Soap: MdC Rose

Gotta love the Rocca!!

50773590533_69e3e99f98_b.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Barrbarr
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

s16.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Mühle R95 birch-bark Rocca
Blade: Gillette 7O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow (3)
Post-shave: Shower, TND Witch Hazel, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF50 sunblock, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT

Can't go for long without my lavender hit. MWJL and Castle Forbes are the champions in my den. Three days is doing well with any blade for me, but three is where it stops this time. Think I'll try something different I'm the Rocca tomorrow.

6653-D8-C2-0665-4901-B02-A-35-CCEC4506-C1.jpg

Main razor/blade: Slim adjustable (L3) on setting 5 with a brand new Nacet
Touch up razor/blade: Yaqi Slant with brand new Wizamet SI
Brush: WCS high density psychedelic badger
Soap: Dr Jon’s Anne Bonny

Don’t worry, this wasn’t really a two razor shave. I was 98% happy with the results after 3 passes with the Slim, but noticed a tiny patch of stubborn growth right in under the chin.

Knowing the ‘take no prisoners’ severity of the Yaqi Slant, I decided to experiment. With a brand new Wizamet, and a bit of Gillette pure rubbed straight onto the problem area, I took the absolute lightest possible touch to finish up. The massive audible feedback from the Yaqi is a great help knowing when the job is done and preventing me from over shaving.

So in one respect, if you need to pull out a second razor to get the job done, the first hasn’t done it’s job properly. On the other hand, the Yaqi slant is really fun to use, but hard to complete a full shave with due to the high aggression. So I’m kinda happy with this, and will keep the Yaqi on standby for a final tidy up pass whenever needed from now on.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Two Kings shaving soap
Razor: Muhle ROCCA Razor – R95 Stainless Steel Safety Razor – Birch Bark
Blade: Polsilver "Brown" blade (6)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Two Kings splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti

UUTtpc9l.jpg

sotd.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Rawr
Razor: Mühle R95 birch-bark Rocca
Blade: Voskhod
Post-shave: Shower, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF50 sunblock

Voskhod blades have something of a following, so I picked up a couple of tucks with my last vshod order a couple of months ago. I've been enjoying the 7OC Yellows so much, it's taken me this long to do anything about it. The shave was very smooth, but it took me 4 passes to get to a near-BBS, but I'll give it another try tomorrow. I think this blade would probably be a very good candidate for a shavette. Some will be pleased to know there are no wax dots ;) but for some unfathomable reason the blades are double-wrapped.

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: Yaqi - Mysterious Space 26mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Autumn Glory
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Personna- Viking Sword (1)
Post-shave: / Nivea Men - Post Shave Balm

2 pass WTG, XTG + touch ups = DFS+. As predicted a really nice first shave on the Viking Sword. If I can get 3 good shaves like this out of the blade I will add it to the good blades list for the Rocca.

The soap, Stirling - Autumn Glory. Scent strength light to medium off the puck. Scent notes, damp earth, cedar, oak musk, sandlewood, black pepper, apple. The scent notes sound great for a blend and yes I can smell the apple citrus notes, with the black pepper for some spice, cedar, sandlewood, musk for some woody earthiness.

My big gripe is I can also smell the lanolin. Lathering up I can still smell the lanolin as the scent rounds out after the woody and earth notes. I don't expect to smell the lanolin like this off a new soap that was unused. Sure I can accept that smell off an old soap that has dried out and lost some of its scent potency, this was a brand new sample still in its original plastic shrink wrap. Might give this one a few days to air out to see if this improves the scent, as without the lanolin smell, I might actually enjoy the scent.

Might give this one a few days to air out to see if this improves the scent, as without the lanolin smell, I might actually enjoy the scent.
Good luck, my sample smelt predominantly of melted plastic. I ended up smearing it around some of my fruit trees in an attempt to deter possums. It was quite good at that for a while, I guess until the rain washed it off. I've come to the conclusion that Stirling scents are a bit of a hit and miss affair.

IMG-20201230-142621.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving BetaHive Cu 28mm Fan SHD badger
Razor: Rocca V4 R95 Birch Bark
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // RR New York A/S splash
WTG, XTG, ATG = BBS

Second shave with this blade in a Rocca and lots to like so far - very even and smooth shave but will it last beyond 5 decent shaves...?
I gave the brush a quick polish + wax to keep it nice and shiny and the knot is starting to take shape but still a bit of funk despite a clean.
Great performance from the soap with not much left as I work my way through it and find it pairs nicely with this splash.
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

dron62z.jpg

Pre: water
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillette 7OC yellow
Soap: SFWS/ Catie's Bubbles - Summer Solstice
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Plisson

This particular soap looks as though it had been on the shelf for a while. I believe it was developed for the South Florida Wet Shaving meet up in 2019, which would make the soap around 2 years old. I picked it up on clearance at WCS. You can see that the puck has shrunk a little off the sides of the tub as it dried over time.

The scent notes are bergamot, watermelon, basil, geranium, sandalwood, aldehydes, cashmeran, and hedione. All I get is a lime-y citrus and coconut (from the oil and not the actual scent accord). Makes it smell kind of like a Pine Lime Splice. It's pleasant and enjoyable, but nothing like what I thought it was going to smell like from the description. This is definitely going into my summer soaps collection.

First time using Catie's Bubbles vegan base. It's a soft soap that loads easily and blooms a nice lather with little water. But, the lather feels a little stiffer than I would like. More like whipped cream than a soft yogurty lather like other soaps. Adding more water just makes it aerate further with bigger bubbles. Will require a learning curve to dial in. Post shave is good, as expected from all the reviews I've read about soap. As a vegan soap, I'd rank it behind PAA CK-6 and Southern Witchcraft.

Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Nothing much on TV tonight. Jesse Stone Novel.
bitterest-pill-pb_06030719.jpg

Last edited:
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #9

Nothing much on TV tonight. Jesse Stone Novel.
bitterest-pill-pb_06030719.jpg
Love me some Stone, Mr Selleck doesn’t do a bad job of re-creating the character from the books. The Longmire books as an aside are not bad either. Also a good TV representation. Enjoy the read and the accompanying whiskey.

Love me some Stone, Mr Selleck doesn’t do a bad job of re-creating the character from the books. The Longmire books as an aside are not bad either. Also a good TV representation. Enjoy the read and the accompanying whiskey.
I've got ALL the DVD series of Jesse Stone starring by Tom Selleck and also I've got ALL the complete novel series of Jesse Stone as well.

Hey there is a new book, Fool’s Paradise. I’ll put a pin in that for a New Year’s Day read.
Yes, the hardcover book will be released in January, not sure what date.

I’m in no hurry to wait for the small A5 size paperback from US to be released sometime in May or June.

I’ve got ALL the Spenser novel series, next book to read later called Angle Eyes.

I’ve also got ALL the Harry Bosch novel series, got two book waiting to read soon, called the Dark Sacred Night and The Night Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.