SYD Sydney Meetup - Saturday April 22nd - 1.30pm - 4.30pm

8i5VtZg.jpg

Another enjoyable afternoon of talking shaving, smelling soaps and sharing fragrances.

I bought along the new APR line, we all checked out Petrichor (both the B&M offering) and the pure form, some L&L Chatillon Lux goodness but without a doubt the star of the show was @borked and his extensive collection of Fougères which in my book were equalled only by @Monsta_AU bringing along some very nice timepieces.

There were 5 of us this time and I think in many ways the dynamic worked really well. We had some good conversations which after all was the purpose of the meetup's :)

We will post the details shortly on the next meetup, which will be on May 20th at this stage.

Thanks guys, had a great time - see you all for the next one :)

That @borked is ALWAYS a star :)

I'm sad to have missed those timepieces of @Monsta_AU, that would have been worth the price of admission.

What was the view of the B&M Petrichor? I used mine this morning :)

Did you hog tie @Itsonlyblood because he was unshaven and get the straight razor out to tidy him up?

What was the view of the B&M Petrichor? I used mine this morning :)

I 'trigger pulled' on a set last week, I cannot <cough> wait until next Spring <cough>to use it....

Neil's collection of perfumes, soaps and such like really made my day, there was one point I had 9 or 10 Fougère soaps and 12 Fougère EDP's in front of me. It was 'off the hook' as they say, I really appreciate @borked taking the time to bring them along. Some old favourites, and a fair few very special numbers there that he seemed reluctant to sell to me, or trade for that matter!

I also bought a highly diluted vial of Geosmin along for people to smell, it readily diffused throughout the entire area.

I'm sad to have missed those timepieces of @Monsta_AU, that would have been worth the price of admission.

I am not was not much of a watch fan, but he had a very, very nice Melbourne watch which I immediately offered to buy, I will now go in search of one as it appealed to me that much. It was conservative, beautifully set and had a nice suitable band on it, a very well made watch and something I could definitely wear. There were a couple of gold numbers there too and he was sporting a very fancy watch himself. I think he may have converted me to another rather expensive hobby /sigh

Did you hog tie @Itsonlyblood because he was unshaven and get the straight razor out to tidy him up?

Until I saw his wheels yes, but his vehicle made up for it big-time...yeah I like a big block on occasion.

One thing that struck me as odd mate, there were not as many razors as when you came @Mark1966, funny thing that..

Great to catch up with everyone - some amazing Fougere soaps and scents - was definitely the "theme" of the afternoon. Very interesting to see all the iterations - @borked has an extremely impressive collection of soaps and vintage aftershaves.

Thanks @todras for chance to try L&M Bison kidney-fat tallow soaps and the Chatillon Lux new releases as well as 'pure' Petrichor scent.

Good to meet @Itsonlyblood for the first time and of course the other 'usual suspects' ;) for a very pleasant and informative afternoon. Even the Pub staff are getting used to us now and don't bat an eyelid at the weirdos with the Petrichor bottles at Table 15 :LOL:

Looking forward to next meeting.

I 'trigger pulled' on a set last week, I cannot <cough> wait until next Spring <cough>to use it....

Well some of us are scent philistines it seems and will you any SMELL at any TIME ;)

Neil's collection of perfumes, soaps and such like really made my day, there was one point I had 9 or 10 Fougère soaps and 12 Fougère EDP's in front of me. It was 'off the hook' as they say, I really appreciate @borked taking the time to bring them along. Some old favourites, and a fair few very special numbers there that he seemed reluctant to sell to me, or trade for that matter!

Neil is a dead set legend, very generous and a great part of this place with a lot to contribute - but I trust that he continues to stay strong and not sell!

I also bought a highly diluted vial of Geosmin along for people to smell, it readily diffused throughout the entire area.

I can imagine the other punters wondering what that smell was ...

