Some Newbie Questions

Azamazza

Hi Everyone,

Just a few questions. I think I kind of know the answer to some of these, but I'm not sure.

I get quite a lot of drag on some areas of my chin, esp going against the grain. I think this is sometimes due to me getting the wrong angle, but sometimes I think its a combination of a) the blade not being as sharp as maybe I'd like b) I'm going against the grain while there's too much bristle left.

Are these reasonable assumptions? Still struggling with shaving my neck. I find going across the grain (not against) awkward here. Any tips.

Cheers,

Az

Are you doing a W&XTG first? I rarely bother with an ATG pass now, as 2 does plenty for me. But a good couple of reduction passes is best before trying ATG.

Lather good?

Angle could be off - I don't find descriptions of holding the razor very helpful. Listening and feeling for the blade position is the best way. If it's dragging, then try a minute adjustment to your angle.

You can get a feel for the right angle on the easy bits. Try and replicate that sound and feel on the tricky parts. If your angle does wander, the neck will be tricky.

I found it takes a pretty long time to actually work out the lay of the stubble. I can't imagine you're having problems across but not against in your neck area. I've got at least six different angles in the neck area. I found it was harder to work out the least dangerous WTG and XTG passes. The whole three/four pass shave is pretty hefty on a daily basis. I do it every other day instead.

I found it takes a pretty long time to actually work out the lay of the stubble. I can't imagine you're having problems across but not against in your neck area. I've got at least six different angles in the neck area. I found it was harder to work out the least dangerous WTG and XTG passes. The whole three/four pass shave is pretty hefty on a daily basis. I do it every other day instead.

The problems xtg on my neck is more about shape of my neck there and the skin being looser I think, atg seems easier for me to manage there. As you say, Pjotr, my neck hair seems to pride itself on being able to grown in every direction.

When you experience dragging am I right to say up the stubble reduction passes.

I think the lather is ok--using Proraso sensitive. Trying to make sure I don't rush it.

It's all time consuming, but I do enjoy it--especially trying out new blades and stuff.:D

Preparation is key, also.

Make sure you are warming the face and bristles up, plenty of lubrication.

Most days I skip the third pass as W/XTG is sufficient. I do a third pass now if I miss a day for any reason.

When you go XTG and are having problems, have you tried the other direction instead (if left to right, then switch to right to left instead)

This could have been the first thread in the "doctor's office" too.

Also, if having difficulty in ATG, then just 2 passes of XTG instead. The aforementioned left to right, then right to left.
Might just need a better lather (soap, cream, brush, technique) or better blade though.

As far as the neck, sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Not WTG or ATG up/down, or XTG left/right, but sometimes diagonal, and sometimes switch directions mid shave.
My RHS neck has two seperate directions, half way down I have to switch.

Last edited:
Thanks

When you go XTG and are having problems, have you tried the other direction instead (if left to right, then switch to right to left instead)

This could have been the first thread in the "doctor's office" too.

Also, if having difficulty in ATG, then just 2 passes of XTG instead. The aforementioned left to right, then right to left.
Might just need a better lather (soap, cream, brush, technique) or better blade though.

As far as the neck, sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Not WTG or ATG up/down, or XTG left/right, but sometimes diagonal, and sometimes switch directions mid shave.
My RHS neck has two seperate directions, half way down I have to switch.

Still struggling a bit with my neck--seems to very little pattern, but I'll keep trying.

I'm not sure I've got the lather quite right, but it's definitely better since i started with Proraso.
Biggest improvement has been using a Feather blade. My thought is that my razor must be very unaggressive (it's a Lord 1822). With the feather in, I felt I got a much better shave. Much less catching etc.

Also, I've started doing at least 2 wtg passes, which seems to help. I do have a dark patch on my chin, where my beard is the thickest (just a patch!), but otherwise I'm pretty pleased above the neck.

Thanks for input guys. Cheers, Az

I also only really do WTG/XTG now. Some areas like under my chin, I actually go 2x XTG, and usually with a small WTG angle too.

I would suggest that the lord possibly is too light as a decent ATG shaver. I would be looking for something much heftier, and the most recommended from my perspective is a Gillette Slim.

Also, blades need to be sharp for ATG. You say you see an improvement with Feathers. I would be looking for more heft in the razor to keep the momentum going.

I also only really do WTG/XTG now. Some areas like under my chin, I actually go 2x XTG, and usually with a small WTG angle too.

I would suggest that the lord possibly is too light as a decent ATG shaver. I would be looking for something much heftier, and the most recommended from my perspective is a Gillette Slim.

Also, blades need to be sharp for ATG. You say you see an improvement with Feathers. I would be looking for more heft in the razor to keep the momentum going.

I've been kind of looking at other razors. I went with the Lord, because it was recommended and cheap. I wasn't sure whether it was just a fad. I'm tempted by the idea of buying another now--although I do feel I'm just figuring out how to use the Lord, but I suppose I need to deal with that.

Any recommendations on where to get a Gillette Slim and which year (there seem to be quite a few versions). I'll check them out. Also what blade do you think works well with the Gillette Slim?

Cheers,
Az

Any recommendations on where to get a Gillette Slim and which year (there seem to be quite a few versions). I'll check them out. Also what blade do you think works well with the Gillette Slim?
eBay or B&B would be the places to get one. You could also look locally at antique shops, or even ask around your family and friends. They used to be the 'cheap brother' of the Fatboy, but prices have risen in the last 8 months as people realise they are actually the better razor.

As for what blade goes well, I think the Bleues go perfectly with it set to 6, but then again I would say that. Any of the Gillette 7 O'Clocks will really work well, but then again just about any blade in it will be good unless it is a bad blade.

I would stick with some of the blades you know first so you can realise the difference between the two razors and go from there.