Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 15 April 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Semogue SOC in Taj Resin Badger/Boar 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Jamestown Gentleman Special Edition
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum #10
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice

Pre: Warm water, Aloe vera gel
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green

Just out of curiosity I gave Aloe vera gel a go as pre-shave. I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed. For those who enjoy pre shave stuff, give it a go. (y)

yeah no worries.. just the way i built lather before was a little incorrect.

It is the process of being patient and loading lather and water bit by bit until the desired result is reached. So i basically start with a near damp brush and dry load for a bit, then add a few drops of water to the puck and start loading again, few more drops etc

a patient build up until the desired super shiny lather at the consistency of Greek yogurt is reached.. no bubbles at all to be in the lather btw.

This process uses a good amount of soap and takes around 4-5min to produce but it is totally worth it. In my limited experience its all about slickness and the lather being hydrated enough. Since i have been building lather this way i have turned an average soap (CaD) into a winner. The A&E club signature in the new base is even better, and gives a super slick n shiny lather.. looking forward to re-visiting a lot of old soaps again and using a lot of product is great, cos i will be able to finally, at some point, finish my first puck of soap :)
This is how I always intended the APR F2 base soap to be used.

Whilst you can get a great lather using the usual methods I specifically formulated it to react well to being lathered patiently on the puck of soap of soap itself. In my personal opinion there is a significant difference in the quality of the resulting lather as well as an improvement in slickness and post shave feel.

I encourage everyone to take the time to at least try the method mentioned above at some stage. Perhaps on a weekend or some time where you are able to spend an extra couple of minutes lathering. Not necessarily with an APR soap but any soap of your choice. In addition I encourage you not to stop lathering on the soap puck when you think you have enough lather. Add a little more water a couple of times and keep going. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the result.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: NOS Gillette 'Super Stainless' (8)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose aftershave splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

So sad to wake up and read of this -

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A truly sad day not just for France. A magnificent building, so much history.

S1V2Vcql.jpg

New brush arrived from Wild West Brushworks yesterday. It’s certainly very nicely turned and comfortable to hold.

After yesterday’s super close shave, there wasn’t much to remove today but the , plate was effortless in bringing me a smooth and comfortable shave.

APRil SOTM
IMAG0426.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
Bowl: Pereira's Unbreakable bowl
Soap: APR Lixiviant
Pre: Shower + Washpool Face Cleanser bar

Date:- 16 April 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Limited Edition
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra #9
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Last edited:
HiTOeLi.jpg

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Shavemac ATG 2017 LE
Lather: Mike's Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Every shave with the BBS-1 is consistently superb and the wonderful Mike's lather adds to a very pleasing overall experience.

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

Pre: Warm water, Aloe vera gel
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Tabac

Status
Not open for further replies.