I am not was not much of a watch fan, but he had a very, very nice Melbourne watch which I immediately offered to buy, I will now go in search of one as it appealed to me that much. It was conservative, beautifully set and had a nice suitable band on it, a very well made watch and something I could definitely wear. There were a couple of gold numbers there too and he was sporting a very fancy watch himself. I think he may have converted me to another rather expensive hobby /sigh

LOL - just a hint then - don't visit some of our other members in western parts of Australia (you know who you are) because you might go broke!

Until I saw his wheels yes, but his vehicle made up for it big-time...yeah I like a big block on occasion.

WHAT! Brought off by a big block? Such shame ...

One thing that struck me as odd mate, there were not as many razors as when you came @Mark1966, funny thing that..

Hmmm, wonder why ...

Sound like I missed out :(. There is always next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you guys had a good time (y)

Another enjoyable afternoon of talking shaving, smelling soaps and sharing fragrances.

There were 5 of us this time and I think in many ways the dynamic worked really well. We had some good conversations which after all was the purpose of the meetup's :)

We will post the details shortly on the next meetup, which will be on May 20th at this stage.

Yes, it was great to see the new face of @Itsonlyblood too.

I had the new Glycine Airman on me today, it was suitably admired by those in attendance. I know that Neil really liked it, and I think we need to work out his next purchase. He did bring in a few older watches, a couple in we ussed condition but two that were actually in very good nick.

I was suprised to find out we share a very similar wrist size, I thought his wrist would be about an inch larger in circumference than mine as a bigger bloke. This means the 44mm Steinhart GMT's are probably out of contention.

For reference of @borked and @Rami - I have put my previous Melbourne Watch Company 'Hawthorn' onto the tan strap. My new Bergeon springbar tool arrived this week which finally made it possible to get the bracelet off. So from looking like this, it now looks like this!

e1dae2c7aa24f88d52480e576d4ee6ba_original.jpg

I really like the sorty element the strap brings, while on the bracelet it is a bit more dressy. A very flexible timepiece and one I am very pleased ti have purchased. It is a shame that Suj has decided to no longer produce them as I reckon they are cracking value for money.

And while Dan did offer to buy it if I ever feel like getting rid of it, as my first proper automatic it is very unlikely. I will keep my eye out for any up for sale, they do come up on WUS and other sites every so often. They were indeed a Kickstarter Project too, so there are probably a couple of thousand around worldwide.

There are a tonne of other great Kickstarter and micro-brand watches floating around, hopefully the Karlskronas will arrive before the next meetup. Again, really good value for money.

Sound like I missed out :(. There is always next time.
You have something else to bring next time....

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guys.
Reading through them leaves me looking like ====>> :shame:
It definitely wouldn't be possible without the wonderful laid back nature of this place and it's inhabitants :)

The meet up was the usual fun that one would expect :)
I think I saved a few folks from purchases they would regret, yet also introduced items in lieu of those discarded items, so it's all good :p
It's why I bring what I can and encourage others to do so too, so we all can increase our buying knowledge and reduce underwhelming purchases.

Any requests for the next meet up?
I thinking of bringing an example of each vintage blade I have.
Mainly so I don't have to carry a box, a gladstone bag and another bag full of gear :p

8i5VtZg.jpg

I bought along the new APR line, we all checked out Petrichor (both the B&M offering) and the pure form, some L&L Chatillon Lux goodness but without a doubt the star of the show was @borked and his extensive collection of Fougères which in my book were equalled only by @Monsta_AU bringing along some very nice timepieces.

Looks like a interesting meet and I'd love to make a trip up for a meet one day.
But...

I had a couple of Beers, but that was right at the end as we were starting to pack up.

:)
I had a couple of Beers, but that was right at the end as we were starting to pack up.
I felt sure you guys must have had a couple but looking at the photo the only alcohol on the table seems to be denatured.

:)

I felt sure you guys must have had a couple but looking at the photo the only alcohol on the table seems to be denatured.
Waste not, want not!