Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 13 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Gratiot League Square (milksteak base)
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-C' / Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

DF0805-B0-1-A93-4-C85-81-D4-12392-B361574.jpg
A day of indoor school aquatics carnival meant I came home drained, headachey and humidity hot. So a shower and me time was needed. Which meant it was a perfect time for a big formal shave.

Australians All, a very special APR & Squadron Soap limited release, is still my favourite summer scent of all time. It always makes me happy and the menthol boost from the AS has cured almost everything. To keep me focused I decided to go for the R41 with a new Russian red & white Gillette Stainless blade. If you’re new to the R41 and scared please know it really is a teddy bear if you treat it right but stick the beautiful head design on a hefty third party SS handle.

People

qvO6ui7.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle - Red
Soap: Stirling-Glastonbury
Razor: Timeless .68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade: GSB(1)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'
Should have @tim33z'd another sample puck in a couple more shaves

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: R41 head + Timeless Handle
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: PAA F-Bomb

Tried the R41 with the Timeless handle which increased the weight to 120g, an added 23g from yesterday’s combo. The shave was not as smooth but I am not sure if this is due to the weight of the effects of shaving with the Timeless 95 for 3 days then the R41 for two.

At this point I am leaning towards the weight increasing the efficiency of the R41 and I say this because when I went apply splash it stung like hell, and I havnt felt that in a long while.

Tomorrow I will have another shave with the R41 but back to the yaqi handle to bring the weight back down to 97g and if the shave feels smoother and the sting less than today then without doubt I can say the weight of the razor adds to the efficiency, and this may lead me to get the 1.25 head gap with a hollowed handle.

49531139868_9fef63e1e2_b.jpg

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: R41 head + Timeless Handle
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: PAA F-Bomb

Tried the R41 with the Timeless handle which increased the weight to 120g, an added 23g from yesterday’s combo. The shave was not as smooth but I am not sure if this is due to the weight of the effects of shaving with the Timeless 95 for 3 days then the R41 for two.

At this point I am leaning towards the weight increasing the efficiency of the R41 and I say this because when I went apply splash it stung like hell, and I havnt felt that in a long while.

Tomorrow I will have another shave with the R41 but back to the yaqi handle to bring the weight back down to 97g and if the shave feels smoother and the sting less than today then without doubt I can say the weight of the razor adds to the efficiency, and this may lead me to get the 1.25 head gap with a hollowed handle.

49531139868_9fef63e1e2_b.jpg
Don't got with the hallow handle...you will regret it. It is not only about the total weight, but about the balance...

Don't got with the hallow handle...you will regret it. It is not only about the total weight, but about the balance...

Thanks for your feedback on this @alfredus I cant help but listen to comments coming from someone who has used multiple wolfman razors.

I did consider this but I started thinking hollow because i read a review from someone yday that not only got the WRH2 handle hollowed but also at 80mm and this brought the total weight to 88g and he loved it..

i guess comparing the shave with weight of a R41 to a WRH2 (1.25) is still like oranges and apples

Thanks for your feedback on this @alfredus I cant help but listen to comments coming from someone who has used multiple wolfman razors.

I did consider this but I started thinking hollow because i read a review from someone yday that not only got the WRH2 handle hollowed but also at 80mm and this brought the total weight to 88g and he loved it..

i guess comparing the shave with weight of a R41 to a WRH2 (1.25) is still like oranges and apples
Absolutely...you can't get to the perfect Wolfman for yourself by comparing some Frankerazors...

The handle length I get...if you have small hands and/or like those tiny vintage handles, it might be right (although I highly doubt it)...but the hollow handle is definitely a mistake.

Before you trust every review you read: when I started out, there was this whole craze about using the most aggressive razor with the most aggressive blade - people were paying a premium for a 2011 R41 because it is more aggressive than the 2013 (current) version, bla bla bla

Then you have people chiming in, pretending to be experts, when they started wetshaving 3 months ago and XYZ is their first decent razor (same with brushes, soaps, blades, etc, etc, etc)

It is really hard to see the forest with all the trees obstructing your view ;)

Talk to people you know, whose reviews have worked for you in the past and who have similar tastes than you...

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Wilkinson Sword Premium Brush
Soap/Cream: Wilkinson Sword Soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Premium Classic
Blade: Derby Usta (New blade -WTG/XTG/ATG 3 Pass BBS)
Post-shave: T.N. Dickinson's Witch hazel / Proraso Wood Spice Aftershave Balm

The Usta shaves well but must be lacking in longevity. Tossed the first blade midway through the second shave. Will put a review up after a few more shaves

Date:- 14 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Sellout (milksteak base)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #13
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo, Less Aggressive Plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

The Smart Helix continues to impress. Very easy razor to use. Smoothness and efficiency is top notch.
Have a good weekend folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.