Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm eyeing off the Smart Helix Apollo........but will wait....for now.
The biggest selling point for me is the free world wide shipping and its availability, on top of looking the bit and shaving superbly! Reasonably priced as well and quite pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. (y) Whilst not a CG its so damn close... :unsure:

The biggest selling point for me is the free world wide shipping and its availability, on top of looking the bit and shaving superbly! Reasonably priced as well and quite pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. (y) Whilst not a CG its so damn close... :unsure:
I think I’ll just go the Light with aggressive plate. So how does it compare to the Wolfman?

I think I’ll just go the Light with aggressive plate. So how does it compare to the Wolfman?
From my experience the Helix would probably be in between the WR1 .61 & WR2 .95 for blade gap but more on par with the CG Lvl 2 brass + Victorian handle as the head is super light so to compensate they added weight to the middle of the handle, giving the perfect balance. Almost how the Timeless Bronze shaves great due to the added weight from the handle, except this one shaves close and smooth... The aggressive plate is the one to get for sure! (y)

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (7)
Blade: NOS Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (11)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch EDP

Does it get any better?

gQ3aXUtl.jpg

From my experience the Helix would probably be in between the WR1 .61 & WR2 .95 for blade gap but more on par with the CG Lvl 2 brass + Victorian handle as the head is super light so to compensate they added weight to the middle of the handle, giving the perfect balance. Almost how the Timeless Bronze shaves great due to the added weight from the handle, except this one shaves close and smooth... The aggressive plate is the one to get for sure! (y)
Thanks P&C enablers as I have placed an order for the Smart Helix Apollo as well... :banghead:

Not surprised. The Helix is a good razor.
It was with a heavy heart as I absolutely adore the CGs but with Brian moving and uncertainties around the world I had to jump on the Helix site and place an order for the heavier flip able plate. Just couldn't pay the US shipping so a no brainer!

Mate,do you think the pre shave adds to the overall quality of the shave
Hi @tulfan, my 2c - I find the pre shave soaps are good but not really necessary. I enjoy the PAA offerings as they're mentholated and occasionally use one to shave my head as below.

L8vXltGl.jpg

Soap: Washpool Farm - Bergamot, Cedarwood and Patchouli
Brush: Semogue 1800
Razor: Wunderbar
Blade: Kai (2)
Wasn't sure what I was letting myself in for with a Kai in the Wunderbar but it wasn't too bad. Unmistakably more blade feel and not as comfortable as I've been used to with the Wunderbar. Not a combo I'll be going back to as it has left my face feeling slightly raw.

Pre-shave: PAA Mentholated Prickly Pear ATG Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: Omega 10083
Soap/Cream: PAA Crown King Porthos
Razor: RazoRock Lupo
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Post-shave: Alum block, Witch hazel, Bulldog original aftershave balm, B&M Reserve Spice
Hair Tonic: Jeris
y4mGakPGmUuZj9kRxpxj7rbJxgasjxymdZcwjvO4AzIufZOS-3SP8SorJ-zUylaoh9H2chXtS4kYyDXKS-u-QwXlphGrid2UK85i7s6S2mafBLrzSOKLuSbYqvbTwWHS0seLTPgnrLyLDsSdb9PLBkK3ung0dp5yzrB3COuhRZJNrYeCpsQLBIYLEz2thdNAlpVeBEpVjEHxRhjiAmkczRpJg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Shavemac - Americana
Soap:- Simpsons - Lavender & Vetvier Luxury Shaving Cream
Razor:- Wals Solingen - Platypus Extra Hollow Ground

AUjsAcD.jpg

Really enjoying straight shave Saturday. Had the pleasure of using an expertly honed razor from @bald as this morning.
A super sharp blade and light touch makes it so much easier. So smooth the second pass was just to use up excess lather

Preshave: Shower then Somerset's preshave oil
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: Prorosa green tea and oat
Postshave: APR Restoration Serum

A 4-day growth prompted the need for a heavy hitter, so out came the recently acquired R41. Only 2 or 3 shaves in with this razor so still experimenting with blades. A brand new nacet blade made light work of my scruff for a 3 pass DFS bordering on BBS. I didn't dare to buff with this razor to chase BBS, given its reputation and my inexperience using it!
Very impressed with the lather and performance of the Prorosa soap too. Working my way through some samples from Maggards and this is a great performer for the price. Has a lovely fresh, clean scent too.

Date:- 11 July 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Bruce Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Taum Sauk (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6S-R4 / Gillette Nacet #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

Pre: Hot shower. Bloom water from soap tub.
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar SS slant + Titanium halo handle. Thanks for the loan @Razor Burn
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron – The Warden
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Pre: Hot shower. Bloom water from soap tub.
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar SS slant + Titanium halo handle. Thanks for the loan @Razor Burn
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron – The Warden
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Glad to see you enjoying the Wunderbar (y)

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage Simpson '46' Shaving Brush reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark
Blade: Russian Iridium - super (1)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars balm
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars EDP

ydeSuJEl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.