Storage Options for Razors

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
There is already a thread asking about how you store your shaving gear. But I thought I'd narrow that down to razors specifically.

There are a number of good options for storing your razors (specifically, but not exclusively, DE/SE razors). Here's my current way of razor storage. I share so as to be helpful and provide you another alternative that could be better than your current setup.

hSMibqT.jpg

I use these $5 (from Bunnings) clear storage containers. For your 5 Pacific Pesos you get -not one- but two different sized containers. There are other options by this company (or even other brands) but I use these ones.

hqorHxr.jpg

What I like about this solution is that you can see your razors, and yet they are protected. The containers can be stacked and are easily stored in a cupboard or drawer. Sure, they aren't a beautiful presentation option. But hey, they are a pragmatic solution!

QKCzmFc.jpg

You can see how I've arranged my internal compartments. These can be changed to fit the long handled razors as well as the short (and straights as well). You could fit one razor per section; or even fit several in each.

DQ6tdsA.jpg

I use the smaller container for a selection of razor blades. Basically, a much smaller (and easily accessible) selection of my razor blades.

I add the small desiccant sachets which help keep moisture away as well.

Wow this looks great @filobiblic . Thanks for sharing mate.
How would 5 straights fit in the large longitudinal set-up you reckon?

Off to Bunnings for my lunch break today methinks...

Stillshunter,

This may be an old thread but I have a solution to your straight problem.

I made this box from a chocolate box

I bought this from Bunnings in the craft section (wooden 'book')

Each took about 1 day to make and works great.

I wanted to keep the razors out of the bathroom to avoid rust, so they now sit on a table in the bedroom.

Stillshunter,

This may be an old thread but I have a solution to your straight problem.

I made this box from a chocolate box

I bought this from Bunnings in the craft section (wooden 'book')

Each took about 1 day to make and works great.

I wanted to keep the razors out of the bathroom to avoid rust, so they now sit on a table in the bedroom.
Hey @Straight up all your photos give me a 404 error on them. Are they public in google photos?

Sorry guys, I normally save all my photos on the hard drive & insert them into the message.

I joined Imugr, lets see if it works. Nope, need to contact admin. Probably haven't been on long enough to post pics???

How's this link? I grabbed a share link from Google. I tried freeimahe.host and am still waiting for the confirmation e-mail.
If you want to test whether or not your posts here are working as expected, you'll see a section called Crash Test Dummies at the bottom of the P&C homepage where you can do that without it looking silly in a discussion thread.

This was the chocolate box I converted. I decoupaged the lid & did a distressed finish on the outer walls. Initially I used hot glue to attach the fabric to the Styrofoam dividers. Later I replaced them with balsa wood because it looks less bulky & more finished. I probably should take finished photos of both boxes.
hVl2TC2.jpg

Here is a better photo of the chocolate box. The whole box setup cost 0$, pretty cheap. Chocolate box 0$, old fabric the wife had from dress making 0$, carboard liner rectangles (Wheetbix box) 0$, decorations on the box (old photo copies & printouts) 0$, paint on box (old acrylic paints) 0$. This was a test run for the wooden box, trying to work out how to line 3D shapes, would it hold them all, would it look stupid, was it stable?

I bought 5 Comoys Of London straight razors when they were 50% off, just to fulfill a fantasy of owning a 5 day set. Only real issue is the engraving costs more than the razors are worth. So I'll save the money for a nice used razor off eBay.

KPBy06L.jpg

Here is the outside of the wooden book box. This was the large book box from Bunnings craft section with space for 7, the small book would hold 5 depending on the spacing.

I did a distressed finish on the box (red undercoat & white top layer) to match the inside lining. I added a place holder ribbon, marked the sides with HB pencil lines to simulate pages, and took a photocopy of a page from a razor book I have. I liked the 1902 catalogue even though its B&W. I wanted the box to look like a book, I have been robbed before and the bastards took my antique razors :(

ozRsUKK.jpg