Speick

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Taken as a range of products, Speick is my favourite. I haven’t come across a bad one. So far I’ve tried the cream, soap, AS, balm, cologne and deodorant. They’ve all become bathroom staples. Yes, I’ve got other stuff that will provide for my picky shave duties just as well, but life would be a little less nice without it. I’ll get around to giving my opinion and experiences with specific products sometime, but the thing I like about their products is they all work great, and I like the scent. It’s a curious scent, very much a herbal/citrus combo. Some may find it a little medicinal; I find it pleasantly warm and citrusy.

The interesting thing about Speick is it’s probably one of the early ‘natural’ cosmetic companies. They make a lot of the Speick plant, a medicinal plant used for centuries as a perfume and for general skin care, it's claimed to have calming and relaxing properties. It only grows in one place above the tree line in the Austrian Alps, only two families have farming licenses, and Speick are the only company to use its extract. Now, in a far higher-powered corporate environment, the arse would have been marketed out of this, and sharp suited advertisers would invoke dreamy allusions of crisp mountain air, with supermodel-like Austrian nubiles in Sound of Music aprons, shown gently plucking Speick tips into hand-crafted rattan baskets. The prices would also quadruple.

So as it stands, their stuff is cracking value, priced at the barbershop/pharmacy levels. Again, another working man's product with a bit of a classy male scent thrown in. The one exception is the deodorant. $11 for a stick half the size of most isn’t the best value. But unlike some deodorants I’ve used in the past, it does work, and it allows me to Speick up my whole shave/bathroom routine.

They have changed the balm formulation recently and I've just got the new one. At first I didn’t like it. I think mostly because I got bizarrely attached to the original plastic bottle and they’ve tubed it, and now selling a third less product for the same price. I’ve had the bottle for well over a year though, so it was probably lasting way too long for their sales.

However, after using the new one for a while, I’m sold again. It’s thicker, looks less like salad cream, it spreads a little less, but still absorbs fantastically, and the scent tweak is very nice; fresher, less creamy-herbal, but still Speick. I can’t Speick for the balm’s AS properties (sorry, that was bound to happen), as I use it post aftershave, as a moisturiser. I probably don’t need to anymore, as Speick and Cella are two great soaps that don’t dry my face, but man-cream is my one concession to metrosexuality. I’m getting old and need to preserve my looks, or the Brad Pitt body double gigs will dry up completely.

Last edited:
I've been stuck on my La Toja stick, whan that runs out I will probably head for the Speick for a change. Only seem to hear good things, and the price of the range is very good.

I love the Speick ASB and am pretty keen on the shave stick. Given that, I'd be curious to try the rest of the range, but:
  • I certainly don't need any more creams ;)
  • I use alum for deodorant
  • I'm not in the habit of using cologne

Nice to know it all works together for you, though.

Welcome Nosey.... you are only just around the corner!

Nice to see another Sydney bloke, these Sandgropers were starting to grate on me.

Stick's as good as the cream's as good as the stick.

They've no doubt differing ingredients - as I haven't come across a cream with tallow in it - but they work and smell the same nonetheless.

The A/S is worth a go if you use those.

Grating on RM is what we do around here. Feel free to join in.

I'm assuming "Nosey" has been known to a few people on some other forum? In any case welcome. Pity you're in Sydney. All the action's here in groperland. NOOOOOOOT.