Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: Gillette Slim 66’
Blade: Persona Platinum
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: Proraso Green

Inspired by @TomG I had a shave with the old proraso this morning and was pleasantly surprised.

Set the slim to setting 6 and enjoyed four passes of that lovely classic barbershop scent, it has just enough menthol to let you know it’s there.

I have never enjoyed shaving with this soap/croap but this time built up a nice lather, with adequate protection, no nicks or burn. I guess the quality of my lathers have improved.

I have heard that Proraso Azur Lime Single Blade Cream is made for the single blade and offers amazing slickness and thinking of getting some, anyone have any experience with it?

49517958486_92cd1caa26_b.jpg

I have heard that Proraso Azur Lime Single Blade Cream is made for the single blade and offers amazing slickness and thinking of getting some, anyone have any experience with it?
I believe this is true, but could just be marketing wank talk...
I was ready to pull the trigger on those creams but luckily found out that i like soaps way more than creams, so that desire to get them waivered...

I believe this is true, but could just be marketing wank talk...
I was ready to pull the trigger on those creams but luckily found out that i like soaps way more than creams, so that desire to get them waivered...

I found this review on the maximum glide range and couldn't resist. I love B&M soap so if it is slicker than that (as the review states), i will be more than happy. Plus it will make for a convenient travel tube.

Never used a cream before, so not sure how to use it and hoping it will be ok to face lather with?

Date:- 11 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Massacre of the Innocents (milksteak base)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #12
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: Gillette Slim 66’
Blade: Persona Platinum
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: Proraso Green

Inspired by @TomG I had a shave with the old proraso this morning and was pleasantly surprised.

Set the slim to setting 6 and enjoyed four passes of that lovely classic barbershop scent, it has just enough menthol to let you know it’s there.

I have never enjoyed shaving with this soap/croap but this time built up a nice lather, with adequate protection, no nicks or burn. I guess the quality of my lathers have improved.

49517958486_92cd1caa26_b.jpg
Nice work, @StratMan. And you have provided me with a timely reminder that my Slim has not had a run for a while - thanks for returning the favour!

Pre: Hot Towel, Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol Pre & After shave cream
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Nice work, @StratMan. And you have provided me with a timely reminder that my Slim has not had a run for a while - thanks for returning the favour!

Happy to pay back the inspiration.. might also put u down for some unintentional enabling points..

been eyeing of that cream for a while and the excellent result today with the ol proraso green soap (never liked before) made me buy one first thing, it’s supposed to be the best proraso has

IMG-20200211-182749.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor/s: Parker Variant (2) // Merkur 37C // RR Game Changer .84P
Blade: BiC Chrome (3) - thanks @tullfan
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira Shavery Lathering Bowl
Soap: APR Suitably Attired Australian LE
Post: APR Restoration Peptide Concentrate Serum 15ml Tester A

My last 3 shaves with different razors but similarly satisfactory results trying out the BiC blades. First impressions were that they'd suck as out of the pack they resembled on of the brands that don't seem to work for me but a few strokes in and they seemed nice and smooth. Don't get me wrong these won't be replacing any of my favourites anytime soon but for a quick weeks worth of shaves they shave a treat! Still enjoying the Serum for my post shaves as its easy to apply and makes the skin feel nice all day... Happy shaves!

DWsd8qV.jpg

Trying to achieve that creamy yogurt lather I see from @alfredus & co in Lather Shots
Might need a quality Badger and some Milksteak to get there
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 620 Boar
Soap: Stirling - Glastonbury
Razor: Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade: Feather (5)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson and Culmak
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming / Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Handle
Blade: Polsilver "Brown" (3)
Post-shave: Myrsol Metisol splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti EDP

Hump day! Great shaves to start the morning make every day great.

4Zo5I8al.jpg

Thiers Issard silvertip
Charcoal Goods, LVL 3, OC + Timor
E. & J. Limes and Pomegranate

Finished of this E&J Cream today. The level 3 OC is quick to tell me if my technique is off. One small nick on the jawline proved an apt reminder. The rest of the shave went slow and steady and I was rewarded with a lovely 3 pass BBS​

DWsd8qV.jpg

Trying to achieve that creamy yogurt lather I see from @alfredus & co in Lather Shots
Might need a quality Badger and some Milksteak to get there
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 620 Boar
Soap: Stirling - Glastonbury
Razor: Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade: Feather (5)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'
You can definitely achieve it with this brush/soap combo. Once you soaked you brush, really squeeze it out dry and then start lathering on the puck. Add water very slowly (every 5-10sec - either a couple drops onto the puck or just dip your brush in water and shake excess out). Don't stop lathering on the puck, until you see the lather you want on the puck. Then go to your face and add a couple more times water.

nU2T4vQ.jpg

Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Paladin Sumo Lapis
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus

After some weeks using the WR2 it was time to go back to the BBS-1 and try to compare the two. This is going to be almost impossible - at the moment I would say the BBS-1 is still my favourite, but this might be due to me being so used to it. I guess this warrants a long term study :)

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.