Shaving Soaps/Creams - Safety Razor -v- Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
For years I used Nivea shaving cream. It worked well for me with safety razors and cartridges. When I started straight razor shaving I stayed with the Nivea cream but was not overly impressed with it. I then tried Proraso green cream and some other, both with safety razor and straight razor. I found that some worked well with one and not the other.

Have you found that some shaving soaps/creams work better with safety razors than they dp with straight razors?

I can say that I miss using my straights. With kids these days I parked the straight shave until I can have the time to take my time.

which increasingly seem like when I retire

For years I used Nivea shaving cream. It worked well for me with safety razors and cartridges. When I started straight razor shaving I stayed with the Nivea cream but was not overly impressed with it. I then tried Proraso green cream and some other, both with safety razor and straight razor. I found that some worked well with one and not the other.

Have you found that some shaving soaps/creams work better with safety razors than they dp with straight razors?

Proraso have a line of shaving cream with SR shavers in mind.

https://www.prorasoaustralia.com.au/400710.html
https://www.prorasoaustralia.com.au/400711.html
https://www.prorasoaustralia.com.au/400712.html

They are much noticably better in performance to regular Proraso.

@rhodes96, thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of them. Something to look forward to finding if I ever get to go overseas again.

Unfortunately, in the Philippines we only have one importer of Proraso products and he only brings in one container load at a time. He ran out of Proraso shave cream months ago and doesn't know when he will be getting another shipment. I still have enough for a few more months but I expect to run out well before his next shipment arrives.

@rhodes96, thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of them. Something to look forward to finding if I ever get to go overseas again.

Unfortunately, in the Philippines we only have one importer of Proraso products and he only brings in one container load at a time. He ran out of Proraso shave cream months ago and doesn't know when he will be getting another shipment. I still have enough for a few more months but I expect to run out well before his next shipment arrives.

https://1outlets.ph/go/Proraso

They have a full range of proraso products, and free shipping.

I have a tub of the SR range creams of proraso Azur Lime that @rhodes96 has mentioned above and can confirm the SR range of creams >> slick than normal proraso

my other favorite soaps are B&M (both exelisor and reserve base), A&E (especially Kaizen base), PAA CK6 formula soaps and MdC are among my favorites plenty of slickness and protection.

Can confirm that the Wood Spice Proraso Shave cream is one of the slickest creams I've ever used. I will be using the Yaqi Roar shave soap on Friday with my latest straight acquisition and see how she performs, but out of the tub it lathers quickly and is slick as anything else I have tried.

As for soaps, the slickest I've used for straight shaving includes the Ariana & Evans Kaizen based soaps, Squadron Shave Soaps and Noble Otter.

Of my comparatively small collection of soaps (15 to be precise) I'm always struck by the performance of the Wholly Kaw donkey milk base. Every time I take it for a run, it always seems like I could easily go in for 6 passes without my skin complaining. I would be willing to bet this would make a really good partner for a straight razor shaver.

And the stuff just seems to last forever. I haven't even made a dent in my Chypre Rose Concerto yet, and I load heavily.

You would, I presume, have to order from overseas to get it in the Philippines, but you wouldn't be alone. As far as I know, there are no Australian agents either...

Of my comparatively small collection of soaps (15 to be precise) I'm always struck by the performance of the Wholly Kaw donkey milk base. Every time I take it for a run, it always seems like I could easily go in for 6 passes without my skin complaining. I would be willing to bet this would make a really good partner for a straight razor shaver.

And the stuff just seems to last forever. I haven't even made a dent in my Chypre Rose Concerto yet, and I load heavily.

You would, I presume, have to order from overseas to get it in the Philippines, but you wouldn't be alone. As far as I know, there are no Australian agents either...
Mensbiz used to stock some of the range, not sure why they stopped

Mensbiz used to stock some of the range, not sure why they stopped
I can tell you exactly why they stopped. They were asking $50-$55 per tub which the average Joe could spot as being price gouging a mile away. They only got rid of all their stock recently by dropping them to about $30 which many seen as a bargain and swooped like it was a freebie!

Also, I see something being referred to as “straight shaving” above. Can someone tell me what that is, and how it differs from “shaving”?

I can tell you exactly why they stopped. They were asking $50-$55 per tub which the average Joe could spot as being price gouging a mile away..
Also, I see something being referred to as “straight shaving” above. Can someone tell me what that is, and how it differs from “shaving”?
I notice the prices direct from WK are not exactly cheap at US$30. I guess if Mens Biz scored them on a day when the exchange rate was bad, they might have hiked the price to compensate. I didn't pay anything like that, mine was a great score from another member of this forum.

BTW, I think "straight shaving" refers to shaving with a straight razor, as per the title of the thread ;)

I notice the prices direct from WK are not exactly cheap at US$30. I guess if Mens Biz scored them on a day when the exchange rate was bad, they might have hiked the price to compensate. I didn't pay anything like that, mine was a great score from another member of this forum.

BTW, I think "straight shaving" refers to shaving with a straight razor, as per the title of the thread ;)
The US$30 tubs are the newer "Siero" base whereas the older Donkey milk formula was ~$24US.

I got a feeling we're gonna be seeing a load more WK soaps on our shore shortly too....

The US$30 tubs are the newer "Siero" base whereas the older Donkey milk formula was ~$24US.

I got a feeling we're gonna be seeing a load more WK soaps on our shore shortly too....
Good, I wouldn't mind scoring a tub of Lav Sublime before I jump into my 2021 sabbatical :cool:

Where do you expect to see them?

I can tell you exactly why they stopped. They were asking $50-$55 per tub which the average Joe could spot as being price gouging a mile away. They only got rid of all their stock recently by dropping them to about $30 which many seen as a bargain and swooped like it was a freebie!

$41Aus + delivery $5 + GST There is your $50. I am assuming profit is in the $41.

Wholly Kaw is an expensive soap. Is it worth the $30 US ? To me NO
Is it an elite level soap ? YES

If Wholly Kaw was around $20 US per tub, then it would be worth buying as other Artisans can produce Elite level soaps for that price range.

TSW sold the same wk soap for alot cheaper than men's biz
They also had Declaration Grooming and for some unknown f’d up reason chose to never order off Scott again!!!

edit: I think it’s the owner of TSW who has no clue tbh

They also had Declaration Grooming and for some unknown f’d up reason chose to never order off Scott again!!!

edit: I think it’s the owner of TSW who has no clue tbh

I guess you like D G too ? :)

Apart from Artisan Arcade who have been excellent in bringing in the latest soaps and supplies from Stirling, why are the local shaving supply vendors not stocking up supplies from US artisans ?

Last edited: