Starter pack

MrT

Commander of Soap
State Rep - NSW
Group Buy Associate
Hey all

A close mate of mine is having a birthday soon, and I'm keen to get him into wetshaving. Currently he just used cheap carts and canned goop.

I purchased this starter pack for him. What do you think? My aim is to just get him to lather properly, as I don't think I will have much luck getting him to use a DE.

His birthday isn't until late Feb, so I have plenty of time to adjust this.

e3233c4f4ee7a1839ebefa1043eb1a05.jpg

Spoilt he is... That's a nice start up (and continuing gear!).

I agree to just get him to move across in stages. Starting with the brush and cream to replace the goop is the way to go.

Does he use aftershaves?

Jermyn St and Plisson would be my recommended first options.
Either that or the Cella and Omega and explain that it genuinely takes a month before the little piggie that could, would to near it's best ability.

I'd agree with @borked ...scary I know but there had to be a first time - either (Plisson and Jermyn Street) or the (Omega and Cella). The former is the easier win but the latter the more rewarding option.

Noting a few folks I've shepherded to our flock I believe you could get your mate across to a DE and he would thank you immensely for it. My most recent conversion involved Jermyn Street and a 34c HD - with a blade sampler of RedIP, Gillette Yellow, Astra, and Derby. A couple of months on and the boy is happy, very happy...and now that he has sampled Occams and Speick his almost ready for full initiation.

Last edited:
Can I be your friend too?

Great kit mate - good choices!

I planned to give him the lot, and explaining the difference between Omega (10066) and Plisson, TOBS cream and cella, and that YMMV etc. I got everything except the Plisson from Connoughts on sale :)

Are there any other products you would recommend aswell/instead of those above.

He's not into a/s afaik. That's not to say that I shouldn't get him some... But I'm not big into it either (yet), so I wouldn't be much help to guide him either. Maybe I could get him some Nivea Sensitive ASB, as that's what I use a lot.

I planned to give him the lot, and explaining the difference between Omega (10066) and Plisson, TOBS cream and cella, and that YMMV etc. I got everything except the Plisson from Connoughts on sale :)

Are there any other products you would recommend aswell/instead of those above.

He's not into a/s afaik. That's not to say that I shouldn't get him some... But I'm not big into it either (yet), so I wouldn't be much help to guide him either. Maybe I could get him some Nivea Sensitive ASB, as that's what I use a lot.
I would just day don't overcomplicate things.
Let him have one brush and one cream to get used to using them and build up a bit of technique before introducing too many other variables that may confuse him.
Cella is a Vegemite scent - you either love it or you hate it, so I wouldn't go for that one personally, but everything else should be fine.

One of each would be a great gesture to a mate, and just key him know that you have others he can try or have if he gets into wet shaving

I would just day don't overcomplicate things.
Let him have one brush and one cream to get used to using them and build up a bit of technique before introducing too many other variables that may confuse him.
Cella is a Vegemite scent - you either love it or you hate it, so I wouldn't go for that one personally, but everything else should be fine.

One of each would be a great gesture to a mate, and just key him know that you have others he can try or have if he gets into wet shaving
That's great advice right there.
I'm sticking with the recommendation of adding a DE and some blades but....

To amend my post, if you add a razor, perhaps a mild one to begin with is prudent considering he will be leaving cheap cartridges.
Add at least two tucks of blades to cut his teeth with, Astra greens I know you own and would recommend, above average in sharpness and longevity for a modern blade and not too harsh/unforgiving.
An astringent of some type may be beneficial too.
The simplest option would be to let him chose a scent and provide the suitable brush with it.
He's gotta like the scent to begin with :)

One brush one cream. Soap lathering requires a bit of work to get the hang of. If he's not a budding shave geek he won't find out how, and will have no idea what good lather is supposed to look like. He might end up using a whole tube of cream in a week, trying to get the consistency of can goo.

Fantastic idea! I would break in the boar though - at least a bit - by hand lathering every other day. Not about the softness, but I think the lather from brand new boars can be very poor at times...

Fantastic idea! I would break in the boar though - at least a bit - by hand lathering every other day. Not about the softness, but I think the lather from brand new boars can be very poor at times...
...dead on with the bolded bit....well if you are referring to Semogue. My 1305 is about 20 shaves in and it's about as rubbish as day one...but I hear by shave 30 the miracle happens.

BOT - the more I think this over the more I like your choices here.

So you think I should not give him the lot, and just one brush the the creams?

The omega wasn't expensive, so I'm not fussed if it sits in his cupboard unused.. I included cella because I really like it, not just the scent (which I like but I don't think it is amazing), but I really like how easy it is to lather and also its performance.

Maybe I should give him something like Proraso green instead of (or as well as) the cella. It's also easy to load, cheap, and has a nice menthol chill. I don't think it performs anywhere near as well as cella though...

Don't overwhelm the poor fella is what we're trying to impart :)
Let him cut his teeth first, then sink them into different creams/soaps, blades, brushes, razors, vintage gear etc :)
Enable him to start, with a promise there is more for him to try after at least the first month with the same blade, brush and soap.
Technique first, then equipment.

Ok. I have adjusted the starter pack. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Here is the new pack:
2cf7dedd7eb2267fc492b8044dd8e764.jpg

The cella and omega 10066 will be going to @Jimbo as part of a bundle I have sold him.

Top start...still not sold on including a razor mate.
...I know, I know, I get a little fixated sometimes