Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (7)
Blade: NOS Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (10)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum EDT

Good to be home after a couple of days away and get a decent shave again - ahhh...

cT7vGWvl.jpg

Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Red Lead
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Today.would have been my father-in-laws 93rd birthday. His favorite aftershave old spice. Nostalgic shave remembering the good times. Playing music he enjoyed listening to.

On your procurement list?
Without hijacking the SOTD thread: Thanks again @Nico for the loan of the razors. Its truly hard to separate each razor as they're all truly "premium" razors and worthy of the price tag.
As for the CG Lvl 2 - it shaves so smoothly with efficiency somewhere between the Smart Helix plates. I'm torn as to whether to jump on the SS version as what really made this mornings shave almost perfect was the added weight from the brass Victorian handle but with uncertainty over whether Brian will produce more brass razor heads I'm shying away as the shipping alone for the discounted handle is nearly $100 AUD and the SS setup is way too light for my liking plus the SS look falls far from what I would class as "premium".
Crunching the numbers as to what to initially choose as they're all RAD killers...??? Greatly indebted to you for the opportunity to trial some exquisite hardware mate as I'm now in a solid position to make a sensible purchase on what works for me!

Without hijacking the SOTD thread: Thanks again @Nico for the loan of the razors. Its truly hard to separate each razor as they're all truly "premium" razors and worthy of the price tag.
As for the CG Lvl 2 - it shaves so smoothly with efficiency somewhere between the Smart Helix plates. I'm torn as to whether to jump on the SS version as what really made this mornings shave almost perfect was the added weight from the brass Victorian handle but with uncertainty over whether Brian will produce more brass razor heads I'm shying away as the shipping alone for the discounted handle is nearly $100 AUD and the SS setup is way too light for my liking plus the SS look falls far from what I would class as "premium".
Crunching the numbers as to what to initially choose as they're all RAD killers...??? Greatly indebted to you for the opportunity to trial some exquisite hardware mate as I'm now in a solid position to make a sensible purchase on what works for me!
Mate more than happy to help out. If you need another week to compare so be it. ;)

Mate more than happy to help out. If you need another week to compare so be it. ;)
I'll happily take you up on the offer as I was hoping to try the Wolfman again with a different blade to see whether the shave is as smooth/comfortable as 1st off. Thanks again mate!

Last edited:
Pre-shave: PAA Mentholated Prickly Pear ATG Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: Omega 10083
Soap/Cream: PAA Crown King Porthos
Razor: RazoRock Lupo
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (5)
Post-shave: Alum block, Witch hazel, Bulldog original aftershave balm, B&M Reserve Spice
Hair Tonic: Eau de Portugal
y4mGakPGmUuZj9kRxpxj7rbJxgasjxymdZcwjvO4AzIufZOS-3SP8SorJ-zUylaoh9H2chXtS4kYyDXKS-u-QwXlphGrid2UK85i7s6S2mafBLrzSOKLuSbYqvbTwWHS0seLTPgnrLyLDsSdb9PLBkK3ung0dp5yzrB3COuhRZJNrYeCpsQLBIYLEz2thdNAlpVeBEpVjEHxRhjiAmkczRpJg
Mate,do you think the pre shave adds to the overall quality of the shave

Thanks @Holiday im actually considering the Godzilla too, the beast mode setup gets free postage at $47.90 vs waiting for the same handle to arrive at $32 + $8.40 postage so for an extra $7.50 I get another razor in the quiver, pretty easy math really😂 just going to trawl the forum for a review. What have you heard of the Godzilla Razor?

What would you like to know?

Its a quarter pounder razor literally. (230gr with plate and top cap)
Heavy brass plated handle. Mine is the dark coloured one.
I have all the Yaqi heads for it. Beast mode set up is OK. I am a big fan of aggressive razors although I don't like this set-up." For me the heavy handle throws the balance of the razor out. The handle forces a steep angle on the head. For me it makes it difficult to get a good shave under the chin where I am inclined to use a more shallow angle. This has caused me a few weepers on the ATG pass.
Now switch out the handle for a standard type 3 - 3.5" length and weight, and it shaves decently. Much easier to control the pressure of the razor head especially ATG.

