Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
As I mentioned last year, there is no set format, although, in case this helps, personally I include:

Pre-shave: if applicable
Brush:
Soap/Cream:
Razor:
(setting in parenthesis if adjustable)
Blade: (shave in brackets)
Post-shave:
Fragrance:
(EDT, EDC or EDP) if applicable

Photos, of any quality, are encouraged but not essential. We don't host images directly on the forum. You will need to host on sites like Flickr or Imgur and use them to generate a BBCode link, see instructions for Flickr and Imgur respectively. Alternatively you can use services like TinyPic, use 'IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards' or Postimage, use 'Hotlink for forums' to generate links.

In all cases it is helpful to resize images with the last two sites recommending 640 x 480 for forums - max 800 x 600 to help our mobile users

Thoughts and reflections on the shave are most welcome too, as are general comments du jour.

Happy shaving guys

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca 'Birch Bark'
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (1)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger EDP

Oh yeah - Happy New Year all

YDYJuj8l.jpg

Last edited:
SOTD 1-1-2021
QFw5q5jl.jpg

Soap: Pb Back Beet
Brush: Platypus
Razor: Bengall
AS: Barrister's Reserve Spice
Not the best intro shave for 2021 but have had worse. There was blood (found a nick from a previous DE shave) and the Platypus is shedding.:(
Happy New Year guys. Look forward to another shave year with you all.

MdC Fougere
Blackland Sabre, Level 2
Simpsons, Magenta Wee Scot, Super Badger

Seeming as I am only using MdC until it runs out I will not be posting shots of the soap in all my S.O.T.D. pics. I will provide updates from time to time as to how I am progressing though. Day 1 was a lovely shave to ring in the new year. The scent is really neutral, anyone would like it and I think that it will be a good companion for 2021.​

MdC Fougere
Blackland Sabre, Level 2

Seeming as I am only using MdC until it runs out I will not be posting shots of the soap in all my S.O.T.D. pics. I will provide updates from time to time as to how I am progressing though. Day 1 was a lovely shave to ring in the new year. The scent is really neutral, anyone would like it and I think that it will be a good companion for 2021.​
Loving the pink Wee brush. Next post has to be an MDC

F5CXSlV.jpg

Pre: water
Soap: Noble Otter - Monarch
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Oumo 28mm TH

Nice 3 pass BBS to start the new year.

In short, Voskhod = Astra SP in shave quality. Gillette yellows and GSB shaves better.

The Oumo TH synthetic (gen 4) is a large step up from gen 2 knots like Plisson or Tuxedo. Actually, it's like a hybrid of the two with improvements. Plisson hair strands (but thicker), Tuxedo tips, but definitely with increased density (more hairs in the knot). Good backbone but still soft like a Timberwolf. Not like a badger, but I don't think synthetic brushes should try to be a synthetic clone of badger hair brushes (like how diet coke was left as its own flavour), they should stand on their own as distinct brushes, like horse or boar. Anyway, lathers well as any previous synthetic, but you get that nice suction sensation when splaying the bristles face lathering (just like a badger). It's definitely my best synth brush now.

MdC Fougere
Blackland Sabre, Level 2

That Wee Scot is not magenta. It is PINK. Nothing to be ashamed of, a mark of consummate taste. :D

The Oumo TH synthetic (gen 4) is a large step up from gen 2 knots like Plisson or Tuxedo. Actually, it's like a hybrid of the two with improvements. Plisson hair strands (but thicker), Tuxedo tips, but definitely with increased density (more hairs in the knot). Good backbone but still soft like a Timberwolf. Not like a badger, but I don't think synthetic brushes should try to be a synthetic clone of badger hair brushes (like how diet coke was left as its own flavour), they should stand on their own as distinct brushes, like horse or boar. Anyway, lathers well as any previous synthetic, but you get that nice suction sensation when splaying the bristles face lathering (just like a badger). It's definitely my best synth brush now.

Thanks for the detail on the G4. I've missed the boat for this year, but my next order in Jan '22 will be an Alpha Albert. If it turns out that I love that knot, I might attempt a DIY re-knot of one of my other brushes. Nice to have something to look forward to... :)

F5CXSlV.jpg

Pre: water
Soap: Noble Otter - Monarch
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Oumo 28mm TH

Nice 3 pass BBS to start the new year.

In short, Voskhod = Astra SP in shave quality. Gillette yellows and GSB shaves better.

Excellent summary of the G4 equivalent knot. I have a few other synth knots to arrive yet but if the G4 is as good as I hope I'll be sure to add a few 26-28mm knots. Only let down is shipping from China but then again my Canadian order is taking ages so can't really complain :(

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Firefighter
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Happy New Year Tipple:- Aberlour 12yrs old Double Cask

Spenser Novel
angel-eyes-pb_08270359.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1470 Boar Brush
Soap/Cream: Razorock - Son of Zeus
Razor:
Mühle Rocca R95 Birch Bark Razor
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Post-shave: Razorock - Son of Zeus

kqOhU09.jpg

After all the hype I was a bit disappointed by this blade/razor combination
Not DFS under the jawline and the blade felt like it had a burr after 2nd pass

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1470 Boar Brush
Soap/Cream: Razorock - Son of Zeus
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 Birch Bark Razor
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Post-shave: Razorock - Son of Zeus

kqOhU09.jpg

After all the hype I was a bit disappointed by this blade/razor combination
Not DFS under the jawline and the blade felt like it had a burr after 2nd pass
You really need to learn to shave like holding MAGIC PEN under the bloody jawline

Status
Not open for further replies.