Show us your pics ....

In 1996, not long before he retired, my dad was working maintenance at Canary Wharf, in one of the buildings surrounding the small truck that was blown up.
When he arrived for work the morning after the explosion, the building seemed to have faired quite well - a bit of damage to the outside of the building, and only one or two panes of glass broken.

But when he went inside, it was a totally different story. Bits of shrapnel were everywhere. The pressure wave of the bomb had caused all the windows to open, and pieces of the truck etc flew in and embedded themselves in ceilings and walls, but then the echo of the blast somehow shut the windows again.

For some reason my dad claimed a part of the manifold of the truck that was blown up as a memento.

Living near, and working in London for quite a long time I've had more than my fair share of close encounters. I've been within 1km of 7 bombs, and missed 3 by minutes.

In 1996, not long before he retired, my dad was working maintenance at Canary Wharf, in one of the buildings surrounding the small truck that was blown up.
When he arrived for work the morning after the explosion, the building seemed to have faired quite well - a bit of damage to the outside of the building, and only one or two panes of glass broken.

But when he went inside, it was a totally different story. Bits of shrapnel were everywhere. The pressure wave of the bomb had caused all the windows to open, and pieces of the truck etc flew in and embedded themselves in ceilings and walls, but then the echo of the blast somehow shut the windows again.

For some reason my dad claimed a part of the manifold of the truck that was blown up as a memento.

Living near, and working in London for quite a long time I've had more than my fair share of close encounters. I've been within 1km of 7 bombs, and missed 3 by minutes.
Crazy... Must have shaken you up...
I wonder what's worse: man-made explosions or earthquakes/bushfire infernos/disasters?!

The only natural disasters I have been through were Yasi and Larry, and luckily where I was missed the eye of both those storms, but my vote would be for them. The London bombs were not 'that' big and seemed to toughen the community's spirit to not allow the bombers to interrupt their daily life.

However I can imagine those close to the twin towers on 11/9/2001 would say the opposite.

With man made disasters I think you have the malice of the deed to mentally be angry about, whereas with natural disasters their is a feeling of futility that you can do nothing to stop them happening again.

His son knows their value, with general consensus is he will sell them (to us at greatly reduced pricing) and buy the vintage car of his choice ;)

I rather deal with man made, you can deal with it easier, where nature is at it's own disposal and you can only mitigate it's effects upon a limited level.

(Pssst- Who's down in your will to receive your razor collection? [emoji6] It's actually a big question really, because I know my sweet wife would probably dump my razors and soaps at the nearest Vinnies. [emoji33])
I just told my missus that I want to be buried with the lot - all the software and all the hardware! I know Steven Fry and the mob from QI reckons it's a myth that your hair keeps growing when your dead, but to be sure in case they're wrong there's another opportunity to go though the rotation one last time. Yes, I have thought ahead and asked to also be buried with a 20L drum of water.

The only natural disasters I have been through were Yasi and Larry, and luckily where I was missed the eye of both those storms, but my vote would be for them. The London bombs were not 'that' big and seemed to toughen the community's spirit to not allow the bombers to interrupt their daily life.

However I can imagine those close to the twin towers on 11/9/2001 would say the opposite.

With man made disasters I think you have the malice of the deed to mentally be angry about, whereas with natural disasters their is a feeling of futility that you can do nothing to stop them happening again.
Agreed - a great reminder that this universe is bigger than puny little apeman us!
So you not around for Tracy mate?

I just told my missus that I want to be buried with the lot - all the software and all the hardware! I know Steven Fry and the mob from QI reckons it's a myth that your hair keeps growing when your dead, but to be sure in case they're wrong there's another opportunity to go though the rotation one last time. Yes, I have thought ahead and asked to also be buried with a 20L drum of water.
Well that's one way to guarantee we'll turn up to your funeral. (We all want to know where you'll be buried... [emoji11])

You can always trust funeral directors. They'll be the last people to let you down

Glad you're still with us! Crazy...

(Pssst- Who's down in your will to receive your razor collection? [emoji6] It's actually a big question really, because I know my sweet wife would probably dump my razors and soaps at the nearest Vinnies. [emoji33])

No one in writing but the daughters who have made fun of me have been told it goes to my son :)

Don't know what you're doing this Easter weekend or where you are right now. But here's where I am with the family right now...

