Smart phones

I hope it's o.k. to post this here. I searched the forum for a 'general - everything else category, and this seems to be it. But it all seems to be about shaving here? Anyway, if I'm in the wrong place, feel free to move me.:D
I thought I was cured of my obsession that lasted until a few years ago with technology. Really, I've bought nothing for years, and been happy in the realisation that none of these things will ever bring fundamental happiness.
Until...a combination of circumstances forced (yes, really) me to look at mobile phhes anew.
Right now I'm like a kid with a new toy, with my Nokia N8 that got delivered yesterday morning. Still learning my way around it. So far the feature I love most about it is that you can put your music on there, and send it by radio signal to any system nearby, thereby able to listen to your music in the car easily.....no doubt I will soon be visiting friends and imposing my musical tastes on them.:D
Another handy feature is the sat nav. I am so geographically challenged it could be called an illness if a psychiatrist had the time. Really, I can go to the same place 3 times and still get lost on the 4th try. I have a Sat Nav that my daughter bought me for Christmas before last, but now every time I plug it in it tells me I need to update it. Apparently the sat nav on the Nokia phones updates for free. But I've still to try that out and compare it to the Sat Nav.
Anyway, I thought of you guys as I played happily with my new device. For those of us who have a computer at home or in the office, we can do what these modern phones can do on the PC we're sitting in front of (no need for sat nav) . But for those of you out and about away from civilisation (as we know it) - well, music feeds the soul - even when you're lost.:D

Just got one myself (HTC Desire). Almost no need for a computer anymore.

My old work Nokia died so they told me to get a new HTC Wildfire. It's ok, but I find a lot of lack of user friendliness. First you got to lock the screen everytime or you activate any number of apps/commands putting the thing in your pocket or just handling it. Wifeys iPhone gets around this by swiping open sideways, so less mistakes made when unlocked.

It's not quite big enough, so texting and manually plugging in phone numbers leads to regualr fail.

Aso, for some reason it works with my blu ant car hands fre, but only for outgoing calls. Incoming calls go through the phone only. Can't find anything to fix this on blu ant site or HTC. So it's useless on the road.

It's not a fast as the Desire, so sometimes it's like a laggy PC. They also don't give me access to any mail or internet so I can't use 95% of the apps.

Wouldn't buy one for myself, but would probably go the Desire, as the size issues are negated, and they are a lot cheaper than Apple for a lot of the same kind of phone.

..........Wouldn't buy one for myself, but would probably go the Desire, as the size issues are negated, and they are a lot cheaper than Apple for a lot of the same kind of phone.

The iPhone is just a tad easier to use but for someone not as button challenged as I am (that's the vast majority) it would be no different. Great build quality and about $15/month cheaper with an entry level plan. Of course no little "i" in front of the name so you're losing big time in the fashion stakes. I think it looks a lot sleeker with the iPhone looking more like a mini iMac.

Drubs, the Wildfire is a cut down version of the Desire. You should hook it up to wifi at least once and update the software on the phone, this will probably fix most of the niggly issues.

Regarding the whole lock screen thing - little button top left of the device and it's locked. Solved. I know at first - especially coming from a Nokia - it's a bit of an adjustment. Did you want to take my Desire for a burn?

The bluetooth call thing is really unusual, it sounds like a Blueant device problem - does this problem occur with other devices connected to it or just the Wildfire?

As I work in the industry, I get to play with most of these toys.

sigh.

As a result, I currently have a Blackberry Torch for work, a HTC Desire in the drawer which is my loaner phone, an older iPhone 3G for iPod use, and my newest addition the HTC Sensation.

If anyone wants honest unbiased info about smartphones, fire away.

Nannysillysoap, I am glad to hear you have a nice new smartphone. It has a wonderful camera on it if you like such things, and a nice big screen!

Last edited:
Wish I'd known that before JugV2. I've been close to having punch ups at the local Telstra shop. If there's anything worse than dealing with your average mobile phone consultant I've yet to discover it.

