Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca 'Birch Bark'
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger EDP

Still the classiest shave I've seen this year :)

YDYJuj8l.jpg

Bruce,do you start at higher settings and decrease efficiency or vice versa
With the Ambassador, neither, I started in the middle and went up then down. No formula, just try til found desired efficiency.:)
On the days I want to take it easy on my skin I go setting 2, otherwise I go 3 or 4. Haven't tried 5 or 6 yet. Today I started at 2 and finished on 3. That's the beauty of an adjustable.

bIkR08w.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
Razor: Merkur Mergress (5; 2.5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (4)
Scent: Amouage Epic Man EdP

A week of scorching weather here in Perth; time for a nice cooling menthol shave, and what better than Stirling Lemon Chill Glacial.
The ring of death is growing in the tin, but still plenty enough for another few shaves. The ever reliable Savile Row brush quickly whipped up a bowl full of lather, and I began to attack an 8 day beard. I've been pushing a few deadlines of late, and hence shaving has been on the backburner. I dialed the Mergress up to '5'; the highest setting I have used to date, and away I went with the WTG pass. The vintage Spoiler blade effortlessly scythed down my beard; the only difference was having to pause maybe twice as often to rinse clean the razor head. Without doubt there was more blade feel on the '5' setting, but I never had the sense that it would "bite". I dialed it back down to my normal '2.5' for the XTG and ATG passes. Cold water rinse, followed by witch hazel and Myrsol Plastic Shave, and I was feeling really refreshed. Plastic Shave has a unique post-shave feel, due to the lactic acid content. Fantastic Stuff.

And speaking of fantastic stuff, the shave was crowned with a general dousing of Amouage Epic Man EdP. Epic indeed!

bIkR08w.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
Razor: Merkur Mergress (5; 2.5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (4)
Scent: Amouage Epic Man EdP

A week of scorching weather here in Perth; time for a nice cooling menthol shave, and what better than Stirling Lemon Chill Glacial.
The ring of death is growing in the tin, but still plenty enough for another few shaves. The ever reliable Savile Row brush quickly whipped up a bowl full of lather, and I began to attack an 8 day beard. I've been pushing a few deadlines of late, and hence shaving has been on the backburner. I dialed the Mergress up to '5'; the highest setting I have used to date, and away I went with the WTG pass. The vintage Spoiler blade effortlessly scythed down my beard; the only difference was having to pause maybe twice as often to rinse clean the razor head. Without doubt there was more blade feel on the '5' setting, but I never had the sense that it would "bite". I dialed it back down to my normal '2.5' for the XTG and ATG passes. Cold water rinse, followed by witch hazel and Myrsol Plastic Shave, and I was feeling really refreshed. Plastic Shave has a unique post-shave feel, due to the lactic acid content. Fantastic Stuff.

And speaking of fantastic stuff, the shave was crowned with a general dousing of Amouage Epic Man EdP. Epic indeed!

giphy.gif

Glad that the shipment arrived!

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 Birch Bark Razor
Blade: Wizamet (1)
After all the hype I was a bit disappointed by this blade/razor combination
Not DFS under the jawline and the blade felt like it had a burr after 2nd pass
If your blade felt like it had a burr, then maybe it's just a dud blade and nothing to do with the combo. Incidentally, I've found that combo to be really smooth, but if you like your straights, maybe you'd appreciate a Gillette 7OC Yellow better, as it's still smooth, but gives you a little more blade feel. Under the jaw is always a tricky one for me, no magic pen required, but I sometimes think my Makita electric planer might be a better tool for the job.

Pre-shave:- Full Body Cold Shower :love:
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- The Club (A&E) ~ Charlatans Traipse
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Mission / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Last edited:
Whatever happened to Creed YMMV?
My mileage says it was a very good shave. I’ve also had good shaves with the Bolzano combined with vintage Gillette razors. You’ve just got to find the right blade/razor combination.:)
I HATE :rage: Bolzano blades they NEVER work with all my razors in my den, the Bolzano is a bloody bloodbath weeper nightmare.

If your blade felt like it had a burr, then maybe it's just a dud blade and nothing to do with the combo. Incidentally, I've found that combo to be really smooth, but if you like your straights, maybe you'd appreciate a Gillette 7OC Yellow better, as it's still smooth, but gives you a little more blade feel. Under the jaw is always a tricky one for me, no magic pen required, but I sometimes think my Makita electric planer might be a better tool for the job.
Not sure it is a burr. May be a slight amount of aggro/burn on a sensitive spot next to Adams apple

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: New Forest 2213 Finest Silvertip
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter - Northern Elixir
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 Birch Bark Razor
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Post-shave: Noble Otter - Northern Elixir

Sg9BWiS.jpg

Slight improvement over yesterday's shave but still no cigar
Northern Elixir has a nice refreshing menthol hit to it

Brush: @Tony Forsyth Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)

No bur, no spur, no cur, no slur - this is a great shave!

YDYJuj8l.jpg

Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)

No bur, no spur, no cur, no slur - this is a great shave!

YDYJuj8l.jpg
........and no poetic justice?

Status
Not open for further replies.