Sydney straight shaver salutations

Holiday, TBH I find shopping for shave cream in local shops almost impossible. I just went to Westfields Parramatta and the best I saw was canned shave foam, or crummy plastic toothpaste tubes with cheap shave cream.

I bought my Proraso from Puremale but they have gone bust (they had a 50% off sale just prior to closing!)
Looks somebody needs to PM @Straight up about the special B&B ;):X3: @Holiday

Holiday, TBH I find shopping for shave cream in local shops almost impossible. I just went to Westfields Parramatta and the best I saw was canned shave foam, or crummy plastic toothpaste tubes with cheap shave cream.

I bought my Proraso from Puremale but they have gone bust (they had a 50% off sale just prior to closing!)

Should have walked into the Shaver Shop. They are pretty much in every large shopping centre Australia wide, including Westfield's. They have a full range of Proraso products, plus limited supplies from the British and German big names.

These guys for an online shop are very good.
https://www.beardandblade.com.au

Welcome mate.

I fell into the Japanese blades rabbit hole, but had to stop with little fingers reaching out to grab stuff. Will be pulling them out soon.

Holiday, TBH I find shopping for shave cream in local shops almost impossible. I just went to Westfields Parramatta and the best I saw was canned shave foam, or crummy plastic toothpaste tubes with cheap shave cream...
If you like bricks and mortar shops, IIRC there's a Shaver Shop at Westfield Parramatta, and they usually have a few "proper" shave soaps or creams, though I've no idea what they're like. Otherwise if you're looking specifically for Proraso, there's always Beard & Blade. Check This Thread for a useful discount code.

Looks like I should have refreshed the page before posting that, sorry about the duplicate info. The code is still relevant, though...

Also check out vshod.com, they have a great range, and give super-fast service.

Gargravarr,

Thanks for the links, I had seen the magic discount codes the other night :D

I have looked at the Shaver Shop, and they are ok but the range is limited. I bought my Proraso red from them a few months back (liking the Green so much, I had to try the rest of the range).

Substance, I agree about the casual nature of the site. It's a big draw card, not sure if it's because it's mostly an Australian site or the site's policies are more open. Either way I like it. I tried posting on B&B in the Great Southern Land section, telling them about this site and was warned that talking about other, similar sites, was a no no.

Substance, I agree about the casual nature of the site. It's a big draw card, not sure if it's because it's mostly an Australian site or the site's policies are more open. Either way I like it. I tried posting on B&B in the Great Southern Land section, telling them about this site and was warned that talking about other, similar sites, was a no no.
Yes, well some people do take themselves very seriously. And some people, of course, are just tossers. :p

You have to start somewhere and starting is the main thing. I struggled for a while with the chin & had to use a cart to get it smooth. I have never had a problem with the 'fools pass', to me it feels like any other stroke.

My son had a straight shave today and showed me the results; quite smooth but a few cat scratches on the jaw line. He only uses a straight now (he's 18) but shaves infrequently, so more practice needed. It all comes with time and muscle memory. BUT loose concentration and stuff goes wrong. I got a nasty nick on my strop the other morning, probably best to be wide awake when shaving!

@bald as -

Yep I hone my blades but very rarely. I have a King 4K stone and a synthetic 3/8K. I only bought them this year because of a Spanish razor I bought in Toledo Spain which was blunt as. I figured that if I could sharpen it I could actually use it (it had sat unused in my bedroom for years). The razor was junk, the steel was very soft and was probably made to be looked at rather than used.

I also bought 6 Chinese razors this year and had to sharpen them so they would actually shave. Now they all pass the HHT and give great shaves.

Prior to this I had never honed a blade. When I started in 98 I read some advice on The Knife Centre's web site warning that you should never do it. So I never did. Fortunately, my TI, Schulz, and older Chinese blade were fine and needed nothing more that CroX to keep them sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to start somewhere and starting is the main thing. I struggled for a while with the chin & had to use a cart to get it smooth. I have never had a problem with the 'fools pass', to me it feels like any other stroke.

My son had a straight shave today and showed me the results; quite smooth but a few cat scratches on the jaw line. He only uses a straight now (he's 18) but shaves infrequently, so more practice needed. It all comes with time and muscle memory. BUT loose concentration and stuff goes wrong. I got a nasty nick on my strop the other morning, probably best to be wide awake when shaving!
Glad to hear that your son is starting to use a straight razor. Most SR shavers wish they had started in their teens. It is something that he will always fondly remember you for, every day that he shaves.

Rbscebu, seeing the results of his shaves reminds me of the 'fun' I had when I started. I often see 'cat scratches' on his chin & the shave isn't as smooth as it could be. But you have to start somewhere and rapidly improve. He's able to do the whole shave without resorting to a cart and does it within 20 minutes, but doesn't shave frequently enough. It's not that he can't, it's more like he's lazy & shaves once per week. I'm soon going to let him shave with a nice razor (Thiers Issard) to let him feel the difference, now that he's got the basics down.