a winner on all levels... Happy shaves!

Excellent blade. Pairs very well with modern razors.

Pre: Hot towel, Crew oil
Razor: Timeless, 0.68 O C base plate
Blade:Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Florian

I have to admit, a straight shave with cold water is extremely good, very high on my list. In the past I have shaved with cold water but never with a good preparation and it does make a difference.
5/8" Solingen Magnetic finished on a Coticule with oil. Stropped Linen and Leather.
Excellent soap and great lather from a Vie Long Horse hair brush.
Single pass with a few small touch ups and a very comfortable DFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.