Straight to a Straight!

horgo99

Evening all!

Very new to the wet shave caper, though thoroughly enjoying the first free tentative steps. 34, in Brisbane, and as the thread suggests, have initially skipped the DE step and jumped from cartridge to straight razor.

Shave history - stayed clean shaven through to early 20s. Initially taught with disposables, moved to cartridges pretty swiftly. Fair skinned and blonde, don't need to shave every day, more like every second to third. First major travel went to Peru, forgot my razor, went to buy one in Lima at a pharmacy only to find ALL had been opened, and at least 5 had hairs in the razors IN THE PACKS. It was at this point I first grew my facial hair, realised not only did I grow a nice even beard but that it suited me. Spent most of the last decade with some sort of beard, though minimal maintenance (read: none). Facial trimmer to keep it even and neat was the most, with occasional clean shaven. Always suffered with razor burn (particularly neck), pre shaving prep meant splashing face before applying whatever shaving gel I had lying around. Have decided to go more clean shaven and step into the world of wet shaving.

Have read around a bit on various websites (how I found this forum!) but ultimately figured it best to learn by doing! Took the plunge and bought my first straight razor and strop from MensBiz - a Dovo Diamant and Dovo Solingen Two sided strop. Elite service - ordered Monday Lunch, delivered for free Tues Lunch to Brisbane! Other initial accoutrements include Bluebeards Revenge Pre shave oil, Proraso Eucalyptus shave cream (green tub), Proraso Sandalwood/Shea butter aftershave, and Il Barbiere badger brush.

First shave was Tuesday night. Not going to lie - Definitely some trepidation but gotta start somewhere. Initial observations/thoughts:
- I suck at lathering. Got close enough to shave, but certainly didn't achieve glossy/meringue type thickness seen on various wet shave videos. More practice!
- No nicks or razor burn on first shave. Colour me surprised- thought I would look like I had been dragged through a Lantana thicket, but no blood or major drama (did take it VERY slow!).
- 2 passes, almost exclusively with the grain. Not perfect by any stretch, some parts much closer then others. No massively missed chunks, face much better then neck. Good enough to not warrant touching up with a cartridge/feeling self conscious going to work. Would have to be super close, and looking to see its not perfectly smooth.
- skin feels SO much better in the 24 hours post shave. Absolute chalk and cheese.

For all those good points though, I do feel I need to check-has anyone bought any Dovo straight razors from MensBiz before? Would they typically be considered "shave ready" out of the box? I hear people talk about "melting" the hair off their face, whereas my shave very much still felt like there was some tugging or skipping going on. Doubtless my technique is at fault, but would rather learn properly then practice with a not quite right blade and potentially develop poor shaving habits! Does anyone know any people that offer good honing services here in Bris (or indeed Aus wide?).

Random other tidbits in case anyone is interested. I enjoy watches (though my budget and my taste don't typically meet together!), pretty much all sports/physical activity (particularly cricket, AFL and Karate), have been lucky enough to do a fair amount of travel, with a good chunk of my solo travels in some more off the beaten path parts of the world, photography (shoot with a D750, contemplating a sony change, canon can go jump), love all dogs and admire good craftsmanship (was drawn to the Dovo Diamant razor not for the black blade but the African white ebony scales, similarly have a beautiful handmade japanese red oak 6ft bo from one of the last wooden weapon workshop family artisans in japan) and am lucky enough to be marrying the love of my life next June.

That's enough rambling from me- look forward to contributing more around here and learning from those more experienced then I!!

G’day @horgo99 welcome to the P&C wet shaving Sweeney Todd death razor fan club.

zG2RI1E.jpg

Welcome @horgo99
Excellent intro post!

I personally can’t help much with the straight talk but when you need some ‘assistance’ with soaps, give any of us here a holla and we will ‘enable’...

Morning @horgo99 !

