Something Hairy

Mitcon

I'm excited, postie just dropped off a few knots to try out and play with. They are all meant to end up being Xmas pressies but I'm thinking I may just have to keep them all...

HYIZMwr.jpg

Hmm, only tried 2 boar to be honest and what I did try I really disliked.

I know lots love them, but then again maybe I should try one again lol, gives me an excuse to buy another brush knot now lol...Good thinking Toby

I'd no idea where to start with Boar

Honestly I couldn't say as the seller didn't say which type they were. They look all like a pure or best to me but every person lists them differently. They have very good backbone and soft tips. Comparing to a TGN HMW they feel much the same, nice backbone (maybe slightly more) and fairly soft tipped and thicker. I've not mounted and tried lathering with any yet so can't comment on that other than they certainly smell like a natural badger lol. I'm a little disappointed in the knots from TGN as they just came in with everything and got a bit out of shape. the HMW seems thinish packed compared to other brushes though what I had read said the opposite. Just playing with the HMW TGN I've noticed 19 hairs shed already. I can't honestly say I'm impressed with the TGN HMW knot in comparison let alone any price difference.

I've had to soak the TGN knots and put them in nets to dry, the synth was ok but the HMW badger was quite out of shape but looks ok now after a couple of days netted drying slowly. Either way I like the feel of these new ones and will be keeping at least one for myself, maybe two lol.

Hmm, only tried 2 boar to be honest and what I did try I really disliked.

I know lots love them, but then again maybe I should try one again lol, gives me an excuse to buy another brush knot now lol...Good thinking Toby

I'd no idea where to start with Boar

Hard to find good boar knots, seems the best source is to buy an Omega brush and cut it open.

No, I haven't. I'm told once boar wears in they can be a lot better, someone also suggested leaving it wet in the fridge for a few days.

Yep, some can be stiff and scrubby at first, but they smooth out nicely with use. Unless you get a nice vintage Ever~Ready, those stay scritchy forever!

I like stiff, scrubby, and scritchy. :cool:

Well the Boar I tried was certainly scritchy as it left welts across my face, that's how bad it was. Was one of my Son's no name el-cheapo that resembled a wire brush more than a shaving brush. Not a fair way to judge things I guess as it's quite likely not an indicator of what a decent boar is like. I think I will maybe try another Boar when I get the chance, to be fair.

I like stiff, I don't hate floppy soft and I've got a couple synths that give that but I do like decent backbone, don't mind a bit of scritch, nice for exploiting but something that literally feels like it's made of sticks rather than hair is too harsh for my baby face. But I do pretty much like every badger I've tried so far. That said it's not like I have tried dozens of different brushes lol, I'm very much a novice/newbie.

Well I've put a finish and polished the handle now and set a synthetic in one of the practice handles from the B-Day thread that the wife had being eyeing off. Monster sized handle/brush combo (150mm tall) lol, be good for wiping hair away from face/neck when she does my hair cuts...woohooo. Was great to play with all the new gear in the man cave as well, damn hot out there though today at 8:30am it was 39.2c

Thought I'd share here as this isn't the B-day burl pressie for myself and it's technically a shaving brush now with a knot fitted. Netted while epoxy dries and to keep knot shape, netting is a good way to keep shape and still allowing things to dry with normal use/travel etc. I was quite disappointed with the crushed off-shape my HMW knot turned up in unprotected. Considering it's price of $65 you think they'd pack them better and heck brush nets only cost cents...Grrrr

4X7eSs7.jpg

ZxmecjQ.jpg

I grabbed some on AliExpress, 100 of them for 6.20 so 6 cents a net. When you bulk buy brush knots/brushes it seems they often come with a bit of clear plastic wrapped around them or better ones comes with these nets. My Yaqi brushes when I ordered them all came with these with the exception of single orders which came boxed. That's where I got the idea from, the Yaqi brushes even though just open packed had these nets on them and they all turned up perfect unlike the knot I got from TGN. And after wetting & netting the HMW from TGN and a day or so drying it looked in perfect shape again. Do you remember those Chinese finger puzzles that you got a finger stuck in each end lol, well they are just like that. So they fit smaller brushes and just spread open for larger brushes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974052337.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.58c04c4dcs3V4p

JRh5m8W.jpg

Yes I do remember Chinese finger puzzles. :) I edited my post, but it was too late, you already responded. I found some at Amazon and a local store has some for makeup brushes that I need to take a look at. I had a few that came on some vegetables from the market but they were apparently biodegradable and went to pieces on me. But thank you! And that is a great looking brush. (y) :cool:

Ty for the kind remarks on the brush, I started on my B-Day burl handle but it broke free and tried smacking me one and was too hot so I'll finish it later. As to the brush nets not an original idea of mine so I can't take any credit lol.

I had Yaqi brushes come with them, and I wet that HMW and stuck it in a net for a couple of days to dry and it worked a treat. That's why I thought it'd be handy for those that travel also to help keep a decent shape while still allowing airflow for drying. I think every brush should just be sold with one as it just makes sense, handy and so bloody cheap it's not funny I don't understand why in fact they don't come with them as standard just for keeping the knot in good shape till sold or use.

It's a shame we can't edit posts at later points but oh well, just means a new post with a photo. Here's what it looks like after wetting and being splayed, shaked and spun dry. I was surprised how with a pure badger being that they are typically a little floppy that this still have a bit of scritch or whatever that scratchy feeling is. Seems a fairly dense knot, will be getting some other types of knot to make some for myself. Thinking I'm also going to try a Boar knot once I know where to get a decent one for a good price, also want to try other badger and synths but I'll get there.

ML3xhvy.jpg

Has anyone tried a TGN Boar or other brands of knots to suggest, not real keen on destroying a finished brush just for a knot. I'd just sooner use it as is than make it something else after someone had spent time putting it together already. I'm going to look into horse/pony and a few synths as well, figure I get a bit of fun and make my own collection while I'm at it. Keen on trying a synth Timber wolf or Tuxedo (maybe both if I'm lucky).