Review Silver's First HG Razor Kami-Story [PICS HEAVY]

silver

I still remember the very first time I lay my eyes on one of @Draco Noir SOTD, the elusive Kamisori. What a traditional looking tool. My Silver-sense was tingling. I proceeded ahead to PM Draco about them. He spent a few paragraphs to explain to me what they are and how they shave. He even offered to borrow me one to shave with. I kindly rejected his offer, as I couldn't even get a decent shave out of a DE, furthermore a Kamisori.

Many moons later, as I get to know @Draco Noir a little more, the curiosity got the better of me. Being a big fan of metal artpieces, I have decided to procure a Kamisori for myself. And @Draco Noir introduced me to HG Razors, operated by @gregg. This is a little tale of the journey between myself and the razor maker. This will be a pre-review for now, until the razor arrives at my doorstep for me to try it out, then a review will follow suit.

01- Design Phase
First it started off on a Post-It note (sorry, sometimes meetings are too long and I get bored easily), and I forwarded the idea over to Gergely. This was what I literally sent to him.
10ymiax.jpg

After some minor tweaks and some advice, the final design is then concluded.
25u0dpw.jpg

02 - Test craft
Next phase was a test razor crafted from Suminagashi plates, with our proposed Katakana engraving on the handle. The razor will proudly bear the "Horváth" surname in Katakana.
20gk7q1.jpg

03 - Cutting & Shape Grind
It's amazing how the project will start off as a flat plate like this, cut and grinded into the desired shape.
4kb23t.jpg

8vvpmf.jpg

04- Rough Grind
Next, it slowly transforms to a familiar looking piece of art. The rough grind process.
15ouz2q.jpg

05 - Narrowing the handle
Purpose of this step, is to bring out the Suminagashi pattern on the handle, to give it that wavey ink pattern.
2hhf0o3.jpg

06 - Quick Etch
Now, the familiar patterns of the Suminagashi is slowly forming after a quick etch.
30vf28p.jpg

07 - Stamp & Engraving
As with every masterpiece, it needs to have a maker's mark. Or two in this case.
2qmfdl4.jpg

24musu1.jpg

08 - Heat Treatment
This is where heat is applied to the razor to provide it with the hardness it requires.
2nty5a9.jpg

09 - Quenching
After it has been heat treated, quenching in oil (I assume), would be next.
346niub.jpg

10 - Tempering
Tempered to achieve greater hardness.
28wmow7.jpg

11 - Hollow Grind
Just look at the beautiful slim profile.
149bmzl.jpg

12 - Fine Grinding
It does look very shiny without the Suminagashi pattern.
mtuzao.jpg

13 - Final Etching
This is where the magic happens, the Suminagashi pattern is then revealed. I have read on many online posts that this is the only and also the final stage, where you get to see if you've done everything else correctly to achieve that wavey pattern. Do correct me if I am wrong.
w221k1.jpg

14 - Final Product
When I first looked at the final product, it totally exceeds what I have in my mind when I started off sketching on a Post it note.
24g3lv8.png

Specs:
13/16" Multi-Layered Takefu Suminagashi steel hardened to HRC 61 Full Hollow Grind

Conclusion thoughts, working with Gergely has been an amazing journey for myself. He's gone through the effort of snapping every process along the way for me, just so I can see what work is involved in crafting this masterpiece. I've gain a whole new level of appreciation towards straight razors. It's an amazing that he keeps me in the loop with everything that is happening. Should you have a need (or want) to go custom, please check his site out.

Last edited:
Congratulations @silver!!

You and Gergely have created a beautiful razor indeed - I think it is probably his finest Kamisori to date.
Wonderful pre-review too - it's great to see the masterpiece being realised. Thanks for putting such a great post together (y)

<enabling> Anyone else who's drooling over this beautful thing : it's an amazing experience having a razor made just for you, and surprisingly affordable. I highly recommend HG Razors (Gergely Horvath) as a real artisan and a wonderful person to work with you to realise your dream </enabling>

@silver - I bet it's going to be a loooong 3 weeks :p

Wow!!! What a ripper!!!
It's beautiful @silver and will be your pride and joy for many a year.

It is certainly special to have a razor made especially for you. Fantastic artwork @gregg

Now to learn how to use one! [emoji16]

@silver thanks so much for sharing. That is a wonderful full hollow. Do you already hone yourself? I look forward to your journey.

That looks beautiful and a great write up. Lots of awesome SOTD pics to come I hope.
Of course! Many SOTD's to come!
Congratulations @silver!!

You and Gergely have created a beautiful razor indeed - I think it is probably his finest Kamisori to date.
Wonderful pre-review too - it's great to see the masterpiece being realised. Thanks for putting such a great post together (y)

<enabling> Anyone else who's drooling over this beautful thing : it's an amazing experience having a razor made just for you, and surprisingly affordable. I highly recommend HG Razors (Gergely Horvath) as a real artisan and a wonderful person to work with you to realise your dream </enabling>

@silver - I bet it's going to be a loooong 3 weeks :p
Oh yes it will, but it will be very well worth the wait. Once again, thanks for introducing me to HG razors. Can't wait to use it!
Wow!!! What a ripper!!!
It's beautiful @silver and will be your pride and joy for many a year.

It is certainly special to have a razor made especially for you. Fantastic artwork @gregg

Now to learn how to use one! [emoji16]
Ah yes, the learning part will start all over again. Haha, but I am determined to get it right.
Wow, that is some inspiring stuff!
Thanks, I really enjoyed reading it @silver and also, great work on the "enabling" @Draco Noir. (y)
Many thanks! I had a blast working with @gregg and... are you enabled?

Beautiful @silver - simply fantastic - congratulations (y)

I hope it will bring you many many wonderful shave experiences!

@silver and @Draco Noir, thank you very much for the kind words and recommendations. Hurray, I can use the Post button. :)
No sir, thank you for crafting the razor for me. Now... Three weeks until it arrives!
Hey Kwan, allow me to paraphrase. "That's not a razor. That's a work of art!"

Jim
Indeed! It sure is a master piece. Very happy with it.