Tell me the truth - I can handle it!

Just thinking out loud...and it might be a long term idea:

If we get 10 or more people together and every one chips in ~20$, I could organise a decent badger brush (at this stage probably a Paladin 26mm fan), order it, clean it properly and break it in. I'd write in a manual on how to properly use it, clean it, ship it on etc

Then a tour of the brush to every one involved - you can have the brush for 2 weeks each and at the end the brush can go either into the next traveling box or be auctioned off at the next charity auction, or...

That way every one who always wanted could try a high end badger for ~30$ (price of the brush + shipping to the next person)

Please remove @Monsta_AU if it sounds too crazy...

I have a badger brush that was really quite expensive to buy (a 26mm Platypus). While it’s not at the real high end it’s enough to give a pretty good idea. It’s a lovely brush and sometimes I just want that densely packed, low loft, lather hog feeling.

But I reach for it less than my Omega 48. That’s a brilliant brush but is still second fiddle to my Nonnos old boar brush, which he used for many years (the smell of Palmolive cream can’t be removed now). The tips on that are so split and wispy it’s in another world of face feel. A world where I can use a heap less pressure and it will still load and lather better than anything else I have. The peculiarly modern obsession with backbone is irrelevant in this context - I much prefer using less pressure and getting better results.

BTW That was Omegas premium bristle (eg italian flag) back in the day - the same stuff ABC and Zenith use for their brushes - with years worth of breaking in. Anyone who has just used a normal boar for a few months can have no idea how good the big ones can get after a few years. My next brush will probably be an Italian flag and I will just enjoy the process of breaking it in - like my 48. For me it’s the feel of and lather from those wispy split tips that elevates a good boar above the best badger - eventually. Nothing beats being able to use less pressure for a better esult.

But for the last few months I have been on a half lap of oz with the family. In the context of tent camping I need a quick lather, no soak, quick dry and economical on soap, as well as excellent lather. No matter how much I spend on badgers I will never get a brush as good as my cheap synth fir that...