Show us your pics ....

And a decent bit of kit to worth with. I'm pretty sure they weren't done on an iPhone…
Nah kit means squat unless you're shooting big prints or billboards. I have mates shooting phenomenal imagery - and making money! - with iPhones and compact cameras. Here's a recent image from my small sensor point and shoot.

three phases by stillshunter, on Flickr

I could never get anything like that from my PS. Shit, I doubt I could with $10k worth of gear. Not any way to work around the auto settings on my PS, and just not intuitive to use. I find the Canon a lot easier to use. At least it lets me experiment off auto easily, and I can still jump back if I need to try and get something I don't know how to otherwise.

I don't need another hobby, my interest in photography extends to getting a grip on the basics, and getting more consistent pics, by knowing how to use the camera better. Auto settings don't always do that. So far the owl pics are about the best thing I've shot.

I could never get anything like that from my PS. Shit, I doubt I could with $10k worth of gear. Not any way to work around the auto settings on my PS, and just not intuitive to use. I find the Canon a lot easier to use. At least it lets me experiment off auto easily, and I can still jump back if I need to try and get something I don't know how to otherwise.
Yeah you could. Has nothing to do with the camera (in 95% of cases) and everything to do with seeing. That's why I like uncomplicated compact digital and film cameras. I don't want them to get in the way, but simply to show what I see. Sounds wanky I know, but if you think about it that's all there really is to photography. Unless you're into 'glamour' - though most old bearded perves use it as an excuse.

I don't need another hobby, my interest in photography extends to getting a grip on the basics, and getting more consistent pics, by knowing how to use the camera better. Auto settings don't always do that.
I hear ya…and yet here I am. Wet shaving is bad as photography. Can get as esoteric as well….'understand the facets of your face like facets of a diamond..". Hmmm…

So far the owl pics are about the best thing I've shot.
…and I reckon that's a corker!

C'mon folks more images!!!!

Yeah you could. Has nothing to do with the camera (in 95% of cases) and everything to do with seeing. That's why I like uncomplicated compact digital and film cameras. I don't want them to get in the way, but simply to show what I see. Sounds wanky I know, but if you think about it that's all there really is to photography. Unless you're into 'glamour' - though most old bearded perves use it as an excuse.

I get what you're saying, but you have to know how ant of it works. I think I've got a potentially decent eye too, but never got any landscape stuff of interest. My PS was a pain to navigate and I never got anything useful but the family happy snaps. At least with the SLR I can change modes really easily, and when on manual, play around with the Aperture, IO and SS. to try and build that understanding of what works in given situations. I'm reading Bryan Peterson's book, which is the only text that so far makes it understandable.

Thumbs up on the Bryan Paterson book - I'm assuming Understanding Exposure? Top book, re-read many times over, over the years. Always little pearls in there every time. It's what I recommend to anyone serious about photography…that and Freeman Patterson's Photography and the Art of Seeing. Otherwise studying the works of the 'masters'…I love my anthologies.

Well my P&S's all have good manual control - my highest prerequisite. Currently shooting with Canons G15 and G1x. For me, (YMMV caveat applies) the G-series has evolved and perfected the P&S over time. Has all the controls you need at your finger-tips. I don't do touch-screens, menu-diving or Nintendo dial/button combo driving.
For the record: I don't have an SLR (neither digital or film) any more, only P&S digital and film and a film rangefinder.

Yes, seems this book was recommended pretty much every place I asked.

Hmmm, seems all PS aren't created the same. The Canon G15 and !x are monsters compared to my very average Sony Cybershot. Having a quick look at them, they allow the same easy access to settings and manual as my 700D, just without the weight. It's obvious in the right hands, they're every bit as good at taking pics as a DSLR.

I went with a DSLR cos that's what the mrs wanted. Her friends had various iterations of the Canon 600. Our neighbour let me play with his when we all took the kids away for a weekend, and I got on with it fairly quickly, so that was it. We got the one with 18-135 lens, to avoid buying two. I've already been able to do stuff I could never do with the Sony, so it's been a good buy.

I'm lucky. Driving around for 12 hours per day for a week or longer with occasional stops to take photos was my parents idea of a great holiday. For a car sick 6 year old sitting in the back it wasn't much fun, and I've had little to no interest in photography ever since.

Canon Powershot A610 all automatic point and shoot, about four years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1537 shrink.jpg
    IMG_1537 shrink.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 23
wunderkammer001.jpg

A cold image, yet with interesting contrasts, a picture I oft finding myself sharing with those interested in photography.
This image is quite interesting indeed!

This image is quite interesting indeed!
Thank you.
It surprises a lot of people that it was shot with http://preview.tinyurl.com/m95qt8v
My first camera, one that has sadly gone to the camera gods and not been replaced as yet :(
Goes to show that there is little excuse when it comes to taking a decent shot.
I've read virtually nothing, had no formal training and very limited exposure (pun not intended) to photography, I learned while out and about while using it :)
Would love another p&s with manual controls, yet this time, mirrorless and water/shock/dust resistant considering the industrial/wild nature my shots tend to be surrounded by.

Your monoculture shot reminds me of a time go by, a time spent in the Riverina with a typical country lass :)
Yet for me, it's purple fields, fields of Patterson's Curse.
One day, I'll attempt to emulate your shot :)

Is the beauty of sharing photography, it induces new concepts and ideas, along with inspiration :)

Once again, considering the calibre of what you've shared, I thank you for your compliment and it's inspiration :)

From the farm over Christmas

Taken over a couple of different nights. Sunsets are hard to muck up when you have such a stunning base to work from. Nothing special, just the iPhone 6+ without any stand or tripod.

Nothing professional but I like them :)

What kind of diy shop do you call yourself Bunnings? Lazy gits called the fire brigade in for that? Few rolls of gaffer take and she'd have been right!

What had actually happened to cause those windows to drop?

Ooops indeed. A little 'convenient' that you were at the ready with your camera @borked . Yeah, yeah, right place right time, it's the camera on my phone, honest officer I was just testing its resilience, blah, blah, blah. Just remember I was bred in the Western suburbs too mate so I know how these things play out..

Mini cyclone/twister hit the building and the difference in pressure blew out the walls and stripped about 20 aisles of roof panneling off.
Surreal feeling watching the building pulsate.

Mini cyclone/twister hit the building and the difference in pressure blew out the walls and stripped about 20 aisles of roof panneling off.
Surreal feeling watching the building pulsate.

WOW - not fun :(

I was in the Macquarie Centre once at the end of two weeks of heavy rain and not long after the roof of a centre in Strathfield (?) collapsed. As I was going up the escalators a large chunk of roof fell down further up. Luckily there was nobody ahead of me on the up escalators although those on the parallel down escalators got an almighty shock. As did I though I confess. Never ran DOWN an UP escalator so fast in my life. Adrenaline rushing around the body I seriously thought that that whole lot was coming down. Not fun in those moments.

WOW - not fun :(

I was in the Macquarie Centre once at the end of two weeks of heavy rain and not long after the roof of a centre in Strathfield (?) collapsed. As I was going up the escalators a large chunk of roof fell down further up. Luckily there was nobody ahead of me on the up escalators although those on the parallel down escalators got an almighty shock. As did I though I confess. Never ran DOWN an UP escalator so fast in my life. Adrenaline rushing around the body I seriously thought that that whole lot was coming down. Not fun in those moments.
Glad you're still with us! Crazy...

(Pssst- Who's down in your will to receive your razor collection? [emoji6] It's actually a big question really, because I know my sweet wife would probably dump my razors and soaps at the nearest Vinnies. [emoji33])