Storage options

garethm

Hey lads. How/where does everyone store their shaving kit? It seems most P&C members have multiple razors, brushes and soaps whilst some have enough to keep a small nation shaving well into next century. :weird:
Where do you keep it all?
It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Mark has a couple of extensions on his house for his kit and that RM has a warehouse and a little white van for all of his blades but what of the rest of us?
Is it practical to keep everything in the bathroom / ensuite? Is Tupperware the answer? How about a custom built wall mounted Cyprus pine wall rack to hang the razors and damp brushes and stand up the dry brushes? Before any asks I don't have of these, haven't seen of these and couldn't build one of these.:p
So, what does everyone use for storage?

I have an ugly glass cabinet with sliding doors for my little razor stash. It is not pretty but it works (pic from eBay listing).

My 'regular rotation' is in two draws in my vanity with my two (one in the post to Simpsons) brushes and current razor, or razors if using the Thomas Method(R), sitting on top.

Personally I just store my stash on a shelf inside a standard bathroom unit and inside one of the drawers. We do have two bathrooms so I'm not taking up space which would otherwise be used for endless bottles and tubs of facial cleansers, moisturisers etc. I just drag out whatever I'm shaving with next and put it on the side of the sink in preparation.

Mark takes up half the space in his laundry at home and has decided not to employ people in his office so he can use valuable office space to store his collection. Dedication in the extreme.

By the way there is absolutely no need to hang your brushes upside down for drying purposes. Just plonk thme down on their bases as they were designed and they'll dry just as quick. They look better that way too.

Ok. Good tip, ta!

That was easy. Normally I get arguments implying I'm a fool "cause water flows down hill last time I looked", or "haven't you heard of gravity" or (and this was the best one) "I hang my boots upside down to dry when they're full of water". By which time I give up trying to explain capillary action, drop a few choice comments and then a moderator, invariably clueless too, steps in.

In case you had any doubts there was somebody over at the other side who actually tested it repeatedly using a moisture probe. He used to publish his results every time somebody started proclaiming the virtues of brush stands for drying. He either moved on or got sick of it.

Although I always squeeze it and run it over a towel before putting it away I doubt even that would make too much difference to drying time.

...Although I always squeeze it and run it over a towel before putting it away I doubt even that would make too much difference to drying time.

I think you have to do this. I didn't flick out and run it over a towel once.
The next day it smelled musty damp.
I don't have any problems if I at least run them over a towel though.

I think you have to do this. I didn't flick out and run it over a towel once.
The next day it smelled musty damp.
I don't have any problems if I at least run them over a towel though.

Yeah it's probably a good idea. Mind you with 40 degrees here in Perth at the moment it really doesn't matter.

What I actually meant to say was that if you were to hang a wet brush or stand it up it wouldn't make any difference to the drying time either.

Mark takes up half the space in his laundry at home and has decided not to employ people in his office so he can use valuable office space to store his collection. Dedication in the extreme.

Not any more - see above!!!

OK, maybe there are a few in the laundry awaiting cleaning.....

That's not too ugly. It serves a utilitarion purpose and with all the razors inside nobody'll be looking at the cupboard anyway.

That's not too ugly. It serves a utilitarion purpose and with all the razors inside nobody'll be looking at the cupboard anyway.

Too ugly for inside the house though! It lives in the 'man cave' next to the pool table and my work bench.

My wife and I were looking for display cabinets for our formal lounge but they were SOOOOO expensive and I wanted a 'few' razors in the cabinet while she only wanted a couple. I realised that this sort of thing - more storage than display - was what I really wanted and for $75 on eBay from a place 3 minutes away it was a score!

The man cave is where they should be anyhow. I can understand your different respective interpretations and the associated consequences of what consists of a few/couple of display razors. Maybe in your lounge room you should just display the first ever razor you possessed and if some poor innocent sod asks why it's there, you show him the motherload in the man cave.

Last edited:
Maybe in your lounge room you should just display the first ever razor you possessed and if some poor innocent sod asks why it's there, you show him the motherload in the man cave.

No need, remember the wall cabinet in the downstairs (guest) bathroom....

Oh right. I assumed the wall cabinet was in your bathroom as it contains "just a few to use". Or have you like me taken over the spare bathroom for shaving.

Oh right. I assumed the wall cabinet was in your bathroom as it contains "just a few to use". Or have you like me taken over the spare bathroom for shaving.

Nah I shave in our ensuite but keep those in the cabinet downstairs - mostly my uncased ones.

The look on people's faces when they come out of the bathroom and say 'WOW, that is some collection of old razors you have there' and then you show them the REAL collection :)