Review Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic

Nightguard

Having used this brush now exclusively since the 2/1 it's time for a little review.

First off, basics specs,
Total Height: 98mm
Handle Height: 44mm
Knot Loft: 54mm
Knot Diameter: 27mm

A somewhat lower loft than most Synthetics but perfect for face latherers like me.

Not a lot needs to be said about the handle, short and fat and provides great grip when in use regardless of whether you use swirling or back and forth motions when lathering.

The hair is the stand out part of this brush, not so much because of the individual fibres, but the density of the knot itself. This thing, like it's badger brethren, is very densely packed. Largely due to the density of the knot the backbone is incredible although in no way uncomfortable to use. And because of this density this brush, unlike most synthetics, will hold water, and a significant amount. During my first use I ended up dumping a lot of water all over my face and neck and ruining what was looking like a fantastic lather. The fibres themselves are very nice, with no scritch and a perfect amount of scrubbiness.

I've used it with hard soap and creams and it's perfect for both. Either on the face or in the bowl it lathers with ease.

In short, I love this brush. I've shunned synthetics for a few years now but this brush has changed my mind, more will be appearing in my den this year. It behaves very similarly to a badger but without the fuss.

After loading with MWF and lather.

MsXBLtOm.jpg
CN6Kwrnm.jpg

Bowl lather with Ingrams.
ao8wvNVm.jpg

Top view of knot.
jneWR9Zm.jpg

One of the big issues I have with synthetics is the ones I have tried required very slow addition of water, which gets tedious. Add just a little bit too much water at a time and it ends up running down the handle or all over the bathroom as the soap's ability to take it up can be easily exceeded and the fibre has no real ability to buffer it in time. This is in contrast to my boars, where I can add water in bigger gulps at a time and manage any excess much easier. It just makes it faster and easier to lather up.

Is this still an issue with this brush or has it been solved do you think?

The combination of strong/thick boar bristle with split tips is also a winner for me but I can see how a high density synth with finer fibres could achieve a similar result... There are other advantages to synths though, so hence the question!

One of the big issues I have with synthetics is the ones I have tried required very slow addition of water, which gets tedious. Add just a little bit too much water at a time and it ends up running down the handle or all over the bathroom as the soap's ability to take it up can be easily exceeded and the fibre has no real ability to buffer it in time. This is in contrast to my boars, where I can add water in bigger gulps at a time and manage any excess much easier. It just makes it faster and easier to lather up.

Is this still an issue with this brush or has it been solved do you think?

The combination of strong/thick boar bristle with split tips is also a winner for me but I can see how a high density synth with finer fibres could achieve a similar result... There are other advantages to synths though, so hence the question!
In short, yes. I had no issues adding water as I do with any brush. I dip the tips as I'm building my lather and as long as I've not left a huge amount of water in the brush before loading it doesn't seem any different to any other brush.