Suitably Attired Bowling

nervosa1901

This will be the first of, I'm sure, many posts by me on the subject of APR products. I have been in this hobby for a number of years and have tried almost everything there is to try. For a bit of perspective, I tend to focus almost exclusively on products out of Europe. Le Pere Lucien is probably my favorite artisanal maker in Europe. I am a massive fan of both Santa Maria Novella and Acqua di Parma, among others, in the realm of mass produced products.

Up until a few months ago, I had been out of the buying game for awhile. I decided it was time to see what else was out there that was new and shiny. Maggard was the obvious first stop for me. I had a browse and came across the APR product section. What struck me at first was how clean the labelling came across. I loved the idea changes to the coloration of the labels with the change in season. I picked a few soaps and splashes that sounded appetizing, put them in the cart, and paid.

I was not prepared for what I was about to experience. My first shave was with Fresca. Performance of the soap was excellent and the scent was in line with what I tend to experience with the European products I have come to love. When I moved on to the splash, I was blown away. My face has never felt like this after a shave. Magnificent.

Decided that the next shave should be with SAS. It's hotter than hell up here in Virginia at the moment, so I wanted to use something warm weather appropriate. I was aware, having read the description, that the scent associated with this soap and splash was inspired by Green Irish Tweed. I am a huge fan of Creed. I have a 1000ml bottle of Aventus on the top shelf of my shaving cabinet. I generally do not buy from soap makers who simply attempt to clone scents. I think it shows a distinct lack of imagination and is simply a money grab by someone using a famous name to draw customers in.

I am intimately familiar with the scent notes of Green Irish Tweed. As I read the notes for SAS, I saw the departure and knew immediately this would something I had to try it. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made during the course of my journey with this hobby. The scent of this soap did something for me that no other shaving soap has been able to accomplish: it transported me to a happier place. It brought back memories of palm trees and sand associated with many wonderful vacations. I have used the soap in subsequent shaves, and I get the same feeling every time.

Now on to the splash... I did not know it was mentholated before I used it. The first time I used it, I shook several drops from the bottle into my hands, expecting to experience the silky smooth feeling I got from Fresca. What I experienced this time was nothing short of the finest aftershave splash I have ever used. Really. We need more APR with menthol.

Knowing the seasonal nature of APR and me being one unwilling to live with the notion of running out of something this good anytime soon, I ran back to Maggard and nearly cleared the shelves of SAS stock. So I now present to you, my APR SAS bowling alley...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/166511617@N06/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/166511617@N06/

Last edited:
STEEEEEEE-RIKE!

SAS is excellent as a scent, and @todras really extended himself to get the accords right without resorting to FO's either.... It is all EOs and perfume chemistry. While I do enjoy the soaps, as you noted the AS is basically the best around at the pricepoint and you would need to spend north of double to get the performance and scenting that you get in APR. The scenting strength is also much higher than most splashes, and is done with less ethanol content.

There are a lucky few of us down under with what you would call APR Unobtainium. Very limited release, extra strength scented product, some forum-only releases. I was lucky enough to receive my very own AS scenting, another member was also granted a scent which was never for sale - it was passed out though the community (and it is so damn strong, you cannot apply it if going on public transport within 2-3 hours!)

If you find any around, the Ozymandias is next-level and just smells so damn good it's insane. But don't worry, SAS will make a comeback at some point I am sure. There's some LE's coming soon and you want to get Florian when it hits. The Lavioletta also will be pretty special. In fact, the entire APR release schedule looks pretty amazing.

MONSTA, Im one step ahead of you. Ozymandias is superb. Used it this evening, in fact. I enjoy high end fragrances (I am a Roja Parfums enthusiast) and you can only imagine my pleasant surprise by the level of artistry displayed with respect to these products.

Yesterday's shave was my first spin with Coeur de Vert. I am a huge fan of the powdery aspect of Penhaligon's Sartorial shaving soap, balm, and edt. I find CdV to be similar in that regard, yet BETTER. This will also become a staple (with several units to fall back on for the foreseeable future, I think).

APR indeed does produce a top tier product that holds it's own world wide.
The guy behind it is alright as well I suppose... ;)
If you ever get the chance to come visit us here, let us know in advance when and where, so the chances of you attending a meet up are increased.
A Sydney meet up may even see you meet the maker for a chat over a meal and a few beverages... if he's free.

If you've not already been recommended or tried to following, another quality product worth trying is Squadron Soaps, which are a decent all round no fuss approach product that works and a company that APR has done one collaboration with thus far.

Your suggestion regarding SS is noted, Borked. A trip to AUS may be in the cards down the road.

Maggard had one orphan bottle of SAS splash remaining, which I just picked up, along with a spare CdV splash. North America is now officially sold out of SAS.

I cannot wait for the new releases next week...

Your suggestion regarding SS is noted, Borked. A trip to AUS may be in the cards down the road.

Maggard had one orphan bottle of SAS splash remaining, which I just picked up, along with a spare CdV splash. North America is now officially sold out of SAS.

I cannot wait for the new releases next week...

I think we will need to make you an honorary Aussie after those purchases!

I think we will need to make you an honorary Aussie after those purchases!

What an honor.

I’ll be dipping my toe into the parfum segment of the Reserve this week with the purchase of Ozymandias.

Cleared out the rest of Maggard’s CdV splash stock. By the end of the year, I should be able to update the bowling alley photo with something a bit more worthwhile and impressive to look at.