For me it shaves similar to an R41, a touch smoother with the normal handle setup. In the godzilla setup it feels slightly more aggressive than an R41 and defiantely more than Karve SB #F plate. Not as smooth as Razorock Wunderbar, efficiency is similar. ( if you want to experience blade feel this razor will give you a lesson) The quarter pounder handle plays a big part of the shave experience. I don't have an Ikon tech so I can't comment on that razor as a comparison. If your wondering about the yaqi slant head on the big handle feels like, the same applies as the godzilla setup. I have used the Godzilla setup approximately 6-7 times so limited use. It is definately an eye catching razor.
Would I shave with this regularly, No last thing I need is RSI :).

What would you like to know?

Its a quarter pounder razor literally. (230gr with plate and top cap)
Heavy brass plated handle. Mine is the dark coloured one.
I have all the Yaqi heads for it. Beast mode set up is OK. I am a big fan of aggressive razors although I don't like this set-up." For me the heavy handle throws the balance of the razor out. The handle forces a steep angle on the head. For me it makes it difficult to get a good shave under the chin where I am inclined to use a more shallow angle. This has caused me a few weepers on the ATG pass.
Now switch out the handle for a standard type 3 - 3.5" length and weight, and it shaves decently. Much easier to control the pressure of the razor head especially ATG.

For me it shaves similar to an R41, a touch smoother with the normal handle setup. In the godzilla setup it feels slightly more aggressive than an R41 and defiantely more than Karve SB #F plate. Not as smooth as Razorock Wunderbar, efficiency is similar. ( if you want to experience blade feel this razor will give you a lesson) The quarter pounder handle plays a big part of the shave experience. I don't have an Ikon tech so I can't comment on that razor as a comparison. If your wondering about the yaqi slant head on the big handle feels like, the same applies as the godzilla setup. I have used the Godzilla setup approximately 6-7 times so limited use. It is definately an eye catching razor.
Would I shave with this regularly, No last thing I need is RSI :).

Cheers for the info @rhodes96

Did you fill out your RAD death will list for your wife approval.
RAD may be the major contributing factor when SWMBO finds out how much $$$ spent :ROFLMAO:

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Epsilon LE 2015 Brown Horse Hair 30mm knot
Soap:- Squadron - The Warden
Razors:
- Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
- Razor Rock - Game Changer 0.84-P
- Wolfman WR2 1.05 OC Darwin Handle
Blade:- Nacet (5)
Aftershave:- Squadron - The Warden

7u4HxL3.jpg

Finally discovered the Marco Method works best for this soft dense brush.
Been rotating through 3 razors for past 3 weeks starting with a fresh Nacet in each.
Wolfman felt a bit aggressive for the first 2 shaves and then settled in after #3
Timeless just comfortable, smooth and efficient but not as close as GC and Wolfman
GC.84-P held it with the best. If price weighed heavily it would win hands down. GC had the most notable decrease in blade performance becoming a bit rough after 4 shaves
Sticking with the same brush and software for 3 days has been enjoyable.
If I had to choose would be Wolfman Mondays and Timeless daily.

RAD may be the major contributing factor when SWMBO finds out how much $$$ spent :ROFLMAO:

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Epsilon LE 2015 Brown Horse Hair 30mm knot
Soap:- Squadron - The Warden
Razors:
- Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
- Razor Rock - Game Changer 0.84-P
- Wolfman WR2 1.05 OC Darwin Handle
Blade:- Nacet (5)
Aftershave:- Squadron - The Warden

7u4HxL3.jpg

Finally discovered the Marco Method works best for this soft dense brush.
Been rotating through 3 razors for past 3 weeks starting with a fresh Nacet in each.
Wolfman felt a bit aggressive for the first 2 shaves and then settled in after #3
Timeless just comfortable, smooth and efficient but not as close as GC and Wolfman
GC.84-P held it with the best. If price weighed heavily it would win hands down. GC had the most notable decrease in blade performance becoming a bit rough after 4 shaves
Sticking with the same brush and software for 3 days has been enjoyable.
If I had to choose would be Wolfman Mondays and Timeless daily.

Nice Razors Holiday.

:):giggle::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: RAD got worse after Timeless and again after the Wolfman. RAD enablers more like it. Smart Helix Apollo Light ordered and Charcoal Goods on must have list now. :banghead:
I hear you and here's hoping the Taxman is kind as I bit the bullet and put in an order for the WR1 :X3: Hopefully there's enough change left to get another Rhodium brush or the Smart Helix Apollo with flip able plate...? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.