Slice and Dice - what do you use to fix cuts?

JugV2

Simply boring.
I haven't used anything yet apart from the Norm Gunstan method...bit of tissue on the cut.

Should I get the alum block, or will the Proraso styptic gel work just as well?

What gives a better result?

The gel is $9.95 opposed to three times that for the Alum block.

I haven't tried the Proraso Gel. I got a Styptic pencil at my local pharmacy instead - $5. I find you do have to come back and wash it off after 15 mins, mine leaves white residue otherwise.

Alum is awesome for a general finish off, not just for cuts. It is a skin conditioner too, and leaves things rather soft, while it seems to help soak up excess skin oils for a few hours too. I apply it wet, wait 30 seconds and just towel off - no rinsing.

Also, just a small nick responds well to a cold water rinse, light towel off and some of the Nivea AS balm.

Cosma styptic liquid is excellent. If you can find it, flick me a bottle please. I had my dad's left over bottle and wanted to restock when it ran out. I contacted the supplier, but they don't sell it to any barbers in WA and were very vague about getting stock in themselves. But I had to put the word out on B&B and Luc found some for me at a Vic barbers. Other stuff can work, but my dad used this and I'd like to keep doing so.

Works instantly, no residue. Much like Alum only far stronger. You wouldn't rub it all over your face.

Otherwise in perth, go into the Indian supermarket on Wanneroo rd Nollamara, and get an alum block for $2.

Sure, if I ever find any Cosma I will remember you.

Ah yeah I know the supermarket you mean, I go past there a bit.

I googled Cosma Stptic and found links on Google to your search for it on Whirlpool.

Gunstan method here. Nothing beats letting the blood clot on its own...unless you have hypo....

I did buy a $5 pencil when strolling past the chemist yesterday. I guess if I pop in a new Feather I can try it out lol.

First DE shave today and i have one bleeder. Rinsed off with cold water, but 30s later it started bleeding again so i went the Gunston method.
All good until i had to take it off (30min later) and that just 'broke the seal' and it started bleeding again, so i used my 'Allume Di Rocca Naturale' alum stick (looks a lot like a small roll-on deo) - stopped the bleeding straight away and was fine for the rest of the day.

I've got the Proraso gel and a styptic pencil. Gel works nicely and quickly - think it's better than the pencil. Although pencil serves me well in my travel kit.

I have the gel en route from Nathan at MensBiz, I have a pencil but will probably use that as a backup. I was more curious than anything about the pencil.

Glad to hear the Proraso gel works well, that's what I ordered.

I got a free Proraso Gel this month with my Semogue Pure Badger from Himage, it's their promo deal this month.

Himage have Semogues in stock? HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?

Crikey, they also have Momma Bears soaps too. That's new too.

At the end of my shave process I run my washer under a hot tap, wring it out and then flap it around in the air like crazy to 'super cool' it down (works much better than just running it under a cold tap). This against my face closes the pores back up again and also helps stop most little bleeders. If there's anything still happening, I'll wet an alum block and give it a bit of a dab.

For more serious mistakes, I'll hold a tissue against it for a while (or norman gunsten it if I'm in a hurry doing other things). But usually the alum block is enough to stop it.

Himage have Semogues in stock? HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?

Crikey, they also have Momma Bears soaps too. That's new too.

Only a few Semogues. Good to see the 1305 in there though. One of, if not their best boar IMO and a decent price for Aus.

Being a daily SR shaver, I haven't drawn blood or irritated my skin for a few months now. I still keep my alum stick handy. Last time I put it away, I nicked myself the very next shave.
I think it's all down to the quality of your edge. I never used to cut myself with the Western kamisori I made for myself back when I was a blacksmith. And the AC single-edge razor has yet to draw blood. But there are a few DE blades that often do (looking at Astra Blue and Merkur).

Trouble is, once you catch a mole or scar with your blade, you're doomed to repeat the exercise for the next few days. Having alum in a solution makes it work faster IMO.

La Toja shave soap has the same mineral salts in it as alum blocks do. Most small cuts and weepers will close up during the actual shave. :)

I used my la toja stick just this morning...it gives the skin a glass-like taught finish, similar to MWF. I'm assuming it's due to the minerals.
I don't get skin irritation like I do from alum.

Amazing stuff!