Something different

I am curious of whether you can set a decent edge and retain it.

Did you have a shave with one yet?

No,still experimenting.I am certain I can get a shave edge on many types of stone,just figuring the process.
I never thought flint on stone was going to work. Let us know how it goes.

Any update on this, @pvsampson ?

Looks like an interesting project. Very interesting indeed.
The last piece I was working on has turned out too thin to make it functional and have a decent sized blade to get the correct geometry.As it is a prototype......If these are going to be feasible I need to purchase pre sliced pieces of stone.These are always already polished,(no problem really),unless I order custom slices from a supplier or get large pieces of stone and find someone with a large saw.I have a ten inch saw that can slice,but I don't have a self feed vise to ensure uniform slices.Lapidary club here has a saw but finding quality stone then becomes a fator.
So,buy pre sliced is the go,and they are stained in acids so can have pink,blue,purple,green.Most slices available are not big enough,so that means finding them.Not too much of a problem,yet I want them large enough to get two or three units from each slice.That becomes more difficult.
I currently have a two pieces of dark blue,stained,that was one large slice that was broken.Uniform thickness and no major flaws that will cause the stone to break during the shaping.
It is stone.It is slow to work with.Most lapidary work is with small pieces,like stones for earrings,necklaces,rings etc.These by comparison are large,take care to work and there is a lot of attention as one very small grind in the wrong spot can turn into a very large mistake.
Long answer and not making excuses.Stone has sat for millions of years waiting to come to me to shape it.
I am figuring how to make the process go as quickly as is possible,for the result that I require.Also trying to source cheap stone stock.