Tabac Re-Formulated - Now Tallow Free

There, I finally admit it, I've tried neither MWF or Tabac, two supposed staples of traditional shaving.

Soap making has come a long way in the last few years. There was a time when I would agree with that sentiment, but I'm prepared to admit that there are probably lots of non-tallow soaps around now that are about as good.

100% agree.

@SpeedyPC have you tried the reformulated Haslinger Schafmilch or Saponificio Varesino?

@SpeedyPC have you tried the reformulated Haslinger Schafmilch or Saponificio Varesino?
No.... Haven't tried the new reformulated Haslinger Schafmilch, because, I've got 10 tallow version and 3 grated tallow into a tub.

IMG-0823.jpg

Please Sir, could you kindly gift a peer in need a stick?
I'll even gracefully accept the tub of your beloved MWF you promised ages ago, despite my reservations over it.
I'll even suffer a tub of Tabac on top of the MWF, just to see one of those full SIR tubes on my shelf!
You might even manage to pride a SH tub from my hands in exchange?

giphy.gif

These two FANTASTIC NOS Sir Irisch Moos sticks are all MINE!!!!!!

IMG-0973.jpg

Last edited:
I hear the non Tallow version is just as good if not better but honestly... the pessimist inside of me says No!

It really bothers me when things like this happen because even if I have one or two of the old formula I just don't want to use it up.

I don't understand this objection to tallow all of a sudden. Unless I am incorrect but isn't Tallow a by-product of meat which would otherwise be thrown away or used for another purpose. I hardly think there are soap makers out there killing off animals purely for tallow, that would be incredibly stupid and wasteful. The way I see it is that we are simply making use of an element that would other wise go to waste.
Perplexing to say the least.

I am aware of vegans and such but I would have thought they'd be using turnip juice or something else to shave with. :p
Seriously though I feel like there is enough of a demand and market to accommodate both sides of the fence. I would suggest that his has more to do with costs and also availability.

I don't object to a brand starting off as a Vegan based soap and carrying on with that tradition because in that sense you know what you are getting and that is a consistent soap all the way through the run. I just think it sucks when a brand suddenly changes formula and expects everyone to be on board with it. Hi Tabac we are talking about you.

One thing that really echo's in my mind is the fact that the manufacturers from Tabac probably see the increase in sales and assume they have nailed it with their latest offerings. :yuck:

Last edited:
Soap making has come a long way in the last few years. There was a time when I would agree with that sentiment, but I'm prepared to admit that there are probably lots of non-tallow soaps around now that are about as good.

My Goodfellows Smile is a lather monster with thick yoghurty sheen in little time. One of the best I have 👍

It's probably OK: the way these things are formulated, if you really want to knock down a yak at 40 paces, all you have to do is just use twice as much EDT as you would EDC. Simple... :whistle:

I really despise companies that do this.

For years and years I used Le Male (JPG) and it was my 'trademark' scent. Then they 're-formulated' it.. which meant they added water to it. It's not a shadow of what it once was.

I used to use 1 spray and the smell would linger in any room I walked in hours later. Now it lingers when it hits you directly and basically gone by the time you put your watch on.

The only scent I have these days with any kick is Virgin Island Water, and even that doesn't punch. Tom Ford Vanille Fatale is like a kick to the face with a 6 inch stiletto, but for $400 a pop? no chance.

Is why I despise the IFRA.
Just legislate and regulate appropriate allergens warnings on the product same in particular it a packaging.
We could of avoided shitting upon the soul of multiple classic scents and any reformulation would be entirely the companies being tightarses, thus face the wrath of the public nor buying the product, rather than hide behind the IFRA.

Vegan Tabac sticks (refills) are now appearing on store shelves in Germany.

full

You have been warned.
giphy.gif

VEGAN!!!! Tabac.

Thank goodness I’ve got 2.2kg of Tabac refill tallow in my den, next week I’m going to grate one puck of tabac tallow and one puck of Mitchell’s Wool Fat, mixed them all up into a tub with a label called TA’ FAT!!!

giphy.gif

VEGAN!!!! Tabac.

Thank goodness I’ve got 2.2kg of Tabac refill tallow in my den, next week I’m going to grate one puck of tabac tallow and one puck of Mitchell’s Wool Fat, mixed them all up into a tub with a label called TA’ FAT!!!

I hear ya speedy.. i got a few up my sleeve too :)

started using a new puck for all October and its barely been used.. were good for a long while yet