Ah I should point out, NOT RETAIL.

But if you have an ABN I can help you out..

As for advice, always happy to provide that for you PJ.

Drubs, the Wildfire is a cut down version of the Desire. You should hook it up to wifi at least once and update the software on the phone, this will probably fix most of the niggly issues.

Regarding the whole lock screen thing - little button top left of the device and it's locked. Solved. I know at first - especially coming from a Nokia - it's a bit of an adjustment. Did you want to take my Desire for a burn?

Yes, I know the button. I'm not a complete banana. What site do i download the software update from? Have it on wifi at home but CBF to surf on a phone screen regularly. I just update my weather every few days.

Ah I should point out, NOT RETAIL.

But if you have an ABN I can help you out..

As for advice, always happy to provide that for you PJ.

How would having an ABN make a difference? I've got one but have never been asked. My beef was more to do with Telstra. Long story but basically after changing plans for a period of four months was paying for both plans on the same invoice with bills of $180. It got sorted in the end but I didn't make many friends at the Telstra shop.

Yes, I know the button. I'm not a complete banana. What site do i download the software update from? Have it on wifi at home but CBF to surf on a phone screen regularly. I just update my weather every few days.

There's a software update function buried somewhere in the settings menu... under about phone I think... (I have a Wildfire, but it's running a modified firmware, so I can't say exactly where it is :cool:)

Settings/About Phone/Software Update. Should run you to Froyo 2.3 I think.

PJ I feel for you having to deal with a Telstra shop.
I deal with business only, not retail.
PM would be better to discuss as I don't want to shill myself publicly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's no solution then.

I've had a ramble around and it seems a few people have an issue with the Wildfire not allowing calls through bluetooth.

I'd guess the bluetooth on the phone might have issues, as Blueant are damn near flawless.

If you only just got it take it back.

Happy to lend you my Desire to test out whether it's your blueant or the phone.

Well that's no solution then.

I've had a ramble around and it seems a few people have an issue with the Wildfire not allowing calls through bluetooth.

I'd guess the bluetooth on the phone might have issues, as Blueant are damn near flawless.

If you only just got it take it back.

Happy to lend you my Desire to test out whether it's your blueant or the phone.

Can't take it back. Already returned a cheap telstra one and they whinged like buggery about that...

The industry I work in. I wouldn't be touching Android phones with a 10ft pole. They are such a security risk now it isn't funny.

Last conference I went to, the amount of malware being made for androids now is crazy. I'm by no means an apple fanboi, but because of their sandbox style OS and how it is locked down with the user, Apple and Rim (blackberry) are the safest smartphones to use.

Until you jailbreak your iOS anyway.

The industry I work in. I wouldn't be touching Android phones with a 10ft pole. They are such a security risk now it isn't funny.

Last conference I went to, the amount of malware being made for androids now is crazy. I'm by no means an apple fanboi, but because of their sandbox style OS and how it is locked down with the user, Apple and Rim (blackberry) are the safest smartphones to use.

Until you jailbreak your iOS anyway.

I'm sure you're right but on the other hand I doubt the android industry is going to keel over just because of a bunch of phone hackers. There'll be scanning software or whatever phone equivalent is possible. The same sentiments were uttered when computer malware became a threat.

I'm sure you're right but on the other hand I doubt the android industry is going to keel over just because of a bunch of phone hackers. There'll be scanning software or whatever phone equivalent is possible. The same sentiments were uttered when computer malware became a threat.

No it won't keel over. Doesn't change the fact though.

To date now there is something like 60 million different unique signatures of computer malware with about 10000 being discovered each day. I shit you not.

Computer malware, and now phone malware is big big business.

How do these things attack the system?

Do they require open bluetooth channels, or are they trojan in nature?

Consumers generally will not give two stuffs as long as
a) it doesn't stop them from posting their shit on facebook
and
b) can be blamed on someone other than themselves (when they install the four thousandth app which does nothing to enhance their mobile phone usage or experience)