Ladas 1st use
Feather AS-D2
Yaqi Rainbow Brown Synth
APR Bombora Soap/Splash

RR GC84 w/Polsilver
Yaqi Timberwolf 26mm
Stirling - Satsuma
Gaia ASB

First run with the GC. It's a beautiful looking razor for sure!
It shaves well but is a little bitey. It's nowhere near as smooth as the Rockwell and miles away from the blissful comfort of the Karve.

Is it a keeper? Yes
Is it a "game changer"? No!!
Perhaps the cost of this SS razor disrupts the SS razor market but with shipping, that aspect provided no benefit for me.

Satsuma is a beautiful soap! Really nice scent that lingers just ever so slightly after the shave.

@StratMan
I believe you have both the GC84 and Karve...how would you compare the two?

20190212-095902-01.jpg

Pre: Warm water, Crew oil
Razor: Gillette Slim H 1 1962 (5)
Blade: NACET
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Florian

Date: 12 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C 'R6' / Vintage NOS Wizamet Polsilver Brown #9
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

It's been 12 days straight using the Arko shaving soap and it's making my skin slightly drier throughout the night, which isn't too bad in the summer season as I said before we'll always sweat sooner or later so it doesn't dry out too soon. However, I'm starting to get bored using the same soap of Arko, over and over for 12 days straight is about to rip my bloody hair out, I've only got 16 more days to go and I don't think I'll be able to keep going :wideyed::shifty:

Last edited:
Date: 12 February 2019
It's been 12 days straight using the Arko shaving soap and it's making my skin slightly drier throughout the night, which isn't too bad in the summer season as I said before we'll always sweat sooner or later so it doesn't dry out soon. However, I'm starting to get bored using the same soap of Arko, over and over for 12 days straight is about to rip my bloody hair out, I've only got 16 more days to go and I don't think I'll be able to keep going :wideyed::shifty:

Keep the faith!
What if you mix it with one of your favourite soaps for the next 16 days?

... I'm starting to get bored using the same soap of Arko, over and over for 12 days straight is about to rip my bloody hair out, I've only got 16 more days to go and I don't think I'll be able to keep going :wideyed::shifty:

Stay strong mate, keep running the race, think of the glory that is to come your way!

Shave of the Day 12/Feb/2019

Today's shave is kind go grabbed between travel trips. I came to India thinking I was staying 3 days and I packed a straight just for the hell of it. When I got here the plans changed and I am only staying one day and then I am off to Korea tomorrow. So it is a quick shave and then pack up again ready for the flight. This is an unusual shave fro me in that I am using a synthetic knot - this is the FIRST time in two years of proper shaving that I have used a synthetic. So why not go big eh?

The Brush

This is called “The King” or the “King of Chub”. The brush is a doorstop, designed by my own good hands and machined to sheeny perfection. It stands about 50mm tall and is 47mm wide at the widest point. A true stubby chubby. The knot is a 30mm, yes you read that right, a 30mm synthetic set just deep enough to give is a whole lot of back bone.

The Razor

El Capitaine from Art razor in Ukraine. This is a beast of a razor with a fantastic edge, Yuri over at Art Razor sure knows what he is doing - if you have not got an Art Razor then get one… This one is an 8/8” near wedge and again is is AWESOME. Swedish carbon steel, great scales and perfectly polished.

The soap

The second one in my stable from Crows Nest - Tortuga which means tortoise in Spanish apparently. The flavour notes for this soap are:

“Safe haven of dangerous, boisterous, drunken, and bawdy. Tortuga is pirate heaven, now make it yours.
The captains private blend of cuban tobacco, amber, spices, cherry, and clove”

It is the amber and the cherry that particularly appeal to me here and it is a rich cherry cake smell. I love it. It lather great after a short bloom, 40-60 seconds tip loading and 2-3 minutes whipping up.

Please please PLEASE Crows nest start making soap again - we need the Jack Daw!!

Other gear

Van Yulay blue resin bowl, Waterhouse knives wide strop and Proraso white preshave

Altogether and awesome three pass and clean up. Followed by my new favourite, St. John’s Bay Rum

Regards

Steve

taI3vkr.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen (Tallow)
Razor: ATT SE1 / UFO Tornado
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Acca Kappa 1869 EdP

First shave with Haslinger Ringelblumen. It has a light, pleasant scent, which to my uneducated nose has some similarities to the Palmolive Classic Stick.
It is an adjective I don't think I've used before for lather, but the tallow version of the Haslinger Ringelblumen soap produced gorgeous lather. Like the Schafmilch and Honey Haslinger soaps that I have used, the Ringelblumen lathers very easily, and produced large volumes of thick creamy lather with excellent mobility and lubricity.
Three passes and I am absolutely BBS.
I'm really digging a run with the Semogue SOC boar brush - it is getting very soft indeed, but still has good backbone and fast loading characteristics.
Finished with the delightful Acca Kappa 1869 EDP.

Monday February 11th
nTHA6jBl.jpg

Prep: Shower
Brush: H.L. Thater Butterscotch Beehive Premium White Boar
Razor: Anodized Aluminum Wolfman WR-1DC on WRH-2 (Black & Purple)
Blade: Polsilver SI
Lather: Australian Private Reserve - Bombora - Soap
Post Shave: Australian Private Reserve - Bombora - Aftershave
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve - Bombora - Eau de Toilette​

re-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forysth P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: The one, the only, ARKO! shaving soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head (replated) on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (4)
Post-shave: Mysrol Formula K aftershave splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti

Get up, no hard decisions to make about what to use. Life is simple ...

MhLF0Krl.jpg

2m1mDOV.jpg

Soap: Pb French Green Garden Hand Soap
Brush: Vulfix Travel
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Vintage Nacet (2)
Skin wasn’t that happy yesterday with the Nivea shave cream so took a lead from Dove boy. Lather unsatisfactory but still provided a very good shave without the irritation. Mission accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.