Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Inspired by Comet the owl I wanted to share a pic and encourage others to do likewise.

So here is something to kick things off - iphone 4S

The background: yesterday morning - early flight out of CBR. It was -2 and foggy on the way to the airport. Got to the lounge to discover my flight was cancelled but they got me on an earlier one (joys of Platinum FF) although I didn't have much time to grab any food. I needed a quick double shot and something to eat so consequently was one of the last to leave the lounge to board.

Rushing to the gate I was struck by how much things had changed since I arrived! The sun was up so I took the shot below.

Poorly composed I knew I needed to do something a little better thus the first shot was an attempt to do so.

The glass reflections and lighting made it tough but I'm reasonably happy with that first one. What do others think? Show us your shots

Unfortunately there are phone lines outside the apartment, but as jug will attest this is an average sunset in Darwin.
uploadfromtaptalk1399674787802.jpg

That's pretty good for iPhoneography, Mark. (He says, as if he knows what he hell he's on about)

Eggys shot is really good, those shots are hard to get, and you're only a minute of so away from losing what's left of the light (slow exposure and tripod?). I tried to get one just like it, power lines included (that makes it Arty), back in Jan when staying in the SW. I must have taken 20 or so and every one sucked badly.

sv101560.jpg

At first, I thought it was under exposed looking on the camera's screen, then I viewed it upon the computer and the subtle nature of it won me over.

wunderkammer001.jpg

A cold image, yet with interesting contrasts, a picture I oft finding myself sharing with those interested in photography.

kaleidoscopeofkolours.jpg

Dreaded lens flare in the image before this one from street lights, fog and freezing cold weather, so used it to my advantage for natural enhancement.

doav.jpg

It screamed to me to capture the long neglected and post industrialism nature of it.

landmarks.jpg

So how old is this image ?
Grandfather, uncle or grandson/nephew ?

All of my imagery was taken using a Samsung V700 P&S with limited manual controls.
Currently don't own a dedicated camera, only what's upon my phone.
Miss the hunt for an image, then trying to capture what I've visualised.

2ilmrnt.jpg

That's the extent of image quality from my phone.
Both extremes of exposure are terrible for detail capturing.
Was trying to capture horizontal rain due to the wind at the forefront of a storm that rolled over. while reflecting that it was dark clouds in one part of the sky and blue sky in the other part.

Eggys shot is really good, those shots are hard to get, and you're only a minute of so away from losing what's left of the light (slow exposure and tripod?).
Believe it or not that was also iPhone (or Google nexus) ography taken while standing on our balcony.
I really can't take all of the credit though. The sunsets up here are spectacular 4 days out of 7 and good must of the rest.

Nice shots borked!

The last one shows the limitations of the phone cameras, and possible most equipment to be honest, to truly capture all that we see!

Can't wait to see some shots from @stillshunter here (hint hint)

Nah, they're crap. What else you got?

Seriously, that second one. Too good. To some those look pretty simple, but the composition and technical know how to do it suggests plenty of expereince and a great eye.

But what do i know? Eggy pulls an excellent sunset out of his arse, off an iPhone...

OK - time to shut this thread down now.

I know when I'm 'beaten' - great shots!

OK - time to shut this thread down now.

I know when I'm 'beaten' - great shots!
Very flattering but complete bullshit! Let's keep this going - already gained some momentum with some great shots so far. I never cease to be amazed by some mobile-phone shots.

Anyone here already on Flickr as well?

Last edited:
Photography is a part of the family of art.
Art is very much subjective, so like/dislike are personal opinions, which at times are possibly due to a closed mind :)
Share and share alike.
Share what you like and dislike about the images you share, I for one, am interested :)

Photography is a part of the family of art.
Art is very much subjective, so like/dislike are personal opinions, which at times are possibly due to a closed mind :)
Share and share alike.
Share what you like and dislike about the images you share, I for one, am interested :)

Yeah I get that and I was pleased with the shot I posted first up. You can see what the first one I took looked like (the second shot) and I was pleased at the difference some effort made.

Yours are great too - I like the stars in the first one, the starkness of the second and the clever use of the flare in the third. I've taken those sort of industrial look pics like your fourth too. The bridge one reminds me of a shot I took when playing with B&W film in the day. It was at circular quay with a ship at the overseas terminal and a Manly ferry and inner harbour ferry all overlapping. It looked great in the viewfinder (in colour) but in the end result just cluttered! The colour gave them contrast and depth lost in the monochrome.

There is something about the shots from @stillshunter though which I can't explain - on a different level. I don't understand the difference so don't know where to start to bridge the gap. My daughter has 'it' but I don't!

I'll stick to boring accounting ... :)

There is something about the shots from @stillshunter though which I can't explain - on a different level. I don't understand the difference so don't know where to start to bridge the gap. My daughter has 'it' but I don't!

I'll stick to boring accounting ... :)
Again, mate, I appreciate the sentiment but…. if I've put you off then that's just a steaming pot of turd noodles!

Photography is a journey. What you're seeing is a sanitised sample of my better results having come out of the other end of a long meandering journey. When I started out many years ago I read all the books and magazines, I went through more cameras, lenses, and other kit than I'd care to mention, I tried all the software tricks and at the end of the day the best I achieved was looking like some or every body else's work. Yeah the results looked fine but they left me feeling cold; they just looked like the sum total of whatever I read or saw - without no soul. But now I've relaxed, the gut's hanging where it should and I can breathe better. I shoot for myself and make images that resonate with me. No Rule of Thirds or Golden Means, no searching for the most likes and holding out for that fabled commission (yes for one day I will be discovered!…what a crock!)…sure a lot of that compositional and other technical stuff has become unconscious, but at the end of the day I realised I am happier with my photography when I started to photograph what I am happy with. Just be yourself and the rest flows from there. My work's not everyone's cuppa but, hey, I like it…and that's why I do it.

Oh yeah and be generous with what you throw away…oh man some of my stuff …ppppppeeewwww

Seriously though, it can be a great means of expression and a telling journey in and of itself - ultimately all roads lead back to the shooter. Also when you hit the zone - when time fades away and you're just there lost in the moment - man it's a buzz! It don't happen often, and you can't force it, but when it hits you….MAN!

I s'pose it'd be like riding the perfect wave or pulling off the perfect shave ;)

There is something about the shots from @stillshunter though which I can't explain - on a different level. I don't understand the difference so don't know where to start to bridge the gap.

I'll have a crack. He's nailed the whole package. Composition (see rule of thirds, which can, and is, often broken), points of interest, technical ability to capture something he either sees, or wants to produce (I think that black and white has some software editing done), in detail. And a decent bit of kit to worth with. I'm pretty sure they weren't done on an iPhone…

EDIT. Yeah your composition may be unconscious, and I'm pretty hazy on that aspect, but it's one of those rules/guides to know, so that you can break it properly. I think your B&W and the field pics show how the rule works though.

I think it's landscapes in general that come across best with the thirds composition.

Well Drubs, mate, all I can say is Thank You! You've made an old fella smile… (the emoticon is implied)