Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travel Kit
Melbourne for the past week settling the daughter into Uni again! She only lasted 6 weeks last year before being shipped home due to Covid

Brush:- Simpson Wee Scot
Soap:- Wild West Shaving Co. - Black Gold
Razor:- Phoenix - Prismatic 3 Piece- Scalloped Cap
Blade:- Wizamet
Aftershave:- Wild West Shaving Co. - Black Gold

I realise there is no need to travel light nowadays but after this week, will be packing this kit from now on. It was such a joy to be able to fit it all easily in the dopp bag without any problems

The Wee Scot continues to amaze how much lather it holds for such a wee brush.

The Phoenix Prismatic is one of the most underrated razors in the den. This thing performed way beyond expectations. A gift from the lurker it was used once and shelved. Maybe it was the blade that made this thing zing, could literally hear the stubble being mowed, The super thin scalloped head provided a plain old no fuss DFS shave requiring minimal to no buffing and allowing long full strokes.

Pao2aij.jpg

i03a4Rh.jpg

• Razor: Brass Karve SB-E
  • Blade: Astra SP
  • Brush: Yaqi 24mm High Mountain Badger
  • Soap: Grooming Department - Lavender
This is my first lavender based soap so there's nothing I can compare it too. It's mainly high altitude French lavender which is 'better' than regular lavender - more of the natural lavender esters than what you'd normally find (I guess?). The main reason I wanted this was because of that guy on the wetshaving sub on reddit did his lavender shootout and didn't add this one to it. Why? Who knows? I wanted a GD Kairos based soap and this seems like a good candidate. I was also looking for something with a more simpler scent profile, and this is basically 97% lavender essential oil. Smells like lavender, but not exactly the dry lavender you find in dry flower bags. It smells almost 'juicier' with an almost acidic, lemon grapefruity like feel, almost gourmand, but not quite. Not as 'floral' as say something like Oleo Boyd. Kairos base loads on the brush sticky and takes a little effort to get going. Bit thirsty on the soap, but can thin out a little if you add too much. Not as slick as other elite level soaps, but excellent cushion. It has good, but not great post shave (certainly not as good as the Mammoth Tusk I used yesterday).

I did discover something I don't like about the unplated brass. The smell of copper is starting to come through the wet metal, almost smells like blood. Made me think I cut myself and had me look under my chin and jaw for a cut that wasn't there. I'm sure once the surface oxidises a little, the smell will go away in time.

IMG-20210302-214538.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24/57mm AP Shave Co. Faux Horse
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Squadron Soaps Dispatch Rider
Post: Brut A/S Splash // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // The Stray Whisker After Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

Swapped out the FS G4 knot for the Faux Horse as I found it too dense in this handle. The Faux Horse feels super soft but with enough backbone that I managed to whip up some creamy lather with very little effort. Call me old fashioned as I love me some Brut but sadly this Fougere is too earthy but performance wise Squadrons base hits the spot!

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B & M Petrichor shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
Post-shave: B & M Petrichor shaving soap splash
Fragrance: N/A

New blade, great new software, great shave.

7cTanvPl.jpg

The Wee Scot continues to amaze how much lather it holds for such a wee brush.

When not in a garish colour, and preferable in butterscotch, the Wee Scot is an AMAZING brush.

Hope your daughter does well in MEL!

...I was also looking for something with a more simpler scent profile, and this is basically 97% lavender essential oil. Smells like lavender, but not exactly the dry lavender you find in dry flower bags. It smells almost 'juicier' with an almost acidic, lemon grapefruity like feel, almost gourmand, but not quite...
Seems to me you might be describing that resinous, almost spicy note that real lavenders have. Good news (for me) that it's not a powdery lavender scent. Goody. Looks like this is definitely something for me to order as soon as this sabbatical year is over. By then, i should have got my lavender collection a bit more under control.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B & M Petrichor shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
Post-shave: B & M Petrichor shaving soap splash
Fragrance: N/A

New blade, great new software, great shave.

7cTanvPl.jpg

When not in a garish colour, and preferable in butterscotch, the Wee Scot is an AMAZING brush.

Hope your daughter does well in MEL!
do you have a butterscotch one that you would like to move on??? Nothing wrong with garish!

do you have a butterscotch one that you would like to move on??? Nothing wrong with garish!

I did, http://paste-and-cut.com.au/communi...utterscotch-brushes-simpson-wee-scot-etc.807/, and I did move it on!

It was a NOS/Mint Wee Scot (almost) 'Nano' but could not bring myself to use it and it was on-sold to a REAL brush collector. Of course I had to get a replacement - https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/2016-sabbatical-thread.2149/page-3#post-57895

Stylish, not garish ... :)

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Monarch
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- TF Custom Mallee Burl & Resin Hybrid
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil - Mandate of Heaven
Razor:- Above The Tie - S1 Slant SB -Calypso Handle
Blade:- Wizamet (6)

Wp35RwV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.