@Substance is in Gladstone and runs DC Blades. I've not seen many factory edges that are great, and he'll be able to set the bevel and get her shave ready. From there it's just a re-hone every once in a while unless you invest in a stone and learn to do yourself (lots of people around here to give tips). There's a place at Redcliffe (something like therazorshop) that supposedly do sharpening, however have never used. Mark G used to do a lot of sharpening and selling of blades, and was one of the best around. Not sure if he still does it, but frequents some frag and shaving forums on FB. Not sure if Geoff is still around (can't remember username here), but he was out Ippy way and had a heap of experience on the stones.

Few other aussie artisans and craftsmen around when you get further down the wetshaving hole (spending more money then you would have thought lol). Enjoy the ride.

Gday @horgo99,
Highly doubtful str8s from Mensbiz, Beard&blade or nearly any other major shop are any more than factory edges, so not shave ready, if you feel scrapping is a good indicator,
I’ve honed plenty of new str8s from both Mensbiz as well as beard and blade and none were close.

Soap choices & Shave prep can definitely make a big difference as with all wet shaving but more noticeably with a str8 due to the variables of angle etc that come into play
Remember to use a light touch and only shave the hair not the skin, blunt blades cause cuts, razor burn or worse from pushing harder

If you can’t find anyone local give me hoi and I will sort it out

Cheers
Dion

Welcome aboard, @horgo99 !

Like you, I went from a cartridge, straight to a straight. My original weapon of choice was a Wester with a Spike Tip... not the wisest thing for a beginner. The spike tip can leave a claret trail along your face, if you're not paying attention, as I found out a fair few times. My first shaves took about 45 minutes, I was so nervous. Now I can get 2 passes over a 2-week beard in under 20.

My main runner lately is a 1930's Puma, that I honed up about 8 months ago. It seems happy to keep the edge with a little pre- and post-shave stropping, on a cheap leather belt. Each blade will have it's own idiosyncrasies, depending on the blade shape, height, the soap, and of course the pressure that you use. The shape of the Dovo seems to be pretty user-friendly. It looks like my Puma, in shape.

There are plenty of soaps to choose from, so dig deep into your wallet, until you hit one that suits your style.

Don't forget to jump on Youtube. There is a wealth of videos about straight razor shaving technique. It definitely helped me when I first started.

Questions? Ask away!

Hi @horgo99 ,

I'm also a fan of straight razors, I don't use them exclusively but for me they are the superior shave. I also use DE's and SE's.

My advice would be to grab one (or more) of @Nonicks straights for sale at the moment (very good value, see this link). Personally I'd pick up the 6/8 Bengall. Research some suitable stones for honing and learn to maintain your own straights. If you are going to shave exclusively with straights then it will be more sustainable if you own a few straights and can maintain them yourself.

When I started honing I felt more comfortable learning on an older blade than a new one. Probably good idea to get someone to hone your Dovo as soon as you can arrange it. I've honed a couple of new Dovo's for a nephew and they definitely weren't shave ready. Getting your Dovo honed will let you experience a freshly honed blade and gives you a benchmark if you go down the track of honing yourself.

Lot's of great advice to be had on P&C. There may be varying points of view but you'll work out for yourself which way you want to go.

Have fun & welcome.

Hi and welcome @horgo99
Just starting to use straights as well. Still wont be giving up the DE's any time soon. I can attest to the "get it honed" line of thought. I recently picked up one of DC Blades straights and had been given a brand new unused Dovo. The difference in shave ability is light years. The Dovo is sharp don't get me wrong but the edge on the the honed razor is a lot nicer to shave with.
As for soaps and brushes they are a personal thing. What you may like others, will not be a fan of. Do have a look at some of the local offerings though. There are some, in my opinion, brilliants soaps here.
Welcome to the edge of the rabbit hole.

Welcome @horgo99

Started the same way. Jumped straight from Bic disposables, read an article on straight shaving (wasn't even a shaving website) and thought, "That's for me". Don't let the nicks & cuts (read blood and lots of it) or lack of progress deter you. One day, one shave it will fall into place. Although now a beard-wearer, I stall got my straights because when I wake up one morning and decide it's time for a shave, straights it will be.