6sdLcJk.png

Australia has some beautiful beaches!

Don't know what you're doing this Easter weekend or where you are right now. But here's where I am with the family right now...

6sdLcJk.png

Australia has some beautiful beaches!

Nice shot mate
.....now that is a w i d e angle lens. What you using?

Nice shot mate
.....now that is a w i d e angle lens. What you using?

My guess is probably the panorama setting on the iphone. It automatically stitches together a bunch of photos into one wide one. Does a decent job of it too imo, especially as it keeps the HUGE resolution of the stitched photos, so you can make some pretty big prints with it at decent quality.

My guess is probably the panorama setting on the iphone. It automatically stitches together a bunch of photos into one wide one. Does a decent job of it too imo, especially as it keeps the HUGE resolution of the stitched photos, so you can make some pretty big prints with it at decent quality.
@MrT is the man! iPhone 5s on Pano setting of the camera. A beautiful sunny day so it made it easy.

Reactions: MrT
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Backstory (there is always a backstory).

I was upstairs at me desk. I noticed the light change and looked out the window and then ran downstairs. I grabbed my iPhone 6+ (the closest image capturing device I knew of) and ran back upstairs and out on the balcony, squatted down to get the composition I thought I wanted and snapped this -

By the time I'd looked at the result on the screen the light had changed, no chance for a second shot. It was not until later that I even noticed the moon (?) in the image as well.

As @stillshunter has said here a few times it is not about having the best camera - but have A camera. Thankful I grabbed this image.

GMsatm1.jpeg

Wow! Haven't seen this thread before. Some really amazing and unique shots in here! Felt I should add one of my own.

I'm currently in Kenya, enjoying a healthy mix of tourist activities and volunteer work in the hospital. A really lovely country with lovely people.

I stumbled upon a gallery displaying some local artists and their work. I was taken away by this particular piece and was fortunate enough to have a long chat with the artist himself. If I had a means to bring it back I would have bought it in a jiffy.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Backstory (there is always a backstory).

I was upstairs at me desk. I noticed the light change and looked out the window and then ran downstairs. I grabbed my iPhone 6+ (the closest image capturing device I knew of) and ran back upstairs and out on the balcony, squatted down to get the composition I thought I wanted and snapped this -

By the time I'd looked at the result on the screen the light had changed, no chance for a second shot. It was not until later that I even noticed the moon (?) in the image as well.

As @stillshunter has said here a few times it is not about having the best camera - but have A camera. Thankful I grabbed this image.

@Mark1966 my eyes are killing me :confused:
JHHzNrk.gif

Last edited:
GMsatm1.jpeg

Wow! Haven't seen this thread before. Some really amazing and unique shots in here! Felt I should add one of my own.

I'm currently in Kenya, enjoying a healthy mix of tourist activities and volunteer work in the hospital. A really lovely country with lovely people.

I stumbled upon a gallery displaying some local artists and their work. I was taken away by this particular piece and was fortunate enough to have a long chat with the artist himself. If I had a means to bring it back I would have bought it in a jiffy.

Yeah, been a while between drinks on this one. That looks like an enormous piece - would make an incredible statement in the right location!

Take care!

GMsatm1.jpeg

Not sure about the sizing mate. But I found a piece while in Colorado that I just had to bring back for my wife. Didn't look so big in the store, so bought it and went to the USPS Office the next morning to despatch. Like fun!!!! The total dimensions were way too big. What to do?
....well seeing as it was wrapped up I attempted to take it home on the plane. They were happy to do so as an oversized item...and they were nice enough to not charge me a red cent....remember other passengers have surfboards, mountain bikes, etc. So might be doable.
I tell you now I could not have left that piece back in Colarado. It's hung in the house now for over five years and it has pride of place above the TV. I admire it daily...
(even if it cost me hundreds or a thousand I'd still have brought it back. Just ask yourself about leaving it behind)
...you only spin around on this glorious Earth for too short a lifetime mate! ...and things don't often speak to us while we're here.

I know that this could get boring but ...

No filter or post image playing around. iPhone 6+