Simmo's Classic 1

I may have missed it... But is someone here doing re-knotts, not sure if I want to bother sending my brush to simo to get replaced.

This is true but you can't get Simpson knots. TGN knots can be excellent and I haven't as yet come across a shedder, but you'll end up with Simpson frankenbrush. Also, last but certainly not least, the cost of nice TGN knot plus Australian postage to and from here will set you back far more than actually posting it to England and getting a completely new brush (if you're convinced you'll get that deal).

True..... But I'm more a once bitten twice shy kinda guy. The simo knots are nice but they don't stand out as far superior in my thoughts.

By buying locally from an online retailer, your only cost is domestic postage which is quite a bit cheaper. Otherwise, you can return it directly back to the retail premises.
The difficulty with this - and this applies to any product, not have a shedding bash here - is then the store assesses whether its a warranty issue or not. Often they will refer to the manufacturer to confirm, before they take any action.

At least with Simpson there's no quibbling. They send a new product.

Also, we've also a pretty slim choice of Simpsons from local sellers.

True..... But I'm more a once bitten twice shy kinda guy. The simo knots are nice but they don't stand out as far superior in my thoughts.

Well part of their cost is the handmade process and paying euro wages to do it. But having tried Rooneys for the same money you get a big soft floppy brush. Which of course is what a lot of people want Filling a brush makes a big difference IMO, and no one else seems to do this.

Last edited:
You mean ones that shed all the time?

This isn't a B&B thread…

The way I've long understood it, and going on Jarrod from SS posts, hardly anyone is hand making knots anymore. Why you rarely hear issues from Plisson, Thater and others who still do, is probably:
  1. they're not selling anywhere near as many brushes.
  2. I think they only make big boofy mop-type brushes, not firm fat ones.
Some of Simpsons models are stuffed pretty densely. As Jarrod said, a automated process can't do this, and a handmade process can't be perfected. As for QA, you can't test em til you get them wet. I think this is why Simpson don't quibble over replacements.

Last edited:
Thater, Plisson, Shavemac, the 3 Germans we carry (Dovo, Leonhardy, our house brand), all make them by hand.

There's exceptions to most any rules, but I do think you hear less of these other EU hand-produced folks' problems mainly because of influences of all four that follow, ordered in my suspected factor of influence on public perception

1) they sell much less
2) they're not setting the knots as deeply - easier to gauge what's going on and be sure of the setting when bored more shallow but then the knot moves about more under load
3) they're not stuffing the knots as densely, so the glue can take up more of that space in that bore hole
4) they're trimming down the bore-hole end of the hair more to get a more unified base position (better hair's longer hair by and large, and thus the CH3s, PL12s, Kent BK/BLK12s, Leonhardy 700050s, Shavemac 177s, etc. obviously have the very best of hairs to be that long in the first place, and thus can't be trimmed much nor have much room to hide in the ability to get those knot bases well aligned).

In the end, handmade brushes are cool and always a bit problematic; you can't have their good without their recurring bad. Like Frommer's said of cycling in Dehi as a tourist, "pedal if you dare".

Having just read this thread in full I'm kinda glad I went for the Duke 2 rather than the Classic 2 or Chubby 1. Great prices on the latter locally, the former would have meant an OS purchase. Fingers-crossed the fact that the Duke has a little less shoved in the knot means there's a little more room down below for the glue. Has nice backbone and feel to it in Best. I'm into shave #5 and we've not lost a hair yet…oh jeez I hope I haven't just jinxed myself….I really hope not, as with each use I'm falling for this brush a little more.

So where you at, Simpsons-wise, now Drubs?

My CL2 is on route back to Simpsons.

I think Jarrod's post addreses the issue well, and think I've heard much the same from Mark W elsewhere in the past.

Well, hoping they replace it...

But yes, it's ideal for me. The D2 looks good, but probably a bit long for me, and that does make a fair difference with badger. I was suprised about the differnce between the CL1 and 2, only 1mm wider, but they use that extra mm to stuff more in.

Well, hoping they replace it...

But yes, it's ideal for me. The D2 looks good, but probably a bit long for me, and that does make a fair difference with badger. I was suprised about the differnce between the CL1 and 2, only 1mm wider, but they use that extra mm to stuff more in.

Fingers crossed for you Drubs.

Are you saying the D2 is bit too long for you in the loft or the handle?

Loft. That, width and stuffing affects how firm or soft for backbone it's going to be.

Last edited: