Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a tad slack taking photos recently but the shaves have not been stopping!
Still working my way through the C&E puck and the donut is due any day now. I can see the wood coloured darkness just about in the centre. I’ve been enjoying it a lot, but I’m at that point where I’m wanting variety, but if my calcs are correct, it’s only another 10-15 shaves tops.

In other news, and again sorry for lacking a photo here, I acquired a brand new razor this week. Same same. But different, anyway. A Matt Black Rockwell 6S. Only used the 3 plate so far and it feels closer to a 4 to me. Perhaps the black coating has some input there to make it have more gap?

Will likely sell my other 6S once I’m sure the plates are mostly all useful.
Why didn't you just take a picture of your shitter, screen shot your bloody weather app, or some random dreary East German St, Mark seems to get away with it for weeks at a time... :ROFLMAO:
You can still smile at the camera you lazy litlle shitter.

giphy.gif

RdKpvhi.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Simpsons - The Duke - Pure Badgers are only scritchy when not splayed :)
Soap: Soap Commander - Vision
Razors: Timeless 0.68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade: Polsilver (3)
Post-shave: Soap Commander - Vision

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blades
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

Why didn't you just take a picture of your shitter, screen shot your bloody weather app, or some random dreary East German St, Mark seems to get away with it for weeks at a time... :ROFLMAO:

OUCH!!

[Harsh but true...]

Pre-shave: Warm Shower (longish)
Brush: @Tony Forsyth 2019 P&C Auction beauty
Soap/Cream: APR Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim (5)
Blade: Vintage "Aussie Spoiler" (6)
Post-shave: APR Lightning Ridge splash
Fragrance: APR Lightning Ridge EDP

Soooooooo nice and with photo of tools and software used -

YS7TswMl.jpg

Plus some random Berlin Wall shots for @tim33z (BTW, the Chernobyl series is said to be very fictional) -

IxMpUKim.jpg
iIwMPWqm.jpg

Perhaps, but I was 5 or 6 at the time so memory is foggy back then :)

This is a problem that a number of serious academic historians are concerned about. They write well researched articles and books that nobody reads and Hollywood comes along with a fictionalised story and that becomes everyone's understanding. So what you might say, but when that common understanding becomes the dominant cultural narrative and starts to impact what parliaments do and what laws are made then it becomes a real problem. I've read of this happening but cannot recall the precise details.

7OHxCSB.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: Boellis Panama 1924
Razor: UFO Tornado / Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (1)
Scent: Boellis Panama 1924

Lovely shave. When I want to spoil myself, Boellis Panama 1924 always delivers.

Perhaps, but I was 5 or 6 at the time so memory is foggy back then :)
The series is actually quite accurate. There is a little creative license taken but the key points are pretty close to what actually occurred. The main female character is however not real, she is a culmination of quite a number of people.

7OHxCSB.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: Boellis Panama 1924
Razor: UFO Tornado / Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (1)
Scent: Boellis Panama 1924

Lovely shave. When I want to spoil myself, Boellis Panama 1924 always delivers.
Beautiful soap box, stunning!

The series is actually quite accurate. There is a little creative license taken but the key points are pretty close to what actually occurred. The main female character is however not real, she is a culmination of quite a number of people.
I didn't know you lived in the Ukraine in 1986 ;)

Hmm lets set up an email chat with you me and the maker ok :)

I am sure we can get this thing worked out!

My advice is not to use the soap again though, there is very little point suffering irritation if there is an allergen (to you) in the soap. Very often it can be 1 or 2 people out of 1000 where an issue arises, with the other 980 people being ok and sometimes the numbers are much less.

Allergens are like that, even in wash off products like soap that are not on the skin for very long - sometimes only 40-50 seconds, or a minute or two are necessary for a reaction to be observed. There are essential oils like Artemisia, that aside from being highly toxic in any dose, cause all kinds of skin reactions even in minute traces in some people where in others (aside from the toxicity which everyone will experience) no allergenic reaction is observed on the skin at all. Many of the citrus oils are the same Lime Oil in particular causes all kinds of nasty reactions in people.

So people do not get the wrong idea, I am not saying that the soap has a problem, but that my friend here has experienced a reaction and in this case, he is the 1 or 2 out of 1000 (or whatever the number is).

Hei Dan, cheers!.
It is certainly a very specific thing, either on the soap on on my face. Joserra is a well curated soapomaker, with legal acknowledges as artisan, that most ones artisans up here skip.... No room to test weird bases on soaps etc with customers or random stuff.. he does very good and well. thumbs high for him!!
It seems that I was the unlucky one. i have chat already a bit with him (a top profesional, he offer me many solutions that I didn't want, because I want this soap, Blas de Lezo ) but also with some spanish mates, and seems hard to find what is-burning me...

I am happy to have a chat with you and him, but I already chat with him and her is super cooperative and helpful, certainly an artisan to keep on track (unless the reaction came from the base, at least, then not for me)

I wish everybody in the game of artisan word were as great as Joserra...

Last edited:
Hei Dan, cheers!.
It is certainly a very specific thing, either on the soap on on my face. Joserra is a well curated soapomaker, with legal acknowledges as artisan, that most ones artisans up here skip.... No room to test weird bases on soaps etc with customers or random stuff.. he does very good and well. thumbs high for him!!
It seems that I was the unlucky one. i have chat already a bit with him (a top profesional, he offer me many solutions that I didn't want, because I want this soap, Blas de Lezo ) but also with some spanish mates, and seems hard to find what is-burning me...

I am happy to have a chat with you and him, but I already chat with him and her is super cooperative and helpful, certainly an artisan to keep on track (unless the reaction came from the base, at least, then not for me)

I wish everybody in the game of artisan word were as great as Joserra...

Yeah, Joserra is a superb soap maker and very highly respected (I want to buy a lot of his stuff - so we do need to speak about that :D )- It is not his soap or method of production, or anything he has done with making the soap at all. It is just something allergenic that is specific to you. I have had a couple of occasions where I have experienced reactions - one of those is Castle Forbes Lime and the other one is a pre-blend from Stirling (Barbershop) but the thing is, the reaction from the Castle Forbes Lime cream was dramatic, whereas my personal reaction to the Stirling Barbershop was just a slight tingling in the skin. I had to let the Castle Forbes go which almost killed me as its such a nice cream, a real artisan classic and it cost me the earth. In both cases it was nothing to do with the soap maker whatsoever - Castle Forbes makes exceptionally high quality products and has done for a number of years.

Maybe if we can chat, he can tell me (with your translation) what is in the soap to fragrance it and I can search my allergens database, as it contains everything - then in the future you can avoid one of the elements that causes the reaction - I avoid strong Lime scented products due to the burning I get whereas most people can tolerate lots of lime (which generally does not cause reactions anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.