Speick 'Bay Rum' soap.

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Some time ago I bought 2 sticks of Speick shave soap (the tallow version, after I read that it was going vegan).
Grated them into an old Stirling soap tub and pressed them in.
Worked fine. Nice and easy to use.
Also some time ago @Holiday kindly sent me some goodies including St. Johns Bay Rum aftershave.
I'm a fan of Bay Rum, and did quite like the St. Johns.
But when my face decided to go all tender and delicate I had to stop using the St. Johns (it does 'burn' a wee bit).
However...never say die...I was shaving a couple of weeks ago when I had an idea...why not add some St. Johns to the Speick soap.
So I gave a couple of squirts of St. Johns into the Speick and left it until next morning.
Oh boy...what a difference. My favourite soap at the moment. Have used it every day since then.
It has that lovely Bay Rum scent, and it makes a way better lather. I give the soap a top up of St. Johns once a week just to keep that lovely scent going.
Maybe the alcohol in the Bay Rum has done some magic with the Speick?
I don't know, but I do know that I'm in my happy place.
I can now continue with the St. Johns and no more burning face. The Speick lather is better, and I smell as good as an old guy possibly can! (yeah...I made 76 this year).
Happy shaves guys.

Kia ora Blackie!

Nice experiment! :) I'm a huge fan of all things Speick. I find the current stick just as good as the tallow version, so don't despair when you run out; just pick some up, add in your SJBR and you will be good to go! :)

Have you tried P&B's Imperial Rum? If not, try and get yourself some. Bay Rum has been a real hit and miss with me, to the point where I just won't try any anymore, but Imperial Rum is one I'd highly recommend.

Have you tried P&B's Imperial Rum? If not, try and get yourself some. Bay Rum has been a real hit and miss with me, to the point where I just won't try any anymore, but Imperial Rum is one I'd highly recommend.
I'll second that. Most bay rum soaps I've tried have been a bit monochrome booze and cloves, but Imperial Rum is much more interesting. And P&B have one of the very best soap bases in the business.

I went looking for 'soap'. Just a soap...no real thought what I wanted.
Nothing really popped up as I cruised the internet...but then I found 'John Frum', and some nice person in Oz had sent me a sample some time ago.
So...popped a John Frum in the Cart, and then found an Ogallala 'Bay Rum & Sandalwood' (only $17 so not a biggy).
Both from an Oz supplier (Ozbarber) and shipping is not as horrendous as the USA guys charge.
I'm looking forward to this package arriving.
Gave the P&B Imperial Rum a miss this time. Spent most of my money on the John Frum.

OMG...That's what I call ruining one of the best soaps ever made!

The Speick scent is just so unique and pleasing!

Cool experiment though.

I've got 5 tallow sticks in my stash and bummed I didn't get more when they were discontinued.