Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Shower
Razor: DE89 + Yaqi brass handle
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaki 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: B&M Vespers

Took out the DE89 for a spin and was further surprised. DFS+ and so smooth, if it wasn’t for one small patch I didn’t get properly it would have been BBS. So glad I didn’t get rid of this razor !!

51004345647_6c5af5a0a0_b.jpg

nice to see a slant on SOTD! I picked up a German 37 for about 30 bucks plus postage of ebay, will give it a run on the weekend.
Yeah I rarely use my slants these days but still have a few that I need to bring out for future shaves. :happy:
Very surprised how smooth the 34/37C shaves when paired with the Gillette Yellows so well worth a look at!

51003715218_77704535ea_c.jpg

Brush: Maggard 24mm SHD
Razor: ATT Windsor Pro
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Lather: Barrister and Mann - Lyssa - Soap

First shave with new razor

I am exactly two weeks shy of having shaved with DE razors for two years now. Like so many beginners I started out with Merkur 34c. Last year I bought the very popular Karve CB (brass). I love that razor, and I have a strong feeling it will always be my favourite. But earlier this year I came to the realisation that I need a stainless steel razor in my life. I already had a few options in mind, and as I’m looking through daily SOTD reports, a few more popped up. Here’s the beauty; they were ALL reviewed by @Errol here on this forum! What a valuable tool... anyone looking for a new razor, I urge you to check out his reviews in the Safery Razors section. @nav1 also made an amazing review of this particular razor with great pictures that helped me make up my mind. Thanks for doing those reviews guys.

The shave itself was really great. Very close and smooth, and just the right amount of blade feel for my liking. I really appreciated the slightly less bulky head compared to the Karve, and the longer handle and heavier weight compared to the Merkur. Very happy!

Have great Friday everybody!

Yeah I'm keen to try a Snow Leopard, Timber Wolf and my AP Shave Co. Silk Smoke once I find the right handle.
Amazing how far synthetic knots have come in such a short period of time and find myself grabbing one each shave as they're such lather machines. :)
I read somewhere that the Timber Wolf is the same as the Tuxedo with the colours reversed. I don't know if that's true or not. If you like a brush that splays nicely, I've read that the Motherlode is nice, but quite soft.

Wondering if anyone here has tried the Alpha Albert G4
il_1588xN.2703441806_7ks0.jpg

...and if that's subject to the same problems as the FS. :unsure: I really love that handle. So much fun to be had with synthetics...

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: Yaqi - Moka Express 26mm 2 band best
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - L' Orange Verte
Razor: Karve CB - SB (F)
Blade: Personna - Platinum
Post-shave: A&E - L' Orange Verte AS splash / Lucky Tiger - Face moisturiser
Fragrance: Hermes - Eau d'Orange Verte EDC

2 pass WTG = DFS+ daily shave. As I suspected the performance of this blade meet my expectations from previous use. Smooth and reasonably sharp. This blade was sharper and smoother than the Santinex blade, which is supposed to be a rebrand of the Personna Platinum. My face says otherwise. Further investigation into this matter is ongoing. Next shave I will use a Personna Platiunum Israeli red, which technically should be the same blade as the generic Personna Platinum.

The soap, Ariana & Evans - L' Orange Verte. Scent strength medium for soap and splash. Scent notes, Click here . This is one of my favourite Chypre scents as in my eyes, combines the perfect scent notes to create that warm resinous spicy, citrus accord without being dark or over bright which some Chypre scents tend to be. I also like the fact that this beautiful warm scent is active during the shave at a medium intensity, then once the shave has finished, the scent just floates away gracefully with the a light dry down of the all the scents pretty much indistinguishable working together creating warmth and serenity.

The soap scent is apparently based off Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes. Well look what I found in one of my dopp bags.:) The cologne is brighter, greener, more peppery, which really adds a kick to the staying power of the scent. I will admit I am biased and love the scent. Predominatley masculine sofisticated fresh summer scent that should drive all the woman on the French Riviera to say Ohh la la. :LOL:
Two thumbs up. (y)(y).

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the Timber Wolf is the same as the Tuxedo with the colours reversed. I don't know if that's true or not. If you like a brush that splays nicely, I've read that the Motherlode is nice, but quite soft.

Timberwolf is actually a dark grey bottom fibre where as the tuxedo is a white top fibre. They feel exactly the same. The colours are not actually reversed.

Motherload is an awesome soft knot. Make sure to get at least a 28mm knot to enjoy the feel.

c22TF3d.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: CRSW Glide Fragile Confusion
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Super Iridium BN-84 (4)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Floid Mentally Vigorous
Scent: Penhaligon's Sartorial EdT

The AS-D2 is a mild yet efficient razor - an impressive piece of engineering. Three passes and a few touchups for a BBS result.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Monarch
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Tonight Tipple:- Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14yrs Old

s15.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5 and Anthelios SPF50, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Simpson Jubilee QEII 130/150
Soap:- P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Razor:- Above The Tie - S1 Slant SB -Calypso Handle
Blade:- Astra SP (1)
Post-shave:- Cella

ACbChBQ.jpg

s15.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5 and Anthelios SPF50, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
mate how do you find the Proline? if you've tried them, better or worse than a Feather Proguard/Professional?

mate how do you find the Proline? if you've tried them, better or worse than a Feather Proguard/Professional?
I never tried the Proguard (on the principle that if a safety razor needs a blade with trainer wheels, then it's not much of a safety razor), but I put the Proline equivalent to the Feather Professional, but with a smoothness that comes out better with the Vector. When I tried the same blade in the Hawk V3, it was so smooth, I almost had to check there was a blade in. A perfect BBS, but I like a bit more blade feel.

So far, my favourite blade in the Vector is the Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink), but I haven't tried it on the Hawk yet. Next week. :)

Isn't it pathetic when the anticipation of such a small thing causes a frisson of excitement? :unsure::LOL:

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR/Squadron Soap Australians All shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95
Blade: KAI (1)
Post-shave: APR/Squadron Soap Australians All splash
Fragrance: N/A

Back in the day the KAI were up there with the Feather, except more expensive and harder to find. Trying the last one I have in the R95 to see how it goes.

The Australians All - still superb!

h0OuWGsl.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Simpson Jubilee QEII 130/150
Soap:- P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Razor:- Above The Tie - S1 Slant SB -Calypso Handle
Blade:- Astra SP (1)
Post-shave:- Cella

ACbChBQ.jpg

Nice kit - how are you finding the P.160? Worth the title of the most expensive soap in the world?

Last edited:
Nice kit - how are you finding the P.160? Worth the title of the most expensive soap in the world?
Worthy from a charity perspective. If $3K ever becomes loose change I will definitely buy a kilo
From the description at Italian Barber, it sounds like a rich man's Cella. :unsure:
Like marzipan under Christmas cake icing. Cella aftershave is a refreshing citrus scent not almond like P.160 or Cella soap

Status
Not open for further replies.