Status
Not open for further replies.
D8XI0jP.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: M&F Brad Sears L7 Tigris Finest Badger
Soap: OSP Barbershop
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade:NOS London Bridge
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Acca Kappa 1869 EDP

The OSP range of soaps is the purest expression of tallow soap that I have found. Very easy to lather, and wonderful performance and post shave.
My only criticism is that I find their scents a little weak - I prefer robust scents.
Three passes for a very confortable DFS+ result. The London Bridge blade really does work well in the Sticky.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: NOS Gillette 'Super Stainless' (7)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose aftershave splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

So nice

lQ2cNMKl.jpg

... Also can you enlighten us on the 'milk churn'? ...

Oh this is the lovely simpson brush, one of the guys here re haired it for me back in 2014 I think. Its going very well still!

simpson_-111-mc-best-f.jpg

"Inspired by Somerset's local dairy industry, the Simpson Milk Churn is turned in one size and filled with Best Badger hair. A unique looking brush & functionally superb.

Milk Churn Best Badger approximate brush specifications:

Overall brush height - 97mm
Handle height - 51mm
Knot loft - 46mm
Knot diameter - 20mm
Weight - 74g

This handle design is steeped in Simpson history."
- https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/store/brushes/best-badger/milk-churn-best-badger/

This style of brush was one of my first, if only I could find one as a vintage butterscotch ...

Pre: Shower
Razor: Karve CB (OC C)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Soap: Eufros Cronos (sample from the travelling box)

What a difference a brush makes! Had great difficulty lathering the sample with the boar brush yesterday, had to go back and reload twice and still the lather was not happening. Went at it with the synthetic today and it lathered like a champ. Maybe the sample was just too small for the boar to get it's teeth into but this battle of the boar was won by the synth. It completely changed my opinion on the performance of this soap too. Yesterday understandably none too impressed. Today excellent lather, performance and post shave feel (y)

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space
Soap: PAA CaD
Razor: Timeless 0.95 SB
Blade: Polsilver (2)
Post-shave: PAA CaD Splash

Decided to give the CaD another try today. I wanted to try my new lather technique (thanks @alfredus) against a soap that i thought was ok but wasnt up there with my favourites. I was suprised to find how good this soap turned out ot be once i built up the lather correctly. Amazing smooth shave without a hint of irritation.

46694423585_fbb34c2c9f_c.jpg

D4iqzztl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb No:35
Brush: Omega Italian
Razor: Brucke
Missed yesterday's shave as a late Saturday shave meant I could get away without on Sunday.
Lovely shave with the Brucke this morning. No:35 settled really well with the scent standing up on it's own and not so muted as post production. The scent is still lighter than what I'm after and reminds me of Soapy Science 'Hanalei' and also had a Tutti Frutti aspect. Played with some more iterations of No:35 scent yesterday. Maybe a shot of whisky will do the trick. Made the work lighter anyway.....one shot for me, one for 35.1...:)

simpson_-111-mc-best-f.jpg

"Inspired by Somerset's local dairy industry, the Simpson Milk Churn is turned in one size and filled with Best Badger hair. A unique looking brush & functionally superb.

Milk Churn Best Badger approximate brush specifications:

Overall brush height - 97mm
Handle height - 51mm
Knot loft - 46mm
Knot diameter - 20mm
Weight - 74g

This handle design is steeped in Simpson history." - https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/store/brushes/best-badger/milk-churn-best-badger/

This style of brush was one of my first, if only I could find one as a vintage butterscotch ...

That would be lovely, knotted with a 30mm Declaration B7.

Care to share what this involves Kosta? Load the B-Jesus outta it??

yeah no worries.. just the way i built lather before was a little incorrect.

It is the process of being patient and loading lather and water bit by bit until the desired result is reached. So i basically start with a near damp brush and dry load for a bit, then add a few drops of water to the puck and start loading again, few more drops etc

a patient build up until the desired super shiny lather at the consistency of Greek yogurt is reached.. no bubbles at all to be in the lather btw.

This process uses a good amount of soap and takes around 4-5min to produce but it is totally worth it. In my limited experience its all about slickness and the lather being hydrated enough. Since i have been building lather this way i have turned an average soap (CaD) into a winner. The A&E club signature in the new base is even better, and gives a super slick n shiny lather.. looking forward to re-visiting a lot of old soaps again and using a lot of product is great, cos i will be able to finally, at some point, finish my first puck of soap :)

yeah no worries.. just the way i built lather before was a little incorrect.

It is the process of being patient and loading lather and water bit by bit until the desired result is reached. So i basically start with a near damp brush and dry load for a bit, then add a few drops of water to the puck and start loading again, few more drops etc

a patient build up until the desired super shiny lather at the consistency of Greek yogurt is reached.. no bubbles at all to be in the lather btw.

This process uses a good amount of soap and takes around 4-5min to produce but it is totally worth it. In my limited experience its all about slickness and the lather being hydrated enough. Since i have been building lather this way i have turned an average soap (CaD) into a winner. The A&E club signature in the new base is even better, and gives a super slick n shiny lather.. looking forward to re-visiting a lot of old soaps again and using a lot of product is great, cos i will be able to finally, at some point, finish my first puck of soap :)
Thats my method but much better articulated by @alfredus!
It gives me a very nice sheen to the lather off the puck.

DIY pre shave oil
KarveD w/Polsilver
Yaqi synthetic
Valobra - Fougere
Anherb balm

I used the new brush today and just as I had suspected from my inspection, it is awesome!

The splay is wonderful and the density is perfect.

The handle is gorgeous. It's not a pure red, it's what I would describe as when a watermelon goes very dark, it's kind of like that...just brilliant!

20190415-100514-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.