Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
LqtyblDl.jpg

Another close comfortable shave with the R3 plate. Loving this soap. Not loving the puppy having the beginnings of diarrhoea over night! :sick:

IMG-20190313-055543-01.jpg

The $5 DOC head on its first use with a great soap, a Russian red white Gillette blade and a SS Windrose handle is done.

In a shocking revelation it's not all good. Lots of audio feedback and smooth, so that's a tick, but it's a mild shave with one side more aggressive than the other. Need to check blade alignment more closely tonight when I have time because the milder side is way too mild for me. It has given me a DFS without much stress but with two pick up passes on the neck after the obligatory three main passes.

I bought two to check QC so the other one might not have the issue. But I'm a super aggressive kind of shaver when it comes to DE...

Last edited:
Leaf razor w/Polsilver
Semogue 1800 boar
SV Mannadi Sicilia
Gaia ASB

First use of the leaf 🍃 razor and boy am I impressed!!

This thing is a truly innovative design!
We often look at slight changes in blade gap, exposure etc and claim am innovative design, and they are!
But this razor takes innovation to the next level. The blade loading tray is genius, it's impossible to set the blade crooked due to the magnetized stoppers.
The pivot has a large angle of motion so one can tailor the shave to their preference...however, the leaf receives a lot of negative because I feel it comes down to how it's used.

From an the YouTube reviews I saw, the users were applying no pressure, as if it's a fixed head razor but it's a pivot head and pressure is a must to achieve a good shave. How much pressure just depends on the user preference/requirement.

So I basically used the same technique as I used to use with my mach 3 and ended up with an ultra comfortable BBS!

There is no mild or efficient with this razor because of the pivot. If you push down, you'll get a closer shave. If you take a slow stroke, you'll get a closer shave. The leaf has given me what I loved about the mach 3 but with the flexibility to use my favorite DE blades, more comfort, no tugging or irritation (presumably due to being able to use blades that are right for me).

20190313-085015-01.jpg

Leaf razor w/Polsilver
Semogue 1800 boar
SV Mannadi Sicilia
Gaia ASB

First use of the leaf 🍃 razor and boy am I impressed!!

This thing is a truly innovative design!
We often look at slight changes in blade gap, exposure etc and claim am innovative design, and they are!
But this razor takes innovation to the next level. The blade loading tray is genius, it's impossible to set the blade crooked due to the magnetized stoppers.
The pivot has a large angle of motion so one can tailor the shave to their preference...however, the leaf receives a lot of negative because I feel it comes down to how it's used.

From an the YouTube reviews I saw, the users were applying no pressure, as if it's a fixed head razor but it's a pivot head and pressure is a must to achieve a good shave. How much pressure just depends on the user preference/requirement.

So I basically used the same technique as I used to use with my mach 3 and ended up with an ultra comfortable BBS!

There is no mild or efficient with this razor because of the pivot. If you push down, you'll get a closer shave. If you take a slow stroke, you'll get a closer shave. The leaf has given me what I loved about the mach 3 but with the flexibility to use my favorite DE blades, more comfort, no tugging or irritation (presumably due to being able to use blades that are right for me).

20190313-085015-01.jpg
What the HECK!!! is this crap you've got in your den @nav1 ??? are you seriously :wideyed: shaving your Testicles with a Leaf razor :ROFLMAO:

What the HECK!!! is this crap you've got in your den @nav1 ??? are you seriously :wideyed: shaving your Testicles with a Leaf razor :ROFLMAO:

To be frank, I don't subscribe to shaving snobbery whatsoever.

This razor can't be seen as a cart razor but even if it is, it's a damn good one!

It doesn't shave quite as close as my Karve D plate but it's nearly there and it's actually easier it my skin no matter how many strokes I take over the same spot.

I'm going to shave my wife's legs with it as she's unable to do it herself after the cesarean. I'm pretty sure she'll love it.

For me, it's the best of both worlds...the super comfort of the pivot and the blades of my choice. Can't lose!! :)

To be frank, I don't subscribe to shaving snobbery whatsoever.

This razor can't be seen as a cart razor but even if it is, it's a damn good one!

It doesn't shave quite as close as my Karve D plate but it's nearly there and it's actually easier it my skin no matter how many strokes I take over the same spot.

I'm going to shave my wife's legs with it as she's unable to do it herself after the cesarean. I'm pretty sure she'll love it.

For me, it's the best of both worlds...the super comfort of the pivot and the blades of my choice. Can't lose!! :)

Mrs Nico was inquiring about the Leaf. Let me know if Mrs nav1 approves.

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Gillette Slim H 1 1962 (5)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Red lead

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Squadron Dispatch Rider
Razor: Rockwell 6C (#5)
Blade: Feather (5)
Post: The Stray Whisker Alum block, Proraso creama liquida dopobarba

Haven't used the Squadron Dispatch Rider soap in ages; almost forgot how awesome it is 👏🏾

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Santa Maria Novella shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette British Aristocrat '#15'
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (2)
Post-shave: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano aftershave splash
Fragrance: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano EDC

Suprisingly uncomfortable shave? Not really bad, but not really smooth, a little rough. The result was fine but the shaving was not as good as I'd hoped or yesterday. Technique? Must be, everything else is the same!

CFG1HCil.jpg

Last edited:
Barrister & March SOTD....

eqfxIVO.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Karve ‘D’ OC Plate....
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue....
Brush: Turn-N-Shave ‘Smoke On The Water’....
Soap: B&M Roam....

Status
Not open for further replies.