Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-20210101-124142.jpg

Brush: Graydog Arizona Mesquite 28mm Maggard Fan SHD
Razor: Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Antique Brass + Stinger V1 handle (P&C 2019-20 Charity Auction)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (3)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml
WTG, XTG, ATG = BBS

3 days growth wasn't an obstacle for this setup as the razor+blade easily mowed down the stubble. Not the smoothest shave with decent feedback but efficient enough to leave my face feeling smooth. Always a pleasure using this brush as the SHD fan knot feels lovely and managed to put a good dent in the soap. Finished off with the lotion and Hyaluronic Acid leaving my face and dome rrefreshed!
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Shave of the last few days...

sotdw.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

I've been a bit slack about posting my SOTDs over the last few days, so here we are. I've been enjoying a spell with all my favorites. Bergamot Lavender is still my Desert Island Soap - this tub will soon be empty, but I have another 3 awaiting their turn. That's the sort of person I am: I don't have a huge range of soaps (and don't want one), but when I find a product I really like, I don't hold back. The Vector scratches my itch better than any other razor (yes, including the Rocca), and it doesn't seem to matter what blade I use with it, they're all good in different ways. And that monster of a brush... :love:

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Firefighter
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Mission / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Iy7p4wR.jpg

Pre: Water
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Voskhod
Soap: Wholly Kaw - King of Oud - Vegan
Brush: Oumo 26mm SHD Hook Fan Badger

This is my first SHD badger with gel tips. My first 'top tier' badger. Wow! No scritch, just the firm pushing of bristles on the face, gently making lather and exfoliating at the same time. Just felt really soft and luxurious, like you're massaging your face on the wool of a new born alpaca while thousands of gentle fingers of hair faintly probe every crevice of your face while lovingly caressing you with slick creamy lather. Well, okay, maybe it wasn't that good, but wow, it's my best badger experience yet. Now I know what everyone is talking about when it comes to gel tips. And super high density is legit different to regular density badger.

The soap I bought on special from WCS. My first WK, vegan or otherwise. King of Oud is basically what I thought Noble Otter Two Kings was going to be. But unlike Two Kings, which smells like grandma's jewellery box, KOD is more like Fidel Castro's humidor inside a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. Masculine, exotic, luxurious. Rich woody oil with only hints of floral and tobacco. It's definitely a warm scent, better suited to colder days. Vegan base is a solid performer, but thirsty, will need to shave with it more to dial in the hydration right. But doesn't suffer from stickiness like some other vegan formulations. Amazingly good smelling soap.

I was enjoying the lathering portion so much, I almost forgot to shave. Quick 2 pass shave rewarded me with a mistake under the chin XTG and a weeper as my prize. I'm getting tired of the Voskhod and may punt it soon. Apart from that, good shave.

IMG-20210103-194253.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24mm Silvertip
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (5)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: RR New York A/S splash // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS+

A surprisingly good pre-work shave with this combination as the blade felt smooth but still shaved close with decent blade feel. I've dialed in the brush as the knot isn't that dense but if I leave it wetter than usual it retains moisture helping to create nice lather for multiple passes.
Finished off with some refreshing splash + hyaluronic acid.
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: SV 70th Anniversary soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca 'Birch Bark'
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (4)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Acqua di Sydney splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio EDC

Lovely morning in the National Capital!

ZNNE4Y1l.jpg

Last edited:
s3.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

This soap now well into its donut of death. :cry: At least I'll be left with a nice tub...

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Wolf Whiskers - 30mm Blackwolf
Soap/Cream: Moon Soaps - Sorrento
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Personna - Viking Sword (2)
Post-shave: Lucky Tiger - Face tonic / Moon Soaps - Sorrento PS Balm

2 Pass WTG = DFS +. First shave for the new year and glad to be out of Hospital. No issues with this blade so far. Great post shave combo if you have dry skin. For me the balm alone would have been sufficient.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Soap: Noble Otter Two Kings (sample)
Razor: Merkur Mergress
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (7)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Noble Otter Two Kings Aftershave Splash (sample)

No photo - was pressed for time. Many thanks to the venerable @Mark1966 for his Noble Otter samples.
The soap performed very well. The scent, based on rose and oud, was very nice in the aftershave splash, but came across as a little confused as a soap sent.
Three passes for a very close and comfortable shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.