Shimming - who does it and how do you find it?

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Hirsute brethren,

I know there's a few members here who have referred to shimming some of their milder razors but just wondered how they've found the results of this and is it something they regularly do or too much of a PITA?

I recall reading about it many moons ago but never really tried - then for some reason the idea appealed to me again recently and so welcome people's shimming exploits e.g how many shims, which razors did it positively/negatively influence etc.

Apparently our grandfathers shimming their old DE's was the inspiration for Gillette coming up with the adjustable - so its a concept that should work very well.

Interested to hear member feedback.

Cheers, Nick

Apparently our grandfathers shimming their old DE's was the inspiration for Gillette coming up with the adjustable - so its a concept that should work very well.

I use an adjustable or different razor (ie with a larger blade gap) rather than shim. I could understand the idea if you only had a few (or favourite) razor. I haven't personally tried or been motivated to do it.

Ok, so everyone's doing it - fair enough.

But anyway - just stumbled across this (which reminds me of the much more sanely priced one on Kickstarter) but so this is $USD399!!!!!! And for the life of me I cannot see what the difference is between this.....and using any 3 piece razor and a few shims.

I mean if you had to have a SS razor get yourself a Weber PH and trim the edge off a few old blades and I dunno if there'd be any difference in real world results. Don't get me wrong I'd imagine the staff at ATT start giggling when (or should I say IF) anyone comes in to get/orders one!

I'm going to make a few shims up and try on my recently acquired EJ DE89, which has the reputation as a beautiful and very well made razor but very mild....or to use the classic sporting quote,"He looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane!".

DE89 - much more aggressive than a regular super speed, Rocket HD etc. A bit milder than a 34C. Maybe Slim @4-5?

I wonder if any of the guys with the lighter Merkur models can chime in with a comparison?

DE89 is well put together. Feels more substantial than any of the other razors I have on hand despite not being the heaviest.

I find a shim basically turns a de blade into a nice, thick and sturdy injector like blade.