Shave of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas Day shave

After using a cart for a couple of days then not shaving yesterday Christmas morning was a chance for a nice shave again.

Using my new re-knotted vintage butterscotch Simpson 10 (on the right) given to me by my son for Christmas

La Toja soap stick and aftershave splash

Merkur 38C with a new Voshkod blade.

Very nice start to the day, I'd forgotten how good a DE shave is!

Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and blessed Christmas.

Another nice looking brush Mark!

My SOTD:

British Flair tip (a gift from my parents)
Connaught Peppermint cream
Gillette 7O'Clock Yellow
TGN brush
Body Shop Kristina after shave balm (gift from the wife)

I was sceptical of how the razor would go. I get such good results with the 34C.

Anyway it was a decent shave, will take a bit of getting used to before I can get as close as the Merkuer, but overall I am really happy to have another razor to add to the useable rotation. And
The thing looks great too, will have to get a pic up when I get home.

Merry Christmas guys.

Some shaving gifts - cool!

The Flare Tip are a pretty middle of the road razor but OK for a change.

Nice way to start the day though!

Some shaving gifts - cool!

The Flare Tip are a pretty middle of the road razor but OK for a change.

Nice way to start the day though!

It was nice.

It worked so that makes it good enough for me.

Would you say the flair tip is aggressive or mild? ....just mentally planning my next razor purchase!

Would you say the flair tip is aggressive or mild? ....just mentally planning my next razor purchase!

I don't know anything about flair tips but the flare tip is a mild to medium razor IMHO.

[pedantry]

Flare:

1. to spread gradually outward, as the end of a trumpet, the bottom of a wide skirt, or the sides of a ship. OR THE HANDLE OF A RAZOR

Flair:

1. a natural talent, aptitude, or ability; bent; knack: a flair for rhyming.
  2. smartness of style, manner, etc.

[/pedantry]

Sorry, recurruring razor pedantry ...

I don't know anything about flair tips but the flare tip is a mild to medium razor IMHO.

[pedantry]

Flare:

1. to spread gradually outward, as the end of a trumpet, the bottom of a wide skirt, or the sides of a ship. OR THE HANDLE OF A RAZOR

Flair:

[/pedantry]

Seems like Marko could wear his flares with flair.

I tried a feather out for the first time last night and can't say I was that impressed. It may be sharp bur I didn't think it was smooth, and I already have noticeable stubble that Mrs Egg is complaining about.

[pedantry]

Flare:

Flair:

[/pedantry]

Sorry, recurruring razor pedantry ...

No my one doesn't splay put at the bottom,... it has tassels and badges :/ lol

My bad.... Pretty sure I will now always remember its a flare tip.

I think this is the second time we've gone down the flare/flair path. It's in the eye of the beholder I've decided. Let's just call them a bell bottom razor to avoid any future confusion.

I tried a feather out for the first time last night and can't say I was that impressed. It may be sharp bur I didn't think it was smooth, and I already have noticeable stubble that Mrs Egg is complaining about.

I find that the Feathers are best on the second and third shaves and go down hill from four or five. For their price not good value for money (unlike my other purchases LOL!) in my view

I think this is the second time we've gone down the flare/flair path.

Yes, I believe so.

It's in the eye of the beholder I've decided.

Then, with respect, you would be WRONG.

Let's just call them a bell bottom razor to avoid any future confusion.

If you want to be incorrect then go right ahead.

Just make sure you don't get confused with the bell-tubed Aristocrat...

Tomorrow is an exciting day for me, lads. My old man (after a few months of prompting) has given up trying to resist my attempts to bring him over from the Mach 3! He taught me to shave in his bathroom, but the tables have turned, and he will now be re-educated in mine. Thanks to our trip to Mustafa in Singapore, his current kit includes an Omega boar and Omega shave cream. He seems pretty impressed by the Omega cream too, so I'm just going to substitute the Mach 3 for my 34C to keep things consistent.

I've lost my perspective on newbie blades a little bit though. I've wound up liking Polsilvers and Perma-Sharps, which seem to be on the sharper end of the scale. I don't want him to have a nasty shave with a sharp blade that'll put him off permanently. With this in mind, I was thinking that I'd go for an Astra SP or a Personna Lab Blue. Leaning towards the Astra, because I've always found it to be smooth and comfortable, but sharp enough to cut cleanly through stubble. I'm just mindful that many people (including MensBiz) suggest starting with a Merkur or Derby before the Astra. I didn't really like either of those blades when I started (the Derby is okay now), but the Astra was good and I wished I'd started there.

So, where would you guys recommend a newcomer start as far as blades are concerned?

So, where would you guys recommend a newcomer start as far as blades are concerned?

WOOT WOOT - well done you.

I'd suggest starting with the Astra

He's weaseled out of it twice, but the "painting the house" excuse only works until the house is painted, which it now is. The Astra in the 34C will be the weapon of choice. I'm stuck on another issue though. Should I be cruel and unleash the alum block as a cheeky surprise?

I find that the Feathers are best on the second and third shaves and go down hill from four or five. For their price not good value for money (unlike my other purchases LOL!) in my view

You are right, the 2nd shave was much, much better than the first. But the first was almost enough for me not to bother with them again. I'll try one more, but if the first shave on that blade is the same as this one, I will probably pif the rest on.

Talking of which I do have a few bits and pieces I wanted to find for pifs. I have somehow done a Mark and managed to lose some chroma blades, some shogun blades, and two unused bottles of tabac a/s.

I don't know why I've been put off trying the Feather, but I have been. I get along fine with sharp blades, but I don't seem to see the word 'good' next to Feather blades that much. Just 'sharp'. Did you get a good shave this time though Egg? I'm wondering about putting one in a Fatboy tomorrow.

Did you get a good shave this time though Egg?
2nd shave was very good. Very close, and just a little tingle from the a/s afterwards.

Just don't know if it was worth the first shave to get the second

Feather and m futur is my dream DE combo. Just waiting for feather razor to arrive for a trial. Otherwise astra's.

I find feather and futur is sharp, quick and has never cut me. I dont really need to take care with this match. Just zoom and done.

You are right, the 2nd shave was much, much better than the first. But the first was almost enough for me not to bother with them again. I'll try one more, but if the first shave on that blade is the same as this one, I will probably pif the rest on.

Some guys over YKW 'cork' the Feather blades which I take to mean literally run them through a bit of cork to get the initial roughness gone. One (of many) threads here.

Status
Not open